Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing motorbike to Aus'

Bringing motorbike to Aus'

Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Bringing motorbike to Aus'

I know it's been discussed on here before, but this is something I hadn't seen before.

We had some shippers come round to give us a quote the other day and they sent us the paperwork etc. After looking through it says that in order to bring a motorbike to Australia I need to be a resident or have a full visa?

Anyone else know anything about this? It's the first I heard of it.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Bringing motorbike to Aus'

Hi Wookie,
If you check the dotars website it states that they allow exceptions for certain visa classes (457 and ?810) at the discretion of the administrator. You have to send a letter with your application for a vehicle import permit and demonstrate that you intend to go for residency. Try the dotars or vimports site and there is loads of info on there.
Hope this helps
Lisa
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing motorbike to Aus'

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I know it's been discussed on here before, but this is something I hadn't seen before.

We had some shippers come round to give us a quote the other day and they sent us the paperwork etc. After looking through it says that in order to bring a motorbike to Australia I need to be a resident or have a full visa?

Again look at the dotars website . We have PR , but the bike is still in the garage . Been a real pain from start to finish ( oh yeh its not finished hubby cant ride it yet ) .We have been here since september . It may be on the road by new year . We can only hope .
janet
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:51 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janet66
Again look at the dotars website . We have PR , but the bike is still in the garage . Been a real pain from start to finish ( oh yeh its not finished hubby cant ride it yet ) .We have been here since september . It may be on the road by new year . We can only hope .
janet
Hey Janet!
I had one like that!! Hubby finally got his bike on the road about 3 or 4 weeks ago... about 12 months after we arrived - and about 9 months after the bike arrived! Where abouts are you? What sort of bike is it? I know one thing - he'll be like a dog with two tails when it gets on the road!!

Sonic x
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:58 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

And it won't be the last - it can be complicated getting your bike to Aus...
What sort of visa are you coming out on? And when are you coming out? If you've had the shippers out to look at your stuff - you need to get a wiggle on because if you want to bring the bike you need to apply for Import Approval for the bike BEFORE you ship it.
Is it an old bike (built before 1989) or a new one.. how long have you owned it? Is it a standard bike or a modified one?

Good luck with it all...
Sonic x
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Hey Janet!
I had one like that!! Hubby finally got his bike on the road about 3 or 4 weeks ago... about 12 months after we arrived - and about 9 months after the bike arrived! Where abouts are you? What sort of bike is it? I know one thing - he'll be like a dog with two tails when it gets on the road!!

Sonic x
We are in Western Australia , its a 1200GS , nobody would go and look at it to give a valuation so we could pay GST , because it was european , even the BMW dealer in Perth , they just werent interested . WE did find someone eventually and that cost alot for a bit of paper . We are waiting for the sticker so it can go back over the pits again , but they dont call this place wait awhile for nothing .He keeps looking at it in the garage and washing it , he rode it round the garden .
janet
janet
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:32 am
Now a Mummy!

Originally Posted by janet66
We are in Western Australia , its a 1200GS , nobody would go and look at it to give a valuation so we could pay GST , because it was european , even the BMW dealer in Perth , they just werent interested . WE did find someone eventually and that cost alot for a bit of paper . We are waiting for the sticker so it can go back over the pits again , but they dont call this place wait awhile for nothing .He keeps looking at it in the garage and washing it , he rode it round the garden .
janet
janet
Ahhh the joys eh?! I'd forgotten about getting the GST Valuation done! What a rip off that is as well!

We brought a non-standard bike over so we had find an engineer to look at it as well, then roadworthy, then insurance, then take it QLD Transport so they could look at it!! It took a whole day to sort out the engineer, roadworthy, insurance and QLD transport!! But finally she's on the road.. although I can't ride coz I'm 6 months pregnant - have to wait till March!!

Good luck with everything!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Ahhh the joys eh?! I'd forgotten about getting the GST Valuation done! What a rip off that is as well!

