Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bringing your pet with you any body doing it!

bringing your pet with you any body doing it!

Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:46 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default bringing your pet with you any body doing it!

Im trying to find out about brining our dog a boxer over with us
has any body looked in to it or done it. is it very expensive and worth it
Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing your pet with you any body doing it!

Originally Posted by Baby75
Thanks
If you do a search on this topic you will find pages and pages of info & opinions. Best stick the kettle on first!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:27 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
We have just shipped a dog and 2 cats using Airpets, shipping cost was £4000 plus £1000 for the Quarantine, so yes it's expensive but it was worth it to us.

Expect to pay around £3k for a boxer.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:31 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

flight costs depend on size-our 2 mini schnauzers who measure 58 x 46 x 18cm are costing £2439 total with Airpets. There are other costs as well like microchipping (£50) if not already done, the blood tests (£200?), quarantine fees (ours will be £600) so it all adds up. is it worth it?-depends whether you can live without your hound I must say if my OH's family were country dwelling dog lovers we would have considered leaving them here just for their sake as it's alot to put them through but we would never have considered giving them way to a stranger
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news (and I may be wrong) but I think that boxer dogs are whats termed as brachycephalic (flat faced dogs) and I dont think any of the airlines will fly them (not from the Uk anyhow). I do hope that I am wrong

Lindsey
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:31 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
I dont want to be the bearer of bad news (and I may be wrong) but I think that boxer dogs are whats termed as brachycephalic (flat faced dogs) and I dont think any of the airlines will fly them (not from the Uk anyhow). I do hope that I am wrong

Lindsey
Hi

We have 2 boxers and they can fly with Qantas and two other airlines but will have to check my e mail to find the other names. I have had three quotes from pet travel companies the cheapest being £3100.00 and the most £4200.00 it depends if you want to sort out the import permits yourself.
Hope that helps you a bit.

Kerry
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:11 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
We came over with our cat, really glad me did now, well work the coin. Pete
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pete jackson
We came over with our cat, really glad me did now, well work the coin. Pete
We got a quote of £4500 to ship our 2 staffs over to Brisbane, this was NOT inc quarantine fee's.

This may sound harsh and i apologise to those it offends but i'd rather save the £4500/A$10000 and give my family a better start in Oz.

Now the good thing for us is that we know the people that we are giving our dogs to, and by heck it will be a wrench to give them away, and they have been vetted by us.

Granted one of our dogs is nearly 13, and for a staffy that is a good age, so it wouldn't be fair to drag her to the other side of the world for what may amount to 6 months.

Again it may sound harsh but i'd rather have a good start in Oz for my family and i than spend that amount of money bringing a dog over.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wullieb1
We got a quote of £4500 to ship our 2 staffs over to Brisbane, this was NOT inc quarantine fee's.

This may sound harsh and i apologise to those it offends but i'd rather save the £4500/A$10000 and give my family a better start in Oz.

Now the good thing for us is that we know the people that we are giving our dogs to, and by heck it will be a wrench to give them away, and they have been vetted by us.

Granted one of our dogs is nearly 13, and for a staffy that is a good age, so it wouldn't be fair to drag her to the other side of the world for what may amount to 6 months.

Again it may sound harsh but i'd rather have a good start in Oz for my family and i than spend that amount of money bringing a dog over.
Had two qoutes for my GSD

Overhil kennels £2181.

Airpets £2560.

Both without permits. £130
Then add on blodd tests and quarratine. £600

I could not leave my baby behind so just have to cough up the readies lol.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mum01753
Had two qoutes for my GSD

Overhil kennels £2181.

Airpets £2560.

Both without permits. £130
Then add on blodd tests and quarratine. £600

I could not leave my baby behind so just have to cough up the readies lol.
The quote we got was very high but we cannot justify the cost of taking the dogs.

Again this is just my opinion and it will hurt me when i have to leave them.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:29 pm
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

The quote we got was very high but we cannot justify the cost of taking the dogs.

Again this is just my opinion and it will hurt me when i have to leave them.
We brought our dalmatian over, part of the family. Cost a bit, and quite stressful at times but definitely worth it. The dog handled it very well, no problem at all. Only difference is that she used to have a problem relaxing in cars, always sitting up and refusing to sleep while driving. I think the flight gave her some perspective, now she lies down and relaxes immeditately.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:07 am

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

i see were your coming from and being honest we wouldn't be able to afford to bring our boxer over we have decided to wait on till we are settled and have enough money to bring her over then. its killing me leaving her behind she is such a star with the kids and i cant move with out her following me she hates being on her own if we leave her in the house she will open doors windows and get out or destroy the house trying my husbands parents have said they will take her and i know they will look after her but im afraid she will cramp their style plus get out on the road and be killed while we are away
sorry going on a bit
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by k76
We brought our dalmatian over, part of the family. Cost a bit, and quite stressful at times but definitely worth it. The dog handled it very well, no problem at all. Only difference is that she used to have a problem relaxing in cars, always sitting up and refusing to sleep while driving. I think the flight gave her some perspective, now she lies down and relaxes immeditately.
how old is your Dalmatian how did he or she handle quarantine our boxer has serious separation anxiety so ild be really worried about her we cant afford to bring her over straight away with us but we are hoping to do it once we are settled
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:00 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

how old is your Dalmatian how did he or she handle quarantine our boxer has serious separation anxiety so ild be really worried about her we cant afford to bring her over straight away with us but we are hoping to do it once we are settled
Our dalmation is 4 years old. She's got a bit of separation anxiety too, but I think its offset by the fact that she gets on with absolutely everybody. She lost a little weight in quarantine, but nothing to worry about. We've had her in boarding kennels for up to 2 1/2 weeks a few times, I think they get used to it.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Our 4 dogs are coming, everyone is different but we wouldn't consider going without them. Thankfully their breeder is looking after them for us whilst we buy a house and then she'll sort out the remainder of the paperwork and final arrangements.