Reload this Page >

Is This Brisbane?

Is This Brisbane?

Old Sep 8th 2002, 10:01 pm
Capt Pugwash

Default Re: Is This Brisbane?

Of course I'm happy to go with my figures:

You said "Brisbane is a lot more over crowded than the major cities of Wales or
anywhere in Wales for that matter". I said "people per square km: Brisbane - 715
Cardiff - 2285 Tor-faen - 722 Caerphilly - 716"

The thing is why are you comparing Swansea and Brisbane? It's an absurd argument
(nearly as absurd as comparing Wales and Brisbane). You might as well compare
Brisbane and St David's! Brisbane is a large, international city. Swansea is a place
in Wales. You can't prove that Brisbane is an overcrowded city because some totally
unrelated place on the other side of the world is marginally less crowded.

Most of the populated areas of Wales is urban sprawl. It's hard to tell where one
town starts and the next begins. Many of these places wouldn't even show up on a map
of the UK, yet have a population density similar to Brisbane. Unfortunately they
don't have the infrastructure to match. Do you really want to swap traffic jams? Most
places in Wales have so many cars double parked on their poxy, narrow roads ('cause
there aren't no garages or driveways) that you're lucky to get to the end of your
street in an hour! I mean Neighbours physically fight each other over the road
outside their house. Jeez these multi-car families!

And you should know better being so proudly Welsh. Swansea is not a county, but is
itself in the county of Glamorgan. Neath is not part of Swansea. Neither are the
close towns of Port Talbot or Llanelli (just in case you're unsure).

I think censuses are pretty accurate. Do you know of anything better? They may be
filled in by over 18s but include everyone under 18 and anyone else resident at the
property of the submitter. If they're good enough for world government then they're
good enough for me.

--

Pugwash

"Ceri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm comparing Swansea to Brisbane - not London! ... hell I could not live in london
    > either, or Birimingham - loads of places I could not live (they just all happen to
    > be in England ) Swansea is a bit more than a "little big town" - it's a county,
    > which streches out to the Gower Peninsula, includes places like the Neath as well.
    > Swansea is a county - same thing as Brisbane, a bit like Redcliffe is in
    > Brisbane. You are thinking of the "city of Swansea" (CBD in otherwords)
    > Census figures in the UK are filled out by over 18's, and citizens, not PR's, etc,
    > etc - so they are not totally true figures.
    > Swansea has just over one hundred and eighty thousand population, cardiff is just
    > over 250 thousand.
    > Well I'm happy to go on your workings out if you are - so by your workings,
    > Swansea has less population per area than Brisbane - thank you for proving my
    > point
    > cheers
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 9th 2002, 5:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt Pugwash:
Of course I'm happy to go with my figures:

And you should know better being so proudly Welsh. Swansea is not a county, but is
itself in the county of Glamorgan. Neath is not part of Swansea. Neither are the
close towns of Port Talbot or Llanelli (just in case you're unsure).
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate, I'm from swansea. My house was on a 900 plot of land, I had a big garage, the house was a brick bungalow. Unless you want to compare the inner suburbs of swansea, like town hill, compare it to the inner suburbs of Brisbane.

Oh... and parts Neath, skewen is in the jurisdiction of Swansea council... this happened a couple of years back, much to the dismay of Neath people. Sorry, your information is a bit out of date, this changed a couple of years back.

"Swansea is not just a place in Wales" It is a city, not a town, and a port, second capital to cardiff.
And mate, your so wrong....sorry to tell you, but Swansea is a county
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/aboutswansea/population.htm

here's another link - some pictures of some urban Swansea sprawl for you

http://www.explore-gower.co.uk/gowerpicturegallery.htm
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 9th 2002 at 6:21 am.
Old Sep 9th 2002, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

My God, this thread is sad.