Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bris/SIng - compare climate

Bris/SIng - compare climate

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Bris/SIng - compare climate

Down here in Sydney I don't really notice the climate bothering me much (except the cold winter nights), but I read on a lot of threads about uncomfortable nights under the duvet, turbo humidity, it's only nice in winter etc.

I lived for a time in Singapore and wondered if any of you QLD mafia out there could compare the 2 climates, as Bris/Sun/Gold is an area we may consider moving to if/when our PR comes through.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you lived in Sing, you will think Brisbane is a walk in the park .
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bris/SIng - compare climate

Originally posted by RichS
Down here in Sydney I don't really notice the climate bothering me much (except the cold winter nights), but I read on a lot of threads about uncomfortable nights under the duvet, turbo humidity, it's only nice in winter etc.

I lived for a time in Singapore and wondered if any of you QLD mafia out there could compare the 2 climates, as Bris/Sun/Gold is an area we may consider moving to if/when our PR comes through.
I went to Noosa last feb. We would get up early to do anything as the heat was not too stifling. After lunch we would crash out spanish style and avoid the afternoon rains and then enjoy a late night. Luckily the apartment was air conditioned otherwise it would have been unbearable.

Have you had enough of Sydney RichS?
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I went to Noosa last feb. We would get up early to do anything as the heat was not too stifling. After lunch we would crash out spanish style and avoid the afternoon rains and then enjoy a late night. Luckily the apartment was air conditioned otherwise it would have been unbearable.
Have you been to Sing BP?
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:00 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Have you been to Sing BP?
Yes but after 2 days I got bored and legged it up to Thailand and then returned via the Temman Negarra national park and Malacca. I remember someone saying Singapore weather is always 30 +- 2C and the only variation is on the amount of rain and cloud.

Jan Feb is as hot as it is going to get in QLD and I am sure one acclimatises to the humidity.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by bondipom
Yes but after 2 days I got bored and legged it up to Thailand and then returned via the Temman Negarra national park and Malacca. I remember someone saying Singapore weather is always 30 +- 2C and the only variation is on the amount of rain and cloud.

Jan Feb is as hot as it is going to get in QLD and I am sure one acclimatises to the humidity.
You do to a certain extent, yes. When we were in Sing, it was oppressively hot & humid even for me being used to it (this was beginning of Sept). Something that I noticed is that the air seemed really *thick* or *heavy* there compared to Brisbane, I dont mean smog wise or anything, I think it had to do with the humidity? I found it hard to breath (I dont suffer from any sort of asthma or anything) I got used to it after a day or 2, but certainly still noticed it the rest of the time we were there.

Feb in Brisbane (& surrounds) is by far the worst time in summer, Dec & Jan can get hot, but Feb is very humid & can be a bit unpleasant, particularly if you arent used to it. But in comparison, we perhaps use a fan in the bedroom at night here maybe half a dozen times in the whole summer, in Sing, we wouldnt have survived the week without the air con on, especially at night (we were staying at someones house, not in a motel)

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Dec 2nd 2003 at 10:10 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:12 pm

I finished that SE Asia trip in Brisbane in September. It felt cold in comparison to the tropics that I had been backpacking through but mercifully dry.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

In SG you never get a really blue sky, there is always an oppressive cloud layer there somewhere. We got pretty used to it after a while. We'd walk 3 or 4 miles pushing the nippers in prams and not really think too much of it (assuming we weren't going anywhere that required us to look at all human).
But the heat and humidity there was relentless all year round. You don't ever get respite really, though you do notice there are 'cooler' months.

BP - I'm not in the least fed up with Sydney. In fact I like it a lot,but sooner or later we're going to have to have a family sit down where we discuss whats best long term, and that means mortgages and houses.
We could probably afford 700-800k in replayments, but that means both of us working full time, and that does present issues if either one of us is for whatever reason unable to work. I'm not keen to go down that path.
a 500k house would give us leeway where one or other of us could work and we would manage the repayments ok. Of course you know 500k doesn't place you in any of the areas you might want to be. We have got far too used to the Eastern Subs.

So we cast the net a bit further. The choice to me seems to be a longer commute in NSW up or down the coast and/or go interstate (lets not even contemplete becoming a westie). I'm starting to like the look of Brisbane and the area. The wife would take a slight pay cut and I'm investigating the market now. It appears in my line that jobs are a bit thin on the ground, but those that appear seem to only represent a minimal pay cut, so having looked at the real estate options I reckon for our 500k we'd be better set up there.

Going on the respnse so far the climate would seem to not be as harsh as SG, so I'm tempted.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:21 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

What's your line of business? $500k should get you a good house in a good suburb in Brissy.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

IT, mainly financial stuff, middleware, payment systems etc. most stimulating.

the wife is a nurse

the kids are kids
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by jayr
What's your line of business? $500k should get you a good house in a good suburb in Brissy.
Agree with Jayr, $500k will get you something nice, in one of the nice suburbs close to the city.

As for the climate, comparing Brisbane to Sing is like comparing Sydney to London IMO.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

enough said then I think. climate not an issue for us.

I'm planning on taking the family up to the Gold Coast for a 5 dayer sometime after Easter next year, and tying in some suburb viewing in Brissy whilst we're there. I'll see then what I can get for my 500k (or hopefully we'll be in the grip of a property meltdown!!)
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by RichS

It's nothing like Singapore. Lived in Sing for just over 5 years. When I came to Aus I first lived in Newcastle, landed in winter/Spring. I was freezing ,then moved to Brisbane a year later

Brisbane's humidity is not on par with Singapore.

Singapore is one of the most humid countries in the world due to it's geography from the equator among many things.

Singapore reaches levels of over 90% (average is around 85%) , whilst Brisbane's average is around 55%/60%.. I think the highest you will see here in Brisbane and surrounds is in the 70% region - inland, during the summer months.

Living in Brisbane - the weather/humidity doesn't bother me, I find it pleasant , except for the winters.. I feel the cold so easily.

You know what it was like say around 6/7 pm in Sing - you will never experience that level of humidity in Brisbane.

If Sing weather didn't bother you too much - Brisbane's won't (it's never bothered me) , it's far, far less humid here than in Sing, even on Brisbane's most humid days.

cheers

P.S

If you're coming after Easter. ( after april) . it will not be humid here.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I thought the hot season would be over then, and also I have pre-schoolers so we'll come when the holidays finished - should get a cheaper deal then.

Regretably I just got a knockback from SunCorp - shame I quite fancy working for them.

I assumed all along Singapore would have a more tiring climate, and glad to hear thats the case.
Ceri - my wife sounds pretty similar to you - she's still mumbling on about it being cold here and we're up over 25.