Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Adelaide

Brisbane or Adelaide

Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:07 am
Just Joined

deftymarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane or Adelaide

Hi,

We are in a real dilema over where to move to.

With the points change etc back in April our only option was Melbourne or Adelaide. As we had visited Melbourne and didnt like it we chose Adelaide and threw ourselves into researching the place.

In September hubbies occupation was added to the MODL list and we have now got a 136 visa.

When we holidayed in Australia we really liked Brisbane but there seems to be a lot of price differences between there and Adelaide.

We would really like peoples opinions of where they would choose between the two please?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Marie
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:01 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane or Adelaide

I live near Adelaide and it is a pretty good place to live and work but in many ways a little provincial. The climate is good though so that may influence your choice.

If you have any specific questions about Adelaide send me a PM as I can't keep track of this website as the messages fly by so quickly and are not organised in any way.

I can't speak for Brisbane - I hope to visit next year for the first time.

rab
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Hi there

We have just returned from validating our visas with a tour of Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney.

Unfortunately I have not been to Brissie so cannot offer a useful comparison between the two.

The climate in Adelaide is (broadly) mediterannean in style - cool winters and hot dry summers - I understand that the temperature in Brisbane is broadly similar but varies less and is significantly wetter (and therefore more humid).

To drive anywhere in Adelaide is a dream - 20 minutes to the beach, the hills, the city centre.... easy to park.

We loved the parklands, the way the city centre is focussed around the river. Lots of birds and wildlife.

I think the housing is probably cheaper than in Brisbane and you would not have to live so far out of the centre as you would in Brisbane. The population of Brisbane is >1.5m whereas Adealide is more like 1.1m.

Brisbane is probably much more beach orientated than much of Adelaide (based on no research whatsoever!).

We loved the peace, the ease of travel, the cafe lifestyle and cultural events.

The sea is much chillier in Adelaide!!!! As we are used to swimming in Cornwall in April - we thought it lovely - locals thought us mad!

These big decisions loom large don't they - how fortunate we are to have such choices!

Good luck for your future - wherever you are.

olive
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

One common missconception of Brisbane is that it's a beach city it's NOT. The nearest beach is 50kms away and Brisbane is inland on a river. The beaches around Adelaide are far more accessable than around Brisbane. BUT the beaches on GC 75kms away and SC 100kms away are far superior to those around Adelaide and the water temp even in the depths of winter is 19C.

There is also far more to do around Brisbane as Gold Coast is Australia top holiday destination and the Sunshine Coast is pretty high as well.

Also the country is greener in QLD (except when we are in a drought) but the weather is pretty unbearable from Dec to Mar as it's so hot and humid but the rest of the year is great.

House are more expensive in Brisbane (I'd say 50% more although it's 3 years since I was in Adelaide) and more traffic jams although nothing compared to london or Sydney.

Work wise unemployment is low less than 5% but most of the jobs is with state or local gov. Go down GC and most work is in tourism.

So take your pick.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:01 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

I just came back from the Gold Coast for xmas. It was cool up there by their standards but I was glad to get away from the humidity and back to the dry air in South Australia.