Brisbane Area's

Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

wmckellar will become famous soon enough
Default Brisbane Area's

Ladies and Gents,

Hope you all had a good Crimbo and all the best for the New Year ! !

I have just had confirmation that my visa has been approved and all i need to do now is send my passport away to be stamped in London -Yipeee.

I am just in the process of selling my house in Scotland and all is looking good on that front too - So all going well should be in Brisbane for Feb, March latest next year.

Here is the Big QUESTION, looking for some info on the up and coming area's around Brisbane, where is nice to live and where to look out for? I would like to live as close as possible to Brisbane Centre, but it seems property there is quite a bit more expensive than the outskirts. I would be happy living 30 mins from CBD as long as there was good transport facilities. Can anyone please help me???

Also, Looking to get a car as soon as poss after arriving, anyone know anywhere is Brisbane i could pick up a decent second hand car?? As you can no get credit at first will have to probs be a run around - any help would be good.

Cheers

Will
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Area's

Originally Posted by wmckellar
Ladies and Gents,

I have just had confirmation that my visa has been approved and all i need to do now is send my passport away to be stamped in London -Yipeee.

I am just in the process of selling my house in Scotland and all is looking good on that front too - So all going well should be in Brisbane for Feb, March latest next year.

Here is the Big QUESTION, looking for some info on the up and coming area's around Brisbane, where is nice to live and where to look out for? I would like to live as close as possible to Brisbane Centre, but it seems property there is quite a bit more expensive than the outskirts. I would be happy living 30 mins from CBD as long as there was good transport facilities. Can anyone please help me???

Also, Looking to get a car as soon as poss after arriving, anyone know anywhere is Brisbane i could pick up a decent second hand car?? As you can no get credit at first will have to probs be a run around - any help would be good.

Cheers

Will

Hi Will

We managed to get credit for a car as soon as we arrived, and the garage we bought it from said that they don't have problems getting finance for migrants so you could be ok on that one.

As to where to live, that is the question!! You will find some people who prefer north of the river then people like us who prefer south of the river. No particular reason for this other than we drove round and just preferred south.
To be 30mins from the CBD you have a wide choice as some of the bayside suburbs like Manly are I think 30 mins away and also have a good train link. I think it all depends on what you are wanting from an area and if you have kids etc.
We chose the Wellington Point/ Ormiston area as it is quiet and has a nice feel to it, but some would say it is too quiet.

Sorry I have not been much use really have I?

Amanda
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

wmckellar will become famous soon enough

Amanda,
I am 26 years old and my parner is 24, Elaine has her own salon in Scotland wwhich she has just sold and wants to work in a BIG salon in Brisbane centre. I am in I.T and think i should have a good choice in the centre also. We would liketo live in a Newish scheme, not too far from CBD and good transport links. It would be nice to live near the water as i have done all my life . . .any help would be good.

P.S don't have kids or pets for the record . . . .

Thanks

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi Will

We managed to get credit for a car as soon as we arrived, and the garage we bought it from said that they don't have problems getting finance for migrants so you could be ok on that one.

As to where to live, that is the question!! You will find some people who prefer north of the river then people like us who prefer south of the river. No particular reason for this other than we drove round and just preferred south.
To be 30mins from the CBD you have a wide choice as some of the bayside suburbs like Manly are I think 30 mins away and also have a good train link. I think it all depends on what you are wanting from an area and if you have kids etc.
We chose the Wellington Point/ Ormiston area as it is quiet and has a nice feel to it, but some would say it is too quiet.

Sorry I have not been much use really have I?

Amanda
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda,
I am 26 years old and my parner is 24, Elaine has her own salon in Scotland wwhich she has just sold and wants to work in a BIG salon in Brisbane centre. I am in I.T and think i should have a good choice in the centre also. We would liketo live in a Newish scheme, not too far from CBD and good transport links. It would be nice to live near the water as i have done all my life . . .any help would be good.

P.S don't have kids or pets for the record . . . .

Thanks
Manly is by the water so that could be a good choice for you.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies and Gents,

Cheers

Will
Try this link for car info - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342455

and this one for burbs info - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341154

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ginny