Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing your motorbike...an update

Bringing your motorbike...an update

Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Default Bringing your motorbike...an update

An update on the situation as we had three to bring.

So once you have obtained Personal Import Approval for your bike - cost $50 from Vehicle Imports (providing you have owned it for 12 months previously)

So it arrives and you pay 10% customs on the value AU dollars and take it home (in a van or on a trailer)

You then book it in to local licensing centre. They check it over and that it complies and then they send off one of your copies from imports to obtain a Personal Import Sticker which gets put on the frame. You then take it back and the local licensing centre issue you with a registration.

Around $70 for licensing centre and seems a bit wrong end around to me that you have to take it first for it to fail becuase it doesn't have a Personal Import Sticker but you can only get the personal import sticker from them sending back to Canberra in the first place but hey ho - it's no real hardship.

The $70 includes a 2 day temporary pass so you can ride the bike to test centre.

Its nothing like a uk mot. Basic check, takes more time to fill out the paperwork for chassis numbers etc. They check lights work and thats about it really.

I was a tad concerned when the tester presumed there was bodywork missing - from a naked Ducati Monster However he quickly checked and all was well.

The above info applies to WA - not sure about anywhere else
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:36 am
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bringing your motorbike...an update

Excellent post, Phoenix, thanks.

Did they test for noise?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HCJ
Excellent post, Phoenix, thanks.

Did they test for noise?
They would have but their tester broken - thankfully as he said the carbon sil's we have would have failed.
I did put the db killers in, bike ran like poo, but I reckon it may just have scraped through.
The max is apparently 94 db. I'd love to see some of the harleys here get away with 94 db's when they come past our house

Thanks - it may be useful to someone in search sometime. I know sorting it all out originally worried me lots.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:03 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Phoenix
They would have but their tester broken - thankfully as he said the carbon sil's we have would have failed.
I did put the db killers in, bike ran like poo, but I reckon it may just have scraped through.
The max is apparently 94 db. I'd love to see some of the harleys here get away with 94 db's when they come past our house

Thanks - it may be useful to someone in search sometime. I know sorting it all out originally worried me lots.
Thanks for that. I have a full HRC race system on my RC45 and it's an operatic 103db. I better put the standard system back on for the test.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCJ
Thanks for that. I have a full HRC race system on my RC45 and it's an operatic 103db. I better put the standard system back on for the test.
Yep thats what i'm doing with the other one.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I'm still thinking about taking my bike over to WA. Did you need to get the speedo converted to KMH?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:52 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenix
Yep thats what i'm doing with the other one.

An ozzie friend of mine was called up after a complaint about his pipes making too much noise (while splitting lanes in Melbourne ) he took off his aftermarket pipes, went to the test centre, passed, got home, and put the aftermarkets back on

If the bike is standard while being tested, you dont need to worry too much after the aftermarket parts after that, unless you get complaints of course.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I'm still thinking about taking my bike over to WA. Did you need to get the speedo converted to KMH?
I have changed all ours to kph clocks - easy fix on our bikes. However i'm not sure they actually noticed.