Reload this Page >

Bris/Gold C/Byron field trip

Wikiposts

Bris/Gold C/Byron field trip

Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Bris/Gold C/Byron field trip

Just back from a bit of a holiday up in QLD. We were based at the southern end of the Gold coast but got around a fair bit and saw a fair few sights - had to take the kids to all the parks to keep them happy. Anyhoo we also took a peak at a couple of houses in Brisbane to see what you might get for your money. Here are my obsevations:

Gold Coast - This place has a very high tat factor. Its ok for a brief holiday and it has much of what you might want to do on your average holybob...and quite a lot of what you might not want to do too. Housing was, on a cursory glance pretty affordable and you could get a fair bit for your money, though I noticed a large amount of the McMansion type estates so prevalent on the outskirts of Sydney.
My tip - I couldn't personally live here, the only caveat being that the hinterland does have some very nice spots.
Transport is good and obviously all amenties are readily available.
Its a sort of Campbelltown meets Benidorm and takes drugs place. The natives appeared to me to have a high feral factor.

Brisbane - Looks nice, but seemed actually to be a sort of above ground cemetary. Where are the people? Where is the soul and life in this place? we looked long and hard but just couldn;t find anything there. Housing again a bonus - lots of affordability here. Some of the newer estates on the outskirts had a quite disturbing stepford wives quality to them, but the older suburbs look super. Transport again a winner.
I was struck by 2 things. Brissy now stretches pretty much to the Gold Coast which it didn't seem to when I was last in these waters in the late 80s.

Byron Bay - Looks beautiful. Lovely town lovely houses really worth a visit. As to livability - I think its nigh on compulsory to dress up in curtains and possess at least one 'dog on string lead'. There is a huge fruitcake factor in this town, but I think its worth getting beyond that. The Tweed Coast from South of the Gold Coast to Byrin is absolutley stunning. The countryside is green and theres picture postcard rolling hills etc. All just 30 minutes from the Gold Coast.

Other places - I liked the look of the suburban/country areas to the north of Brisbane. We didn;t vist the Sunshine Coast this year. I love it there, but its drifted out of affordability for us these days.

Drinking tip - $5 a pint at the GC airport I thought was good value.

Food Tip - I had brekky all over the place, but most enjoyed a strip of cafes off Milton Rd in Brissy (just near the XXXX factory) which we stumbled on whilst lost looking for somewhere else.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Bris/Gold C/Byron field trip

Originally posted by RichS
Brisbane - Looks nice, but seemed actually to be a sort of above ground cemetary. Where are the people? Where is the soul and life in this place? we looked long and hard but just couldn;t find anything there.
What part of Brisbane did you reach ? I was at the Botanical gardens on Sunday, really crowded, but then again it was a special event.
The South bank is normally crowded, maybe not now though, as it is winter ?

Food Tip - I had brekky all over the place, but most enjoyed a strip of cafes off Milton Rd in Brissy (just near the XXXX factory) which we stumbled on whilst lost looking for somewhere else.
Yeah !! Bet you were looking for the XXXX factory in reallity

Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane - Looks nice, but seemed actually to be a sort of above ground cemetary.
Well I always keep telling Dagboy that sometimes he emits smells like something thats dead especially after a curry & beer night, but I didnt realise it was that bad :scared: :scared: .

The strip in Milton is Park Rd, which is one of the places Scun suggested .
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

I too was at the Picnic in the Park on Sunday - and that was fine. In fact we had a really good day.

I find it quite difficult to express what it was that I felt was missing about Brissy. It just seemed a little soulless, lacking a centre or focal point maybe. I don't know.

Mrs D - I was at no time looking for the xxxx factory. I'm shocked you'd even think such a thing.

Great brekky though. We were very impressed with that little strip of cafes.

worst food on tour - Nachos at GC airport. Thank god for the $5 pints.

a word on the Ashmore Steak house. Great Steaks, but at around $30 a throw if not more, a little pricey.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:43 pm
ABCDiamond

I too was at the Picnic in the Park on Sunday - and that was fine. In fact we had a really good day.
You weren't the one wearing the English Football shirt were you ?

Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I find it quite difficult to express what it was that I felt was missing about Brissy. It just seemed a little soulless, lacking a centre or focal point maybe. I don't know.

Mrs D - I was at no time looking for the xxxx factory. I'm shocked you'd even think such a thing.

Great brekky though. We were very impressed with that little strip of cafes.

worst food on tour - Nachos at GC airport. Thank god for the $5 pints.

a word on the Ashmore Steak house. Great Steaks, but at around $30 a throw if not more, a little pricey.

