Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brisbane or adelaide

brisbane or adelaide

Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:39 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice
Default brisbane or adelaide

family of 5 ,4 year old, 9 year old , 17 year old i am a theatre nurse hubby will have no job, hes a prison officer by vocation, any advice on these two areas would be fab thanks
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default Re: brisbane or adelaide

Originally Posted by lisabarber
family of 5 ,4 year old, 9 year old , 17 year old i am a theatre nurse hubby will have no job, hes a prison officer by vocation, any advice on these two areas would be fab thanks
you need to be more specific about what you are looking for
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

I'm sure they both have hospitals and prisons. Brisbane is much bigger than Adelaide and probably wouldn't be as big a shock to the system.

Mike.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:55 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie10990
you need to be more specific about what you are looking for
yeah, I agree.... as Mike has said though, it sounds like you and your partner could settle near any major city / town in Oz, with "no worries".
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:59 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Well I HAVE to say Adelaide!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:47 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

I have to say after living Queensland and now living in Adelaide...that adelaide is somewhat underestimated and for a family with young kids is an easier place to live....commute times....lifestyle etc...
You should visit both if you can and have a look around
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
I'm sure they both have hospitals and prisons. Brisbane is much bigger than Adelaide and probably wouldn't be as big a shock to the system.

Mike.
Why would Adelaide be a shock to the system????? I have to say Adelaide too - We have settled very well, not experienced any home sickness (touch wood) and made loads of friends - coming from the UK the weather in Adelaide is certainly seasonal - not humid. Myself and hubby are both nurses and have had no problems finding work. Housing I would guess like for like would be a little cheaper too although for how long in todays market is anyones guess

Adelaide gets thefrom me!

Lindsey
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Why would Adelaide be a shock to the system?????
I wasn't saying Adelaide would be a shock to the system and Brisbane wouldn't. Where ever you go in Australia is going to be a shock to the system. I was eluding to the fact that Brisbane is quieter (smaller) than most UK cities and Adelaide is quieter (smaller) than Brisbane. If your into quiet/small then Adelaide is the place. Horses for courses etc.

Mike.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

For somebody who's been to both places, we lived in Adelaide for 6 months, & I just loved it, at the time my youngest 2 , one 6 & one 11 just settle into their new life so easily, but my 17 year old just hated it, he said it was too boring nothing to do, & so on.
My OH, couldnt find any jobs in Adelaide, he was offered a job in south Brisbane, so we came & did reccie, but we preferred Gold Coast to live in, he travels 45 mins each way to Brisbane.
If my OH finds job in Adelaide tomorrow I wouldnt hesitate to move back there, it is such lovely place to bring your family up, also i made loads of friends, I find making friends in the GC very difficult.
All I can say what might be good for me might not be good for you or your family, now my eldest son say he thinks Adelaide was much nicer place to be.

Adelaide is very friendly city/ people gets the

for well paid job Brisbane gets
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Yatala Radio is a hoot, but seriously plenty of work for your OH in adelaide

Last edited by deryans; Feb 20th 2008 at 7:58 am. Reason: correct spelling of St Quentin :D
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

We loved both, did a reccie in Adelaide and loved it. OH a chippie so work in both area's and i'm a beautician.
We eventually plumped for Brisbane (gympie to be exact), quiet small town but not too hick 45 mins from the sunshine coast, Fraser Island on the door step, freindly people and the wages were better up here than Adelaide for my OH. As for house prices i think they are much of a muchness and about on par with one another.

Sorry can't be more helpful

Jane
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:55 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

It still amazes that people from the UK call Brisbane and Adelaide small cities. Adelaide has a population over 1 million and Brisbane over 2 million. Now correct me if im wrong but only Birmingham outside of London has a population over 1 million. And as for seasonal weather Adelaide has a mediterannean climate with warm to hot summers and mild winters. August which is mid winter has an average maximum of 16c. Can anyone tell me if im missing the facts or are other people viewing life differently
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cufc
It still amazes that people from the UK call Brisbane and Adelaide small cities. Adelaide has a population over 1 million and Brisbane over 2 million. Now correct me if im wrong but only Birmingham outside of London has a population over 1 million. And as for seasonal weather Adelaide has a mediterannean climate with warm to hot summers and mild winters. August which is mid winter has an average maximum of 16c. Can anyone tell me if im missing the facts or are other people viewing life differently
Manchester Metropolitan area has a population of 4¼ Million and is the 5th most populous city in the UK. If you look at population density then the UK is overflowing.

Edit, just checked density, Adelaide 620/km², Manchester 3,800/km².

Mike.

Last edited by Wendy&Mike; Feb 20th 2008 at 11:21 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Edit, just checked density, Adelaide 620/km², Manchester 3,800/km².
and Yatala 10000/km².

Last edited by deryans; Feb 20th 2008 at 11:37 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cufc
It still amazes that people from the UK call Brisbane and Adelaide small cities. Adelaide has a population over 1 million and Brisbane over 2 million.
I can't speak for Adelaide but Brisbane simply doesn't have the feel of a big city. It may have a population of 1.7m or thereabouts but its sprawled over a huge area....i've been told its the largest (in terms of area) metropolitan council in the world. There's no sense of being in a big city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.