Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing pet cats to Oz

Bringing pet cats to Oz

Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all
Default Bringing pet cats to Oz

Hi,

I have just been offered a job on the Gold Coast and am wondering how practical it is to bring my cats with me! I have 3 and, soft as it sounds, I worship them!

I know there are issues such as the climate, snakes etc that might endanger them so I wondering if anyone else had brought cats out to Oz with them and if they had any advice. I would hate to rehome them but similarly it would break my heart if they came to any harm.

Also, how often do u encounter snakes in urban areas of the Gold Coast? I mean u hear all kinds of stories etc. How likely am I to encounter dangerous snakes in or around the house? Are pets in REAL danger from this?

Cheers,

Gav
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:45 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing pet cats to Oz

Hi Gav,

welcome to the forum! It's pretty quiet here over the weekend - most people seem to post from work during the week .

We're not in Oz yet, hence can't really answer your question. Except to say that we're taking our cat with us to Perth. If you do a search here (button at the top), you'll see that loads of people bring their cats and dogs with them. So far, I haven't read about anyone's cat being killed by a snake.

Good luck with it all.

Gina
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:21 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gav_71 View Post
Hi,

I have just been offered a job on the Gold Coast and am wondering how practical it is to bring my cats with me! I have 3 and, soft as it sounds, I worship them!

I know there are issues such as the climate, snakes etc that might endanger them so I wondering if anyone else had brought cats out to Oz with them and if they had any advice. I would hate to rehome them but similarly it would break my heart if they came to any harm.

Also, how often do u encounter snakes in urban areas of the Gold Coast? I mean u hear all kinds of stories etc. How likely am I to encounter dangerous snakes in or around the house? Are pets in REAL danger from this?

Cheers,

Gav
Hi there, we brought our cat from the uk, he's fine and loves it, dont worry about the insects etc, they seem to know to stay away, Ive been here 7 months and only seen one snake and it was dead, when you have been here a month you forget that they could even be around. The cat likes the outside more than ever, I think he would like it hot better than cold, sometimes its too hot for him he just sits on the tiles under the fan and he looks happy, but when its raining he is curled up looking sad like in the uk so I would defo bring your cats as im sure out Tom would never want to go back to walking around in the snow in the UK, The only problem you will get is finding a rental that allows pets, we found one in the end but you dont have much to choose from, but you do get the month that they are in quarantine to find some where, The main thing is the costs! Our cat travelled well and after 2 weeks in aus he was just back to normal like in the uk. Beware tho, I think I saw something in the local paper last week saying someting about you can only have 2 cats on one property, think you have to apply for a permit if you want more, hope this helps, Pete
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really nice

Re the two cat per house rule operated by most councils.....

I was really worried about this as our 4 are flying out on the 13th Nov. so I phoned the pet division of the local council where we will be living in Melbourne. They told me it wouldn't be a problem once I said we were going to install a run so they couldn't get out of our garden - this also gets round the Melbourne night cerfew that is in place in most if not all areas (not sure about other states)......how can you tell your cat it has to be home by sunset . Here are a couple of links for runs we have found, but there are absolutely loads of them....we will probably build our own and use these for inspiration:

www.catcagesaustralia.com.au
www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm
www.advancedcatenclosures.com.au
www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all

I read about the special conditions required to have 3 cats. To be honest, I am happy to build an enclosure for them. At least it keeps them off the roads. 2 out of the 3 are real home birds anyway (lazy tw*ts!!) the other 1 is a natural born roamer but he will just have to learn.

I just got the impression that Oz was some kind of snake infested hell and that u would expect to encounter them everywhere!

Thanks for the info guys, its really appreciated!

Gav
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:01 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

We have brought over 2 cats and they love it here we keep them in the garden using an electric fence thats made especially for cats in Australia.

It gives the cat a small static shock if they try to climb over they have tested it a couple of times and learnt it there, now they are just happy to stay in the garden and sunbathe.

http://www.sureguard.com.au/
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:02 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Are your cats not alowed to wander due to the fauna?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Killa! There seem to be local regulations about how many cats u can have without special permission etc. Special cat enclosures are recommended (and indeed compulsory) in some local authority areas. Seems like a reasonable idea to be honest as it protects the moggies from getting lost, hurt or worse and at the same times prevents them from exercising their killer instinct upon Australias endangered species list!

I was just after feedback from those who had taken cats with them out there!