We brought a non-standard bike over so we had find an engineer to look at it as well, then roadworthy, then insurance, then take it QLD Transport so they could look at it!! It took a whole day to sort out the engineer, roadworthy, insurance and QLD transport!! But finally she's on the road.. although I can't ride coz I'm 6 months pregnant - have to wait till March!!

Good luck with everything!
well done , god 9 months hell have a fit , good luck with the baby
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

And it won't be the last - it can be complicated getting your bike to Aus...
What sort of visa are you coming out on? And when are you coming out? If you've had the shippers out to look at your stuff - you need to get a wiggle on because if you want to bring the bike you need to apply for Import Approval for the bike BEFORE you ship it.
Is it an old bike (built before 1989) or a new one.. how long have you owned it? Is it a standard bike or a modified one?

Good luck with it all...
Sonic x
I'm coming out on spouse visa as the wife's Australian. Am heading out at the end of March, and the bikes 2001.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a good idea now if it is as much hassle as what's being said. The trouble is that 2nd hand bikes seem to be fairly pricey in Australia.

Argh - dunno what to do!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:50 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Janet!

Sonic x
Hi Sonic, its great to hear that Shaun finally got his bike on the road.

I had the misfortune to drop mine on a run up to the snowys, so I could do with somebody like Shaun around the corner

I am now the proud owner of a repairable writeoff at the moment.

I dont suppose he fancies a weekend down in Vic
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:55 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming out on spouse visa as the wife's Australian. Am heading out at the end of March, and the bikes 2001.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a good idea now if it is as much hassle as what's being said. The trouble is that 2nd hand bikes seem to be fairly pricey in Australia.

Argh - dunno what to do!
2nd hand is expensive, but in most cases it doesnt make it worthwhile bringing a bike over with all the possible hassles involved. If its your pride and joy, and a rarity, ok, but in most cases its more trouble than its worth.

I recently looked into buying a bike and importing it from the states after crashing mine recently, but even the $8,000 difference didnt make it worthwhile after import taxes/roadworthys etc.

One thing is for sure, Australia is definitely the place to ride a bike.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:35 am
Now a Mummy!

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi Sonic, its great to hear that Shaun finally got his bike on the road.

I had the misfortune to drop mine on a run up to the snowys, so I could do with somebody like Shaun around the corner

I am now the proud owner of a repairable writeoff at the moment.

I dont suppose he fancies a weekend down in Vic
I think we heard about your spill (do you own a warrior? - if so we must've heard from Spokes)... What a bugger?

I'll ask Shaun if he fancies a weekend in Melb.. although it would have to be in the summer.. he doesn't do being cold any more!

drop us an email.. via this!

Cheers for now
Sonic x

Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:18 am
Going for a ride

I think we heard about your spill (do you own a warrior? - if so we must've heard from Spokes)... What a bugger?

I'll ask Shaun if he fancies a weekend in Melb.. although it would have to be in the summer.. he doesn't do being cold any more!

drop us an email.. via this!

Cheers for now
Sonic x
Yep, that was me

I bought the bike back from the insurance company this week, and just ordered $3000 of new mods from the states this morning.

I'll mail you guys. If he fancies a ride down the ocean road, We are planning some time in Jan to ride the ocean road with the other Vic warriors.

furkew.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:24 am
Going for a ride

BTW, you are also more than welcome as well. Maybe Spokes will ride down as well. He's always winging that nobody in the area wants to go on a decent ride

Have mailed my number here. Give me a shout sometime.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I have looked into the pros and cons of bring 2 sportsbikes to Cairns in Oz and it just isn't worth it finanacially. Don't know what bike you ahve but we have found it about the same price for second hand Yamaha R1 and a kawasaki 750s. new price also seems to be about the same..and they will probably be in better condition there..not so much rain, road salt etc!! Mine is going on E Bay this week..gutted to see it go as have spent a bit of money on it but £2000 to get it there and possible waiting at the other end not worth it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.