Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing my mum over

Bringing my mum over

Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

beattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nice
Default Bringing my mum over

Hi,

A bit of a tricky one here, hope someone can help!

I came over from Ireland on a spouse visa in 2004 and in Feb will be granted my PR.

My dad is terminally ill and he is not expected to last more than a few months from now, so obviously I'm returning home for a while.

being an only child, id like to bring my mum (50) over to australia with me when its all over, all things considered : she has no other real family there and she has been here on a holiday and loved it.

Is there any sort of special dispensation that can be got for these kind of circumstances? ie; not having to wait another 2 years after getting my PR before i can bring her over.

thanking you in advance,

Brian.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bringing my mum over

Hi Brian ...someone can correct me if I'm wrong but once you have your PR then you should be able to bring your mum over. However, you should still make enquiries because there could be obstacles...but as far as I know, if she has no ther relatives over there then she should be allowed to come. That's how it used to be anyway and I've lived here for 35 years. The authorities may want to know if she has means of supporting herself etc..but like I said it would be better if you made enquiries....things could have changed since I came over. So very sorry to hear about your father and my thoughts are with you and your mum and all your family ...B.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by beattun
Hi,

I came over from Ireland on a spouse visa in 2004 and in Feb will be granted my PR.

My dad is terminally ill and he is not expected to last more than a few months from now, so obviously I'm returning home for a while.

being an only child, id like to bring my mum (50) over to australia with me when its all over, all things considered : she has no other real family there and she has been here on a holiday and loved it.

Is there any sort of special dispensation that can be got for these kind of circumstances? ie; not having to wait another 2 years after getting my PR before i can bring her over.

thanking you in advance,

Brian.
She can apply for the sub class 143 if she is heatlhey and has a 26k ish or there is is temp parent visa all the info can be found on www.immi.gov.au

Martin
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

beattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nicebeattun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Hi Brian ...someone can correct me if I'm wrong but once you have your PR then you should be able to bring your mum over. However, you should still make enquiries because there could be obstacles...but as far as I know, if she has no ther relatives over there then she should be allowed to come. That's how it used to be anyway and I've lived here for 35 years. The authorities may want to know if she has means of supporting herself etc..but like I said it would be better if you made enquiries....things could have changed since I came over. So very sorry to hear about your father and my thoughts are with you and your mum and all your family ...B.
thank you for you kind words, and your advice, she has brothers and sisters there but theyre all married and have their own families.

she's well able to work
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tabby
She can apply for the sub class 143 if she is heatlhey and has a 26k ish or there is is temp parent visa all the info can be found on www.immi.gov.au

Martin
thanks Martin, I will check that out now.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:24 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beattun
Hi,

thanking you in advance,

Brian.
HI Brian
i think for most parent visas you need to be resident 2 years before you can sponsor a parent - i dont know if your temp spouse visa (i assume this is what you are on now) would qualify as time towards this.

As with all visa questions i would recommend talking to a migration agent. Most will discuss your options for free and they may know a way around the 2 years residency.

Tiggs

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; Jan 24th 2007 at 9:27 am.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

FionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud ofFionaCarreMA has much to be proud of

Hi Brian,

I would be happy to offer you a free initial assessment to determine your mum's eligibility for a visa. Please send me an email at carres[at]optusnet[dot]com[dot]au and hopefully I can be of assistance.

Kind regards,

Fiona Carre
Registered Migration Agent
Gold Coast, Australia
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
HI Brian
i think for most parent visas you need to be resident 2 years before you can sponsor a parent - i dont know if your temp spouse visa (i assume this is what you are on now) would qualify as time towards this.
It does. Remember the 10 year Assurance of Support rule and income requirements as well, though.

An only child will generally mean that the Balance of Family test is met unless there are complications like step-children or something.