Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing our cats to Aus from the UK.

Bringing our cats to Aus from the UK.

Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Tom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant future
Question Bringing our cats to Aus from the UK.

Hi there, I've just joined the site and could do with some advice. My wife and I are in the final stages of obtainig our Skilled Independant Visa (I'm a staff nurse). We plan to go the whole hogg, you know, sell the house, box the furniture and send the lot over to Brisbane. Now.... we don't have children but do have two very special cats which are esentially our 'family'! We know we can bring them, the costs involved and the fact that they'll have to spend 30 days in quarantine in Syndney. We would love to here from anyone who has already brought their cat/s to Aus from the UK. How did they cope with the flight/qurantine, and anything else useful. We're not really worried about anything else apart from our cats. We're desperately trying to avoid having to find them a new home. Cheers.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:42 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing our cats to Aus from the UK.

Originally Posted by Tom Ward
Hi there, I've just joined the site and could do with some advice. My wife and I are in the final stages of obtainig our Skilled Independant Visa (I'm a staff nurse). We plan to go the whole hogg, you know, sell the house, box the furniture and send the lot over to Brisbane. Now.... we don't have children but do have two very special cats which are esentially our 'family'! We know we can bring them, the costs involved and the fact that they'll have to spend 30 days in quarantine in Syndney. We would love to here from anyone who has already brought their cat/s to Aus from the UK. How did they cope with the flight/qurantine, and anything else useful. We're not really worried about anything else apart from our cats. We're desperately trying to avoid having to find them a new home. Cheers.

They'll be fine. We have no kids and our cats are our family. We brought them to Perth. You can visit them in Q and bring them treats.

Just double check with your pet flight people a few days before they fly as ours decided to leave it until an hour beforehand to check the paperwork and found something missing. Touch and go but we sorted it. Any queries, please PM me and I'll help.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:46 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We took two long haired cats. They coped with the trip OK but we shaved them so they would keep cool.

They bother disappeared when we moved into acreage though, not sure what became of them

Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:08 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
We took two long haired cats. They coped with the trip OK but we shaved them so they would keep cool.

They bother disappeared when we moved into acreage though, not sure what became of them

Our long haired cat faired really well too. We have been here 18 wks now and she seems to love it!!! We live on acerage too thats why we've got our cat as a house cat now for fear of losing her which is a bit of a shame for her really. C x
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

We made the very hard decision not to take our two cats, one of them is a fragile little thing who falls apart at the slightest change in her routine never mind being shipped all the way to the other side of the World and being in quarantine for a month.

We also had to look at a few things realistically, these things being 1) the distress caused to get them there, 2) the fact we are renting and having them there will cut down our options, 3) nobody to look after them in oz if we want to go away anywhere and last but not least 4) the ridiculous cost to get them there, although that one isnt really an issue as we would have paid anything if it wasnt for the other points.

Luckily my Gran loves our neurotic little kitty loads so is happily going to adopt her and our other younger cat is going to my wifes parents where she should fit in fine.

Its going to be the hardest thing we have ever done, they are our family and I will be devastated to leave them behind but given everything I really think it is the best for them
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themerlin

A bit irresponsible considering the ferral cat problam Australia already has, not to mention the fauna that may have been killed by the cats.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

struth is on a distinguished road

hi,

we brought our 12 year old moggie who is a bit of a stress bucket. we phoned quarantine to check on her and her 'carer' was very good, she had spent time with her to calm her, we picked her up after quarantine, which involved yet another flight for her as we were interstate, and she was absolutely fine.
she spent a day meowing at the top of her voice - obviously expressing her relief at seeing us, then a day ignoring us - to teach us a lesson
but, she has settled absolutely fine, and it is a joy to see her spread out on the floor, beds, couch, where ever.
it was defo the right decision for us to bring her
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our one with us, she was absolutely fine after the flight and in quarantine, we were not going to visit her as we thought it might upset her but actually she was much better after a visit, I guess knowing we were still around.

at the moment she and our mad aussie cat are indoor cats, DH is building them a run this spring off the laundry so they can have some freedom but not do any damage to the native animals/birds and also i dont like the idea of them running around the undergrowth with snakes and the like lurking.