Gav
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:22 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 cats have just come over from UK and we are going to collect them from the Quarantine place on Sat

They are indoor cats, and always have been, but I am toying with the idea of getting them an outdoor run/enclosure.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:58 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu View Post
Our 2 cats have just come over from UK and we are going to collect them from the Quarantine place on Sat

They are indoor cats, and always have been, but I am toying with the idea of getting them an outdoor run/enclosure.
I think thats a brilliant idea . People can never be sure that their lazy cat doesnt hunt unless you can see them the whole time that they are outside.

I will never forget one lady telling me that her cat had caught a cockatoo and seemed quite proud of his hunting instincts.

Its funny how she was chuffed with this yet was scared that the dingos might kill her cat.

IMO, cats should be confined to the garden by suitable enclosures so they cannot kill the local wildlife.

People might say its the same as them killing birds at home but it isnt because they are not indigenous to Australia and for that very reason alone, they should be restricted.

Even if just one person does it then that is at least something.

If Gordon ends up coming with us, he will be restricted although hes an indoor cat in the UK anyway.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:07 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
I think thats a brilliant idea . People can never be sure that their lazy cat doesnt hunt unless you can see them the whole time that they are outside.

I will never forget one lady telling me that her cat had caught a cockatoo and seemed quite proud of his hunting instincts.

Its funny how she was chuffed with this yet was scared that the dingos might kill her cat.

IMO, cats should be confined to the garden by suitable enclosures so they cannot kill the local wildlife.

People might say its the same as them killing birds at home but it isnt because they are not indigenous to Australia and for that very reason alone, they should be restricted.

Even if just one person does it then that is at least something.

If Gordon ends up coming with us, he will be restricted although hes an indoor cat in the UK anyway.
Lol, Being indoor cats, the only things our 2 kill are flies, and spiders (the last one being a bit worrying )
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu View Post
Lol, Being indoor cats, the only things our 2 kill are flies, and spiders (the last one being a bit worrying )
Gordon doesnt even eat those.

Its rather worrying how some people will justify their cats killing animals in Australia by saying 'its nature' and doing a comparison for birds in England.

The fact they are not indigenous to Oz should tell us that if we do export them then we have to control them.

I mean its nature for a greyhound to rip a cat apart but responsible owners do not let that happen.

I do wonder how many people on this site would honestly admit to turning a blind eye to their cat killing parrots etc in Australia.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wilpurina View Post
Re the two cat per house rule operated by most councils.....

I was really worried about this as our 4 are flying out on the 13th Nov. so I phoned the pet division of the local council where we will be living in Melbourne. They told me it wouldn't be a problem once I said we were going to install a run so they couldn't get out of our garden - this also gets round the Melbourne night cerfew that is in place in most if not all areas (not sure about other states)......how can you tell your cat it has to be home by sunset . Here are a couple of links for runs we have found, but there are absolutely loads of them....we will probably build our own and use these for inspiration:

www.catcagesaustralia.com.au
www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm
www.advancedcatenclosures.com.au
www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm
I thought it was pretty bizarre and i'm currently trying to get a very disgruntled moggy used to staying in at night by force.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our 4 cats with us 12 months ago. 2 elderly and 2 younger ones - all travelled well, no problems in quarantine and they are quite happy. Only have 3 now though the one in my avatar died a few weeks ago suddenly - not due to snakes or ticks or anything - apparently a heart problem we didn't know she had. We live in rainforest but not found any ticks on the cats yet - we have had them attached to us though
The snakes are making an appearance now it's spring and I have seen a few but they disappear at great speed once they hear you coming. One of my cats thought he would check one out the other day, good job I saw him looking interested in something and saw it, so I gave him the firm ''no'' a lot louder than usual and he jumped back and the snake shot off in the opposite direction. They seem to wander less now they have more land to wander on, just stay near the house, maybe they can sense they should, I don't know. They are kept in at night.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:17 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gav_71 View Post
Hi Killa! There seem to be local regulations about how many cats u can have without special permission etc. Special cat enclosures are recommended (and indeed compulsory) in some local authority areas. Seems like a reasonable idea to be honest as it protects the moggies from getting lost, hurt or worse and at the same times prevents them from exercising their killer instinct upon Australias endangered species list!

I was just after feedback from those who had taken cats with them out there!

Gav
I am unsure what to do with my cat. One minute I am committed to taking her then the next I decide not to take her. My cat is an outdoor cat and has constant access to the 'outdoors'. She loathes being kept in and is in and out mostly in the evening as she is a wanderer. The whole issue of keeping them in night and fences and enclosures is making me wonder if I should take her. I've never restricted her and cries at the door if she hasn't been out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.