Wikiposts

Brisbane area?

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough
Default Brisbane area?

just wondering if there are any construction workers on the site preferably bricklayers. Can i litterally get off the plane and start working, if so is there plenty of work about. Also just wanting to know about the money situation (daywork/pricework)and how much on average do they get paid???? Any info would be much obliged. One last question do they start and finish early due to the hot weather???
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

can't say specifically about brickies, but we were in brisbane in january and there was certainly a lot of sites on the go
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:26 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure that kevwalt is a brickie & he managed to get work fairly quickly. He will probably be able to help out with the specifics .
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

coll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane area?

Originally posted by JJL family
just wondering if there are any construction workers on the site preferably bricklayers. Can i litterally get off the plane and start working, if so is there plenty of work about. Also just wanting to know about the money situation (daywork/pricework)and how much on average do they get paid???? Any info would be much obliged. One last question do they start and finish early due to the hot weather???

There is plenty of work for all trades,average day work rate is $40 an hour,but price work is better.
Hours on site start from 6am.finish at about 4pm.
It gets so hot in the summer you are almost dead by lunch time .
BUT!!!!! be warned!! you cannot just get off the plane and work,although your trade will have been okay'd by T.R.A,you will need to apply for a builders licence,and that requires a course at taff(college),only 40 hours though,it's to make sure you know how the system works,tax etc.
Without that you will not get a licence and no licence no work.
Also without a tax file number which takes 28 days on arrival you cannot get a licence anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JJL family
Been on Sunshine Coast since Nov 03. I am a brickie by trade. These are the facts (in my experience):

- You apply for your Tax File No but you can still work whilst that is being processed.
- You do NOT need a licence to work as a sub contractor. You can apply for an Australian Business No. over the internet if you want to get paid gross of tax. If you do this, you need to apply for a tax return at end of financial year (June/Jul).
- Wages (in my experience) on site are $25 an hour. This might go up to $30 an hour if working in Brisbane area.
- Can't say about price work - haven't worked out how they do this yet!
- Don't expect easy ride on site. They work you like trojans. You work really hard in the hot hot hot sun all day long from 7am to 3.30pm.
- Mainly block laying which are hollow pots which are filled with concrete. Very different to working in UK so be warned - took me quite a while to get used to different sized blocks.

Hope this helps
Good luck!
If your in the Noosa area, get in touch. When are you coming out here?
KimandRob
Portsmouth (originally).
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:33 pm
SMC
Forum Regular

SMC is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by rob&kim
Been on Sunshine Coast since Nov 03. I am a brickie by trade. These are the facts (in my experience):

- You apply for your Tax File No but you can still work whilst that is being processed.
- You do NOT need a licence to work as a sub contractor. You can apply for an Australian Business No. over the internet if you want to get paid gross of tax. If you do this, you need to apply for a tax return at end of financial year (June/Jul).
- Wages (in my experience) on site are $25 an hour. This might go up to $30 an hour if working in Brisbane area.
- Can't say about price work - haven't worked out how they do this yet!
- Don't expect easy ride on site. They work you like trojans. You work really hard in the hot hot hot sun all day long from 7am to 3.30pm.
- Mainly block laying which are hollow pots which are filled with concrete. Very different to working in UK so be warned - took me quite a while to get used to different sized blocks.

Hope this helps
Good luck!
If your in the Noosa area, get in touch. When are you coming out here?
KimandRob
Portsmouth (originally).
Hi KimandRob

Im not a brickie but chippy moved into management.

Just wondered if you had any contacts to interigate went through the immi process, as mine could be complicated with moving away from the tools.

Any answer great.

Simon

PS i suppose you know pompy played southampton Sunday?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:45 pm
owieb

Just for reference here is a link to the ATO site which explains about tax file numbers.

It's not compulsory to have one.

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...1/005&st=&cy=1

Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SMC
Hi KimandRob

Im not a brickie but chippy moved into management.

Just wondered if you had any contacts to interigate went through the immi process, as mine could be complicated with moving away from the tools.

Any answer great.

Simon

PS i suppose you know pompy played southampton Sunday?
Hello Simon,

Great result for Pompey! That's the important bit out of the way! now down to business.

I think what your asking is do we have any contacts over here isn't it? relating to chippy work. Don't have any chippy contacts, but know there are always lots of adverts in the papers here for chippies. As far as the management side goes, not sure -

Its not clear whether your in Oz or not - have you arrived yet or are you planning too soon? If so, where are you heading for?

Rob
Old Mar 25th 2004, 7:34 am
SMC
Forum Regular

SMC is on a distinguished road

Its not clear whether your in Oz or not - have you arrived yet or are you planning too soon? If so, where are you heading for?

Rob [/QUOTE]

Hi Rob

Thanks, not in Oz yet, just starting process, will be heading for Brissy area all being well.

Simon