Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bringing food in australia

bringing food in australia

Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default bringing food in australia

Hi We are heading to Brisbane in december and are going to be shipping a few boxes of personal belongings,does anyone one know if there are rules on what you can bring in? I was thinkig of tins of stuff and bags of sweets,boxes of cake mixes ,that sort of thing?
Cheers Lorri
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bringing food in australia

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi We are heading to Brisbane in december and are going to be shipping a few boxes of personal belongings,does anyone one know if there are rules on what you can bring in? I was thinkig of tins of stuff and bags of sweets,boxes of cake mixes ,that sort of thing?
Cheers Lorri
I think as long as it is shop bought and still sealed then it is ok. I have not had problems bringing food in like that. Just declare it all on entry.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Cheers Lorri

Can I ask why on earth you would feel the need to bring cake mixes into Oz?
Its not that far behind that you can't get sweets (lollies) etc.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I think as long as it is shop bought and still sealed then it is ok. I have not had problems bringing food in like that. Just declare it all on entry.
Don't bring fresh stuff like fruit and veg, no meat/milk/fish products, and if its all sealed so much the better. Just make sure you list everything and you should be fine
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

If you really don't like someone you could do what our friend did to us which was to mail us a box of Cadbury's cake mix for my birthday. $80 later to AQIS/Customs and we got the box, unopened.

(I suppose we could have refused, but she'd mailed it to us from work. If it was returned/bounced back we figured she'd get into trouble, so we paid up. At $10 per slice I would have expected something a bit less dry though!!!)
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I agree with Polly about the fresh stuff at the airport. There are sniffer dogs there, and while we were in the queue to go through passport control one came and sat down beside us. The guy asked, friendly like, if we'd brought any food in with us and we assured him no. He looked at the dog and asked, "are you sure?" We looked at each other, puzzled, and replied "no, of course not." "OK" says he and went away. Not being the sharpest tools in the bag at the end of a long flight, but equally not so stupid as to miss a hint when we hear one, we went through all our bag pockets and found the day old banana mouldering in a side pocket. Fortunately there are dump bins available before passport control which we used.

Needless to say, when we cleared passport control, guess whose bags got a thorough going over.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CHnJ
I agree with Polly about the fresh stuff at the airport. There are sniffer dogs there, and while we were in the queue to go through passport control one came and sat down beside us. The guy asked, friendly like, if we'd brought any food in with us and we assured him no. He looked at the dog and asked, "are you sure?" We looked at each other, puzzled, and replied "no, of course not." "OK" says he and went away. Not being the sharpest tools in the bag at the end of a long flight, but equally not so stupid as to miss a hint when we hear one, we went through all our bag pockets and found the day old banana mouldering in a side pocket. Fortunately there are dump bins available before passport control which we used.

Needless to say, when we cleared passport control, guess whose bags got a thorough going over.
LOL Tim's aunt did the same with an apple. I reckon you were lucky if the sniffer dog hadn't have found it and they saw it on the xray they would not have been too happy. I saw them huffing at an old lady who had forgotten about some fruit. You would have thought it was drugs they had found in her bag the way they looked at her lol.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

This reminded me of when I got stopped by a sniffer dog a couple of years ago at Brisbane. It turned out the dog picked up the scent of some fruit I had had in my handbag about a week previous.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

yep the same happened to us...dog sat down side of our bag...we said nope nothing in there mate...got pulled to side and stuck in bottom was a mouldy apple from days ago that we forgot about...we escaped a $500 dollar fine but got a warning what a welcome to OZ!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sassie
This reminded me of when I got stopped by a sniffer dog a couple of years ago at Brisbane. It turned out the dog picked up the scent of some fruit I had had in my handbag about a week previous.
Wow must have a great sense of smell. It reminds me of a friend I lived with in a shared house for a while, he told me he was going through security and the sniffer dog was all round him. He thought it was cute until the police man with it asked him did he have any drugs on him. He had forgotten his friend had given him some cannabis He had to be strip searched. He said they were very nice about it and I don't think he got into too much trouble.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The S's
Can I ask why on earth you would feel the need to bring cake mixes into Oz?
Its not that far behind that you can't get sweets (lollies) etc.
I lived in Brisbane for 35 years ,so I do know what you can get there or not.The reason being alot of the brands are not the same as the UK and I want to give some to my kids to try.
So why not?
Lorri
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

I an not that bothered about taking over food stuff as would learn to find a replacement, but my aussie rellies want us to take Thorntons sweets and tablet, bassett alsorts, walkers buns . etc. Think we will be declaring the sugar rush as well.

sj