Brisbane Advice

Old Jan 21st 2004, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Brisbane Advice

We have our visas and are just waiting for your current home in the Cotswolds to sell. We have to verify before May 04 and therefore are planning a 'trip' in April. Could anyone offer any advice on the Carindale/Carina Heights areas. Information needed on schools (infant and high) and approx communiting time to Brisbane. Is it as expensive as it seems ? Do any ex pats live in this area ? It would be great for my 13 year old son to 'speak' to any other boys of his age - may alleviate some fears.

My husband is an Electrical Enginner and hoping to find a Management role within Brisbane.

We are not sold on this area - but will be looking around it - so if anyone has any advice on nice areas/schools etc please reply.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Advice

Originally posted by surfdude
We have our visas and are just waiting for your current home in the Cotswolds to sell. We have to verify before May 04 and therefore are planning a 'trip' in April. Could anyone offer any advice on the Carindale/Carina Heights areas. Information needed on schools (infant and high) and approx communiting time to Brisbane. Is it as expensive as it seems ? Do any ex pats live in this area ? It would be great for my 13 year old son to 'speak' to any other boys of his age - may alleviate some fears.

My husband is an Electrical Enginner and hoping to find a Management role within Brisbane.

We are not sold on this area - but will be looking around it - so if anyone has any advice on nice areas/schools etc please reply.
Carindale is close to us, but cant really help much with houses/real estate etc as Ive never been interested in the area since its all new housing estates. One thing I do know is that some parts are extremely expensive, the reason being the view from the ridge directly over to the city. Other parts are more reasonable, but still not cheap. There is a large shopping centre there, the only schools I know of is the Belmont State School (on the border of Belmont & Carindale) which apparently is quite good. Commute time would be around 30 mins, about 15-20 mins non-peak hour. Excellent bus services into the city from the area, but no train service.

I have a feeling that someone who came to our Brisbane meet before xmas actually lived in Carindale in one of the new estates there, but Im completely blank on who it was. Hopefully they may see your thread & be able to help more .
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:25 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Hi, we stayed in Capabala when we first moved here last August and looked around the area for a while before deciding where to settle. We did like the area but were drawn to the north side. There is a good shopping centre at Carindale (can't remember now if its there or Carina), very modern, good parking etc.....

Where abouts are you from in the Cotswolds? We were from Gloucester, husband from Dursley. Have you had any offers on your house?

Dawn
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Carindale is one of the most upmarket suburbs on the Southside, it's a green field site which they started about 20 years ago and they are still expanding it. Express buses from Carindale Shopping Centre to cbd take about 25 minutes in rush hour and run every 10 minutes. Driving to CBD (about 12kms) out of rush hour about 15 minutes. This is from Carindale shopping centre as Carindale is well spread out and must be one of the biggest suburbs. I expect it's one of the few suburbs where the average house size is 4 bedrooms or above. You won't get much for under $400,000 and I expect the average price is $500,000.

Carina and Carina Heights are next to Carindale closer to the city but lots more older houses, prices are more like the Brisbane average of $300,000 for 3 bedroom house.

Cannot help with schools but live close and Carindale is my main shopping centre.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by dmf
Hi, we stayed in Capabala when we first moved here last August and looked around the area for a while before deciding where to settle. We did like the area but were drawn to the north side. There is a good shopping centre at Carindale (can't remember now if its there or Carina), very modern, good parking etc.....

Where abouts are you from in the Cotswolds? We were from Gloucester, husband from Dursley. Have you had any offers on your house?

Dawn

We live in a small hamlet about four miles from Cirencester. We haven't had much luck with our house as yet - the market is very slow. We have reduced it by 50k so enable us to go to Brisbane asap, but people are just not buying here. It now looks like we will have to verify our visa in late April. Its so frustrating to go all that way and have to come back again - especially when your home in England in now a bargain !