Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What age to the kids start school in Melbourne?

What age to the kids start school in Melbourne?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

DivingMissDaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What age to the kids start school in Melbourne?

Hi, we've just started the process to move to Melbourne. Our oldest will be 4 next year and I'm wondering what age they start school in Australia? The reason I ask is that in Scotland you start when you're 5 and it's 4 in England.

Thanks

Audrey
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What age to the kids start school in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by DivingMissDaisy
Hi, we've just started the process to move to Melbourne. Our oldest will be 4 next year and I'm wondering what age they start school in Australia? The reason I ask is that in Scotland you start when you're 5 and it's 4 in England.

Thanks

Audrey
Hello,
They start school in the Jan if they turn 5 before 30th April of that year. However, in reality, those that are due to turn 5 between Jan - April may well be 'held back' by the parents and start the following year as they like to start them at school a bit older. My son turned 5 in May and will start prep next Jan. There are kinder programmes run for 4 year olds which are usually around 11 hours per week, or there are also private day nurseries.

Good luck!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

DivingMissDaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What age to the kids start school in Melbourne?

Thanks Pootle, that's great. We're hoping to move next year and I would want her to settle first before sending her off to school.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What age to the kids start school in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by DivingMissDaisy

Thanks

Audrey

both my kids started school at 4 in scotland, it depends when there birthdays fall