Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bringing money over

bringing money over

Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default bringing money over

My son and his girlfriend are coming over on a student visa, January.
They are bringing over 6,ooo pound cash , what is the best way to bring it over.
We had ours transferred with HIFX. And we brought 11000 dollars cash on us
Any advice. Denise
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing money over

Originally Posted by cranni
My son and his girlfriend are coming over on a student visa, January.
They are bringing over 6,ooo pound cash , what is the best way to bring it over.
We had ours transferred with HIFX. And we brought 11000 dollars cash on us
Any advice. Denise
Hi Denise,

6000 pounds cash is roughly $14000, they are aswell bringing it over in Dollars ( getting it exchanged over in the Uk first) and just keeping a tight hold onto it until they land.

We are in the process of bringing over our last lot from the UK, I spoke to our bank in the UK last week and they said to transfer from UK account to OZ account: It's a maximum of 5000 pounds stirling per transaction - costs 35 pounds for 3 day delivery / 20 pounds for a 5 day delivery, plus whatever your OZ bank charge to recieve it. At a rate of $2.32 to the pound. OZFOREX were only giving $2.30 to the pound on the same day, although they don't charge transfer fees. To save all the hassle of paperwork and to get it fairly quicksmart we have opted to go with our bank. can't be arsed with all the hassle.

We transferred our 'bulk' when we moved with HIFX and got $2.52 to the pound but that was a better rate for a higher amount.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:33 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi Denise,

6000 pounds cash is roughly $14000, they are aswell bringing it over in Dollars ( getting it exchanged over in the Uk first) and just keeping a tight hold onto it until they land.

We are in the process of bringing over our last lot from the UK, I spoke to our bank in the UK last week and they said to transfer from UK account to OZ account: It's a maximum of 5000 pounds stirling per transaction - costs 35 pounds for 3 day delivery / 20 pounds for a 5 day delivery, plus whatever your OZ bank charge to recieve it. At a rate of $2.32 to the pound. OZFOREX were only giving $2.30 to the pound on the same day, although they don't charge transfer fees. To save all the hassle of paperwork and to get it fairly quicksmart we have opted to go with our bank. can't be arsed with all the hassle.

We transferred our 'bulk' when we moved with HIFX and got $2.52 to the pound but that was a better rate for a higher amount.

Hope this helps.
If you don't mind me asking how did you go about using HIFX? Did they charge?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would get them to open a Nationwide Flex Account (unless they already have one) and use the cash card to withdraw funds as and when they need them. No charged on withdrawals and a very good rate (which obviously fluctuates with the market rate) so could go up or down.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
If you don't mind me asking how did you go about using HIFX? Did they charge?

Cheers

Ginny
Hi Ginny,

from what I remember (it was 15 months ago...) I just registered on their site, they gave me a follow up courtesy call , then I kept a VERY close eye on the market (over about 4 or 5 months - true!!!) and when the time was right I set my rate with them. They then sent me all the associated paperwork, I instructed my bank to transfer the cash to HIFX, then HIFX kept it for us until we arrived in OZ. We then contacted HIFX with our aussie bank details and they put the converted cash into our aussie account. They didn't charge us at all. (Bear in mind they make their money on the rate they give you anyway). We did rerally well and got $2.52 to the pound - the rate was pretty good then.

Best wishes, Leigh. x
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest www.moneycorp.com - we got rates from HIFX and Tranzfers, told Moneycorp what they were (give or take) and they bettered it. You have to negotiate hard.

Do a search and you'll find a post I answered about putting money in the marketplace at a rate you want, then hope for the best.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ginny,

from what I remember (it was 15 months ago...) I just registered on their site, they gave me a follow up courtesy call , then I kept a VERY close eye on the market (over about 4 or 5 months - true!!!) and when the time was right I set my rate with them. They then sent me all the associated paperwork, I instructed my bank to transfer the cash to HIFX, then HIFX kept it for us until we arrived in OZ. We then contacted HIFX with our aussie bank details and they put the converted cash into our aussie account. They didn't charge us at all. (Bear in mind they make their money on the rate they give you anyway). We did rerally well and got $2.52 to the pound - the rate was pretty good then.

Best wishes, Leigh. x
we got 2.55 with HIFX last December. Our money was here 4 days after we got here, they where brilliant. Denise
Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:06 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Hi Denise,

Hope this helps.
surely use hifx or the bank to send it over, don't carry that kind of money about on you...... way too risky and not insured
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cranni
we got 2.55 with HIFX last December. Our money was here 4 days after we got here, they where brilliant. Denise
Thanks everyone for your advice.
2.55? Peachy!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:24 am
Just Joined

aforyea is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: bringing money over

2.55? Peachy!
Hi,

I used a company called world trading, I found them VERY helpful. I did approach HIFX, Moneycorp, and currencies direct and found that they tried to bully me in to exchanging. I dont know anything about money movement but they gave me a little lesson in the market.

I think that they will be able to help you, their website is www.worldtradingltd.com

good luck

Oliver
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marco121068
Personally I would get them to open a Nationwide Flex Account (unless they already have one) and use the cash card to withdraw funds as and when they need them. No charged on withdrawals and a very good rate (which obviously fluctuates with the market rate) so could go up or down.
Hi, we have a Nationwide Fex Account and wondered whether we could use our LINK card in the hole in the wall? Can you please confirm.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:17 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

So what would say HIFX give you at todays rate on the following amounts?

Is it true that the more you have the larger rate they would give?

Just after an idea as the rates are loiyering areond the $2.3 mark
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:20 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by adenray
Hi, we have a Nationwide Fex Account and wondered whether we could use our LINK card in the hole in the wall? Can you please confirm.
You do get free withdrawals for use overseas with a Nationwide Flex Account.

I think it is a good idea to have a flex account to put the money in from the sale of your house if you do not want to transfer the money straight away (ie due to a low exchange rate etc). At least when you are in Oz you can still access your money for free if you need to and then transfer it when the time is right.

cheers
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by frogboy
You do get free withdrawals for use overseas with a Nationwide Flex Account.

I think it is a good idea to have a flex account to put the money in from the sale of your house if you do not want to transfer the money straight away (ie due to a low exchange rate etc). At least when you are in Oz you can still access your money for free if you need to and then transfer it when the time is right.

cheers
Thanks Frogboy, I think we will do just that until the exchange rate improves.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:09 am
Just Joined

aforyea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adenray
Thanks Frogboy, I think we will do just that until the exchange rate improves.
why not try sun-pay.com?

then YOU control your money and dont get screwed by your bank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.