Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Area - Boat Owners?

Brisbane Area - Boat Owners?

Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane Area - Boat Owners?

Been thinking of getting a boat when we get to Brissie next year. Never owned one before, so Im really ignorant about the whole subject, but I really fancy a smallish speedboat.

Any boaties out there that can offer some advice with regard to places with boat ramps, clubs, startup costs etc. Any tips or other useful bits of info will also be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any info................
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:01 pm
WBB

Default Re: Brisbane Area - Boat Owners?

Originally posted by mh929
Been thinking of getting a boat when we get to Brissie next year. Never owned one before, so Im really ignorant about the whole subject, but I really fancy a smallish speedboat.

Any boaties out there that can offer some advice with regard to places with boat ramps, clubs, startup costs etc. Any tips or other useful bits of info will also be most welcome.

i think it was mrs dagboy who started a thread on this a couple of months ago, do a search it is all here somewhere.

Old Nov 26th 2003, 10:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MH,

We have a *largeish* boat ie 31 foot, so it has to be permanently moored, not the same as what you are looking at. But if you want some info on clubs etc have a look at this thread
Know anything about Brisbane - on that second page there is quite a bit of info about boat clubs & lots of websites, also on this one
Boating in Brisbane theres some info.

Ceri has a small trailerable boat, if you have any specific questions she can probably answer them better than I can, but Im always willing to try, so yell if you need to know anything .

(Billy, the search function is stuffed, I had to troll back through all of my 885 posts to find those bloody threads LOL)
Old Nov 27th 2003, 1:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

How long is a piece of string? In regard to costs of boats. It depends on the age of the boat to the size and age of the motor.. you can actually pick up a boat very cheaply.. it's the motor that costs the most .. ie you are paying for that motor on the boat.. if you go for an older model boat with an old motor (ie 1980's models) .. you can pick up a boat very cheaply indeed .. starting under 5 grand .. and then upwards.. depends on what you are after.

Motors... need fully serviced every year, or at least every couple of years.. well it's in your best interest to do it.

Browse the "trading post" ads for second hand boats to get an idea of costs of the model you are after.

Boat ramps... anywhere there is water- seriously. If you want a list of all the boat ramps in Brisbane buy Beacon to Beacon (boating map book) There are good and bad ramps.. ie shallow water, single lane ,and no pontoon - or a decent one with a pontoon.. ie the one at the Brisbane river is one of the best around here - pontoon and also the one down the Gold coast.

clubs.. again how long is a piece of string. Buy "bush N beach" or queensland fishing monthly to get a list of various clubs, or open up the yellow pages.

For a boat course and boat licence try "Archie's boat training centre"... he'll be in the yellow pages.

Queensland transport has the books/leaflets on safety, learning the beacons, buoys and marks , licensing, and laws regarding boats.

other start up costs besides the boat itself... all safety gear.. which include lifejackets, V sheets, flares which are compulsory.

You pay an annual rego each year for the trailer and the boat. Both are inexpensive. - I actually just renewed mine yesterday at the transport office , it came to $144. for a trailer and the boat.. don't ask me the individual cost I don't know , I paid them together as I was changing my address at the same time.. so never received a mail out bill.

Best advice - start by looking at the queensland transport site regarding the laws on boat licencing, next browse the small adds, then when you get here.. get the a safety guide (it's a book) in Queensland transport, next go on go on a safety course (you'd be surprised at some of the idiots out on the water, people losing their lives at doing idiotic things.. ie weather related, hitting sandbanks because they can't read cardinal, lateral marks and isolated danger marks) .. "Archie's" is a good one. You'll need a boat licence anyway ..he does both. It cost me around $100 (can't remember the exact cost .. it's probably gone up anyway since) a few years back.. for a two day licence test/course The licence itself has gone virtual.. I took my test a few years ago.. test included course.. practical in his boat up the river and towards mud island... then you have a paper with a load of questions .. ie what beacon is this? and questions regarding all the usual safety issues... weather, tide weather against tide. ... Don't ask me what the exact questions were.. I can't remember. You then swapped papers with your "classmates" and they marked them for you...

I had 100% right... hubby had 99% lol (I don't let him forget that one )

Hope that is of some help. you are asking such a huge question -which has a million and one answers Cheers

P.S

http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/f...D=44&CAT_ID=13 The Aus sportsfish site - this is the boat forum.. may be of some help to you, if you want to browse through the posts to get an idea.. or post any queries.

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 27th 2003 at 1:09 am.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Billy, Mrs Dag and Ceri. I was just after some info to get me started, and you have certainly given me some things to be looking at. I did actually try a search, but as Mrs Dag stated, there were some problems.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Martin
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:33 am
ABCDiamond

Martin
My sister lives in Victoria Point, and she is into the boats, got loads of friends and contacts, and always going out fishing on Moreton Bay.
She can point you in the right direction, and if you are into fishing, well, she is Public Relations for the local fishing club too.

Let me know if I can help.

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Martin
My sister lives in Victoria Point, and she is into the boats, got loads of friends and contacts, and always going out fishing on Moreton Bay.
She can point you in the right direction, and if you are into fishing, well, she is Public Relations for the local fishing club too.

Let me know if I can help.
Thanks ABC - may take you up on that offer when we get out there next year!