Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bringing food over in my case ?

bringing food over in my case ?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Question bringing food over in my case ?

After watching new life down under I was suprised that food was allowed in ?? I thought I couldn't take a couple of packet of this and that with me ?? from Marks and Spencer ??

Anyone know if you can or cannot ?

Ta C x
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:08 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing food over in my case ?

Originally posted by Carrianne
After watching new life down under I was suprised that food was allowed in ?? I thought I couldn't take a couple of packet of this and that with me ?? from Marks and Spencer ??

Anyone know if you can or cannot ?

Ta C x
A couple of packets of what?

Mate brought over bread for me the other week! From M&S!

Fresh meat/fish/fresh dairy then you have problems - rest of it declare it. Dad could not get 2kgs of fresh prawns from PNG - gosh was I miffed! True story - I still have to find out did he get them into Canada after his visit with me when they held them in quarantine for him (hopefully in a fridge).

Cheers
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I love marks and spencer fruit sherbets I do have to admit I am an addict and there double chocolate eclairs (sweets) are delightful, would these be ok ?

I saw the guy bringing peas in and chocolate ?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi carianne. yes sweets and chocolates are absolutely fine. Its mainly just fresh fruit, veg and meat that they are looking out for, although I always declare sweets and chocolates when i go through, as they do ask you on the landing card, whether you are carrying anything that you can eat! but theres never been any problems, they let you straight through.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh Sassie you have just helped me stay addicted that's one case packed full of them then xx

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:33 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carrianne
I love marks and spencer fruit sherbets I do have to admit I am an addict and there double chocolate eclairs (sweets) are delightful, would these be ok ?

I saw the guy bringing peas in and chocolate ?
As sassie said - bring the sweeties (lollies!) but make sure you declare them. Friends send me some of favourites by post as well!

Peas? We do not see the same format here in Aus as the hour long shows you see. We get different snippets of all the people each daily half hour show with loads of it repeated each day. Some of the bits you get we don't and vice versa - but peas!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes it was quite funny the grandad bought dome LEO's dried peas for the mum as they don't get them over there I prefer fresh myself ??

Well i will remeber to declare them, that's if I haven't eaten them on my holiday over there
Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:58 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's really only fruit, vegetation and meat that they are interested in. Just declare everything (don't want to start off with form, do we!)

A few years ago, when I was working in Sydney, I took in a box of orchids I had bought in Singapore or Bangkok. The AQIS guy took each stem out of the box, held it over the spotlit white table and shook it vigorously. Each time one of them released a few insects it was put into the "Destroy" box: the ones that didn't were allowed in.

My point that the blooms with the healthy bugs in them (those bugs that could hang on like grim death) were allowed in and those that had the dead bugs (the ones that just fell out ) were destroyed met with a stony silence! Bit of a sense-of-humour failure.....
Old Jan 10th 2004, 5:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a friend who came out to visit some family a while ago and she had the most peculiar collection of stuff - various types of sweets (lollies), couple of tins of food, biscuits - in sealed packs, and gravy browning! The whole lot got through OK, but do make sure you declare everything - pack it all in one pack if possible, makes it easier for them to look at.

Try this link -

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20
Old Jan 10th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents in law brought us half a dozen boxes of Paxo Stuffing and declared it, the guy thought it was something really good and put on his rubber gloves to check it out. Must have thought us nuts for wanting it but when you try it here nothing compares. So long as it's not fresh fruit and meat/fish you shouldn't have a problem bringing it into the country.

Pity my inlaws can't go to our fav curry house and bring us out a lovely balti !!! Ohhh miss them heaps.......

Juls
Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:07 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Juls
My parents in law brought us half a dozen boxes of Paxo Stuffing and declared it, the guy thought it was something really good and put on his rubber gloves to check it out. Must have thought us nuts for wanting it but when you try it here nothing compares. So long as it's not fresh fruit and meat/fish you shouldn't have a problem bringing it into the country.

Pity my inlaws can't go to our fav curry house and bring us out a lovely balti !!! Ohhh miss them heaps.......

Juls
Bovril - daughter and husband have it on toast !!! yuck, any chance it would be allowed in??????????
Heard something about it being banned 'cos of the mad cows (prob hubby was talking about me)

Jill

Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:24 am
Merlot

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Bovril - daughter and husband have it on toast !!! yuck, any chance it would be allowed in??????????
Heard something about it being banned 'cos of the mad cows (prob hubby was talking about me)

Jill

Bovril is back on the shelves but VERY expensive. Coles West Gosford, NSW Central Coast last seen. I think around the $5/6 mark for small jar. I used to buy before the mad cow thing and I am sure it was cheaper.

They do OXO - must have in all expat cupboards, cheaper.

Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:26 am
Merlot

Jill

Just re-read your mail, realised you are from County Durham. I am moving back to live in Teesside initially - for my sins, in March 2004.

Last edited by Merlot; Jan 11th 2004 at 5:29 am.

Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:47 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Merlot
Bovril is back on the shelves but VERY expensive. Coles West Gosford, NSW Central Coast last seen. I think around the $5/6 mark for small jar. I used to buy before the mad cow thing and I am sure it was cheaper.

They do OXO - must have in all expat cupboards, cheaper.
Thanks for the info.

We're heading for Perth. Why oh why are you coming back ?. 'Tis beautiful senery up here, but damn cold and you will be welcomed into TRAFFIC HELL :scared: The tyne bridge is perminantley grid locked and Gateshead council must have a deal with a traffic light company to replace all the roundabouts. Osbourne Road is worse than ever.

Gosh hope I haven't put my size 5's in it - think I might miss bits too (quayside on a Friday maybe ??)

take care
Jill

Old Jan 15th 2004, 4:06 am
Merlot

Thanks for the info.

We're heading for Perth. Why oh why are you coming back ?. 'Tis beautiful senery up here, but damn cold and you will be welcomed into TRAFFIC HELL :scared: The tyne bridge is perminantley grid locked and Gateshead council must have a deal with a traffic light company to replace all the roundabouts. Osbourne Road is worse than ever.

Gosh hope I haven't put my size 5's in it - think I might miss bits too (quayside on a Friday maybe ??)

take care
Jill
Hi Jill

Thanks for the mail, we are coming back over to the UK for a couple of years, so if all fails we can come back.

TRAFFIC HELL - Sydney is a grid lock type of place, moved to the NSW Central Coast 3 years ago and the traffic somehow followed us, never seem to get away from it.

Looking forward to the English countryside - after a while Australia begins to look the same. Terrified about my first English Winter in 8 years.

Have a safe trip over.

Best regards
Merlot