they are quite happy being indoors but i feel guilty and cant wait til they get some outside time
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

we brought our cat and dog.....the cat was quite unhappy in quarantine as he hates being couped up but once we got him home he was fine.....he has changed slightly though....he was "king of the hill" in our last neighbourhood but here he is quite subdued, not fighting other cats and staying home most of the time......he has made himself known to the neighbours though!!
Pam x x
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:27 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

If you have two cats they can be transported in the same carrier or preferably in one where they are separated with a mesh so they can see each other but not fight if they get stressed. The carrier is made to measure by the transporting company. They have no food only water during the trip, which is standard. They may have a blanket in their carrier from home, but there is no guarantee you will get it back at the other end even if it is labelled (ours was & we did get it back, along with the carrier). They cannot wear collars. If they need medications, the transporter will advise what to do.

If you know your cats are prone to a particular disorder, it may be possible to "build them up" before they go, eg if severely prone to bladder infections, your vet may advise a course of protective antibiotics in advance or use of a supplement that improves bladder function. Check with your vet. They do not usually need any other medical treatment. Sometimes out here a cattery will prefer them to have had their vaccinations within the last six months rather than the last year for their first visit but this is not essential at all catteries.

The cats can often be boarded with the transporter a day or two before the flight. If the flight is early this will be essential as they must see the airport vet before they fly & have a routine anti-pest treatment.

You can get details of the quarantine from the transporter or the internet & phone them as you soon as your cats have arrived to check on them. At Sydney, the quarantine centre gave us the mobile number of the carer assigned to them which was reassuring. We found the quarantine to be quite basic but you can bring a few things for them - check what you can bring obviously. They will be housed together if you wish.

We then transferred them to a cattery & found apart from the north of Sydney there are fewer catteries than in the UK. We found one with a good sized run for them as they needed to be in there for another 6wks until they could stay with us. We visited them once a week in quarantine & the cattery & they were a bit happier with more space in the cattery, but have been fine really the whole time. Cats can often be boarded at vets here but the runs are extremely small so not advisable unless only for a day or two (or for medical reasons of course). There is one particularly luxurious cattery in south Sydney that has special play areas - it is accordingly priced! Otherwise prices similar to catteries in UK. Catteries can get booked up at school holiday times here.

We are planning to cat proof our garden using fences and wires around the perimeter that give a small electric shock if they try to cross. They also wear a tracking collar so you can trace their wearabouts within a smallish radius if they do go further. In general it seems less pet-friendly here. There are plenty of cat -enclosure manufacturers around if you wanted to go that route, or alternatively houses often come with a "rumpus" room you could use as a cat exercise area!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:23 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was the fauna that got them, they wouldn't run away too lazy.

Originally Posted by smee
A bit irresponsible considering the ferral cat problam Australia already has, not to mention the fauna that may have been killed by the cats.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Tom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant future

WOW, how brilliant that pretty much everyone is so positive. A lot of our fears have been quelled, but we obviously know this is still going to be stressful for all of us!! I'm sure that our moggies would like to be with us where-ever we go and we'd like to have them with us too. They are pretty much house cats already, neither having ever left the safety of our garden in the 4 years we've had them.

Great to hear from so many people who have been through the process and still have their furry friends in Aus. We'll have to warn the neighbourhood though, our cats are huge. Both mainecoons weighing in at 24lbs each. Piccies attached if anyone wants to see them. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails Bringing our cats to Aus from the UK.-basket-case.jpg   Bringing our cats to Aus from the UK.-lazy-hupf.jpg  
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

WOW, how brilliant that pretty much everyone is so positive. A lot of our fears have been quelled, but we obviously know this is still going to be stressful for all of us!! I'm sure that our moggies would like to be with us where-ever we go and we'd like to have them with us too. They are pretty much house cats already, neither having ever left the safety of our garden in the 4 years we've had them.

Great to hear from so many people who have been through the process and still have their furry friends in Aus. We'll have to warn the neighbourhood though, our cats are huge. Both mainecoons weighing in at 24lbs each. Piccies attached if anyone wants to see them. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Tom.
They look beautiful........