Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing the Pet Over (NZ)

Bringing the Pet Over (NZ)

Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing the Pet Over (NZ)

Has anyone imported their cat to NZ recently? From the UK, of course.

I've been scanning the MAF site and it seems like a long winded process. Have I got this right?

The cat needs to be microchipped.
To complete vetinary certificate A, the cat must undergo various treatments and examinations at different intervals ranging from 30 days to 4 days before departure. The vet completes that certificate.
Vetinary certificate B has to be completed by a registered vet at the port of export.
A permit must be obtained from MAF in NZ (at a not insignificant cost).

Is this right?

As the microchip ID has to be entered on the permit application, the chipping should be the first thing to be done.

How long does it take for the permit to come through? Is snail mail the only way to apply? How long is the permit valid for? I notice that it has a section for the address the cat will be staying at for the first 30 days. I guess this rules out doing this much in advance.

How can we find out which vets are authorised to complete certificate A? Can we use our normal vet?

Thanks for any help with this. I don't have my PR visa yet but just wanted to get as much sorted as possible in advance.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing the Pet Over (NZ)

Hi Tony,

We had a quote from www.airpets.com which included a check list of everything necessary, most of which they take care of themselves.

It says on the bottom of the list to allow 4-6 weeks for Import Permit clearance.

I think everything you said is right, it does seem a lot of hassle which is why we'll probably use someone like airpets. Bit pricey though, £738 for 1 cat to Dunedin, might try others nearer the time.

Why not fill out the online quote form, they'll send you the quote & checklist.

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jul 10th 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sofistek
Has anyone imported their cat to NZ recently? From the UK, of course.

I've been scanning the MAF site and it seems like a long winded process. Have I got this right?

The cat needs to be microchipped.
To complete vetinary certificate A, the cat must undergo various treatments and examinations at different intervals ranging from 30 days to 4 days before departure. The vet completes that certificate.
Vetinary certificate B has to be completed by a registered vet at the port of export.
A permit must be obtained from MAF in NZ (at a not insignificant cost).

Is this right?

As the microchip ID has to be entered on the permit application, the chipping should be the first thing to be done.

How long does it take for the permit to come through? Is snail mail the only way to apply? How long is the permit valid for? I notice that it has a section for the address the cat will be staying at for the first 30 days. I guess this rules out doing this much in advance.

How can we find out which vets are authorised to complete certificate A? Can we use our normal vet?

Thanks for any help with this. I don't have my PR visa yet but just wanted to get as much sorted as possible in advance.
Its not as difficult as it first looks.

We are going with Golden Arrow Shippers. (Recommended on this site) Lydbury North
Shropshire

Telephone 01 588 680 240

First thing you need to do is get the dog microchipped. Vet does it for about £20
Vaccinations have to be up to date.

If you ring Golden Arrow shippers, he was very very helpful, and they do most of the work for you.
28 days before they leave, they have a blood test.
When they go to the Shippers they will worm and de flee etc.

If you aren't sure of anything, PM me and if I can help, I will.

Whisky
Old Jul 10th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by whisky
Its not as difficult as it first looks.

We are going with Golden Arrow Shippers. (Recommended on this site) Lydbury North
Shropshire

Telephone 01 588 680 240

First thing you need to do is get the dog microchipped. Vet does it for about £20
Vaccinations have to be up to date.

If you ring Golden Arrow shippers, he was very very helpful, and they do most of the work for you.
28 days before they leave, they have a blood test.
When they go to the Shippers they will worm and de flee etc.

If you aren't sure of anything, PM me and if I can help, I will.

Whisky
Thanks, Whisky, and to Gra. I hadn't realised that pet shippers could take care of everything. I did pick up a leaflet for Airpets, at the Emigration Show in March, but I can't find it so thanks for the link, Gra, and for the alternative, Whisky. I also found a leaflet for Par Air Services that do all pre-shipment vetinary work. So that's a relief. Par Air quoted less than £600 but I want the best so thanks for the recommendations, I'll check both out nearer the time.

But the first thing is to have the cat chipped. That should be fun.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 7:46 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

we brought our sheep dog over and it was quite easy really,if a little expensive....$5000nz$.It did mean not been able to stop off on route over as it was the maximum time the dog could be caged,27 hours.Also,when we got off the airplane at Auckland and collected him(he didnt need quarenteen because of the pet passport scheme) we got into trouble with the police for having a dog on the airport grounds...bizzare!
good luck
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by deedee
we brought our sheep dog over and it was quite easy really,if a little expensive....
Hi deedee,

can I just change the subject briefly? Ta! I've noticed someone post on another site who's looking for food & accomodation for a few months in Queenstown. She's willing to do any kind of work in exchange, farming, driving, shopping(!), perhaps she could even trim yer tussocks!

Anyway, let me know if you need a helper...

Gra..
Old Jul 13th 2003, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sofistek We moved our cat to Auckland 2 years ago with Golden Arrow - Very helpfull and made it all very easy for us - even picking up the cat for us and taking her to the airport.
I would recommend them without hesitation, and the cat had no ill effects from the journey, didn't stop purring for a month and just loves her life in NZ with all the trees to climb and wildlife to catch !
Old Jul 14th 2003, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by xpat19
We moved our cat to Auckland 2 years ago with Golden Arrow - Very helpfull and made it all very easy for us - even picking up the cat for us and taking her to the airport.
I would recommend them without hesitation, and the cat had no ill effects from the journey, didn't stop purring for a month and just loves her life in NZ with all the trees to climb and wildlife to catch !
Thanks, that's another vote for Golden Arrow. I'll certainly check them out when the time comes. In the meantime, the cat is now chipped. He didn't like it, though!