bringing pets

Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

astone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bringing pets

hello everyone who is bringing their pets,
just want to give you a little advice that we have learnt since arriving with our dog and I wasnt given this advice myself.
things are not going to well over here for us and have looked at the possiblity of moving back to the UK. When looking into taking our dog back we found that because he hasnt got a pet passport he will spend 6 months in quarantine in the uk.(expensive) If we were told that if he had a pet passport set up before we came to give us this option of going back we would of taken it.
Now he has to have a rabies jab here and spend 6 months here before going back. Also the information is very hard to find here. I have spent all day ringing vets up in Perth and no one seems to know where i get the rabies jab done. Will try quarantine now.
Be prepared for all eventualities good or disappointing.
astone
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:38 pm
Merlot

Default Re: bringing pets

Originally Posted by astone
hello everyone who is bringing their pets,
just want to give you a little advice that we have learnt since arriving with our dog and I wasnt given this advice myself.
things are not going to well over here for us and have looked at the possiblity of moving back to the UK. When looking into taking our dog back we found that because he hasnt got a pet passport he will spend 6 months in quarantine in the uk.(expensive) If we were told that if he had a pet passport set up before we came to give us this option of going back we would of taken it.
Now he has to have a rabies jab here and spend 6 months here before going back. Also the information is very hard to find here. I have spent all day ringing vets up in Perth and no one seems to know where i get the rabies jab done. Will try quarantine now.
Be prepared for all eventualities good or disappointing.
astone
My understanding is that it takes 7 months to get the pet passport thing going (we did this last year coming back to UK with a cat).

I understand you can start the process and if you return during this 7 month process, your pooch will only have to spend that remaining time in quarantine, e.g. Rabies jab -> 3 weeks blood test -> get all clear to wait 6 months -> decide to come back to UK 3 months in -> doggie in quarantine for 3 months only in UK. Hope this makes sense, it could have changed since then.

Try a pet transporter for advice too - www.transpet.com.au, we used and fab.

CSIRO in Vic maybe able to help with locating vets - Tel: 03 5227 5000.

Our vet in Ourimbah, NSW maybe able to suggest too - Tel: 02 4362 1644.

DEFRA are the ones to contact for UK entry info - not sure of details.

Good luck
Merlot