Rich, I would have thought almost anything bought as food at Brisbane Airport would have been at the bottom of the scale.

As for Brisbane - hmmmmmm, well Sydney its certainly not. But then again, some of us like it that way .

Havent been to Ashmore Steakhouse, but you're right, $30+ seems a little pricey for a steak.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 4:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Dicey Rileys Cleveland : Monday Night Steak Night $6.95 Steak Salad & Chips.

Finn MacCools Birkdale: Wednesday night s $6.95 Steak Sald & Chips

Alex Hills Hotel (not sure which night) $ 7.00 steak salad and chips

CourtHouse Restaurant, Cleveland - Wed Nights to August. 3 course Roast Beef Meal $25.00 ( and it was nice )

But I do miss the Toppers? "eat all you" can in Penrith NSW

Old Jun 20th 2004, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know of a whole heap of places that do $5 or less steak specials, the problem being the steaks are usually small and rubbery.

I'm amazed at anyone having a fond memory of Penrith!!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 4:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Soul: The disembodied spirit of a dead human.

Soul
Old Jun 20th 2004, 6:03 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Ahh, the memories - used to get a coffee from Savoir Faire on Milton Rd every morning on my way to work down on Coronation Drive
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from a bit of a holiday up in QLD. We were based at the southern end of the Gold coast but got around a fair bit and saw a fair few sights - had to take the kids to all the parks to keep them happy. Anyhoo we also took a peak at a couple of houses in Brisbane to see what you might get for your money. Here are my obsevations:

Gold Coast - This place has a very high tat factor. Its ok for a brief holiday and it has much of what you might want to do on your average holybob...and quite a lot of what you might not want to do too. Housing was, on a cursory glance pretty affordable and you could get a fair bit for your money, though I noticed a large amount of the McMansion type estates so prevalent on the outskirts of Sydney.
My tip - I couldn't personally live here, the only caveat being that the hinterland does have some very nice spots.
Transport is good and obviously all amenties are readily available.
Its a sort of Campbelltown meets Benidorm and takes drugs place. The natives appeared to me to have a high feral factor.

Brisbane - Looks nice, but seemed actually to be a sort of above ground cemetary. Where are the people? Where is the soul and life in this place? we looked long and hard but just couldn;t find anything there. Housing again a bonus - lots of affordability here. Some of the newer estates on the outskirts had a quite disturbing stepford wives quality to them, but the older suburbs look super. Transport again a winner.
I was struck by 2 things. Brissy now stretches pretty much to the Gold Coast which it didn't seem to when I was last in these waters in the late 80s.

Byron Bay - Looks beautiful. Lovely town lovely houses really worth a visit. As to livability - I think its nigh on compulsory to dress up in curtains and possess at least one 'dog on string lead'. There is a huge fruitcake factor in this town, but I think its worth getting beyond that. The Tweed Coast from South of the Gold Coast to Byrin is absolutley stunning. The countryside is green and theres picture postcard rolling hills etc. All just 30 minutes from the Gold Coast.

Other places - I liked the look of the suburban/country areas to the north of Brisbane. We didn;t vist the Sunshine Coast this year. I love it there, but its drifted out of affordability for us these days.

Drinking tip - $5 a pint at the GC airport I thought was good value.

Hi we were on the Gold Coast about a month ago, agreed Surfers can be bit like a Benidorm type place, but surely the same cant be said of Broadwater, Currumbin, Fingal Point etc, thought these places were beautiful.

Thought the man made beach at Southbank was nice as well.

We were staying with friends in Helensvale, met loads of really nice people and thought the areas around there were nice as well, really clean, but we still live in the UK so probably easily pleased.

And as for Ashmore Steak and Seafood; 4 adults and 3 kids, Steaks, Barumundi, Chicken, huge portions, free garlic bread expensive: All for £50 quid!!!!!!!!!

You need to try the Brewsters restaurants over here for being ripped off :scared: :scared:

But it's all about opinions and as the proverb goes "One mans meat is another mans poison"

Cheers for an excellent post though.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think you can compare Brewsters with the Ashmore for several reasons:
1. $30 is an expensive steak HERE. And I live here on half the wage I had in the UK, so in that context its a damn big spend.
2. Brewsters I went to in Haywards Heath. I really thought the concept would take off here like a rocket. There are really so few places in this country that cater for the family wanting to eat a meal out, by providing kiddy play areas of any substance. Sure the food wasn't so cheap, but I didnt think that was the point.

Yes there are some nice spots on the Gold Coast. we were staying in currumbin and it was lovely, but I really think you need to see other areas of the Eastern coastal strip to put it into context. On that basis there's a lot nicer places to live, though maybe not so cheap.