Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Acom or Camper Van

Brisbane Acom or Camper Van

Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice
Smile Brisbane Acom or Camper Van

Hi Guys, again,

I know you must all be sick of reading or replying to the same old questions but here goes.

1. Could you recomend accomodation in or around Brisbane 'North' for a 3 week stay, preferably biased to holiday makers but certainly not essential, scenic location, definately not City.

2. Could you recomend any camper van hire firms in or around Bris, this is possibly preferable to the above as we are going 'sightseeing'.

Many thanks
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane Acom or Camper Van

We are doing the camper van thing.

Cheapeast prices I found are on www.familyroadtrip.com.au

They compare all the companies except it seems apollo campers, who are quite expensive anyway. Saved AUDĀ£1000 booking through these over the rates direct at Britz's site.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
We are doing the camper van thing.

Cheapeast prices I found are on www.familyroadtrip.com.au

They compare all the companies except it seems apollo campers, who are quite expensive anyway. Saved AUDĀ£1000 booking through these over the rates direct at Britz's site.
Cheers for that, they seem to be offering very decent rates as well. Do you know if you can just 'park up' at night or must you use some sort of licensed camp site?

Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

That I dont know mate. Let us know if you find out. I hope you can, but there's gotta be rules about where you can and cant.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:59 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

beware cheapo deals.

There was a thread on Adelaide brits about cheap firms and their drawbacks.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by temptininnit
beware cheapo deals.

There was a thread on Adelaide brits about cheap firms and their drawbacks.
Can you remeber what they were?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:22 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jayjd12
Can you remeber what they were?

Barely and their search is crap on AB.

Here's a PM I got from a member who worked for a campervan firm a while ago.

I worked for a smaller/luxury end of of the market, national Motorhome company that was bought out by Britz Campervans along with a number of othe smaller niche market operators in an effort to increase their market share.

Britz are very expensive with regards to rental costs and their fleet is now aging. They used to have their own independant offices in each state but they are now changing this to using agencies so you may not be dealing direct with their company employees.

NQ Campers have endured some bad press and I don't believe they are in business anymore so my best advice is to do plenty of research, have a look at this link from BE for more details

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238740

Be certain to read all the fine print before rental and do request a copy of the 'Contract' and terms and conditions before you commit to paying a deposit, its a minefield of exceptions and exclusions, here are some examples of what is not covered or has limited coverage

NO COVER FOR SINGLE VEHICLE ACCIDENTS....even with insurance
TYRE DAMAGE......limited coverage
OVERHEAD AND UNDERBODY DAMAGE.....not covered by insurance
DRIVING ON UNMADE ROADS.......generally voids insurance coverage
WATER DAMAGE, DRIVING ON BEACHES & THROUGH CREEKS...no coverage

Make sure before signing the contract for rental that you inspect the vehicle and note on the contract any existing damage, including overhead and underbody,windscreen stone chips and damage to the interior of the vehicle otherwise they can charge you on return even if you didn't do the damage.

Hope this helps.
Good advice above.

Don't be put off though as many have great holidays in these vans, just be careful and as the person said- do your research.

X
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Barely and their search is crap on AB.

Here's a PM I got from a member who worked for a campervan firm a while ago.

Good advice above.

Don't be put off though as many have great holidays in these vans, just be careful and as the person said- do your research.

X
Thank you for that, its exactly what I have just been reading. $5000 excess even for non fault accidents, sounds rediculous! It costs 50% more per day to bring this price down.

Ps. I have looked at most of the contracts this evening they all state the same.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:18 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Be cheaper to buy your own camper van and flog it when you've finished with it I would think