Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing Dog to Oz from Uk for Holiday

Wikiposts

Bringing Dog to Oz from Uk for Holiday

Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:50 am
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Re: Bringing Dog to Oz from Uk for Holiday

The journey to Australia would be much more stressful for the dog than a trip to France. If I wanted my dog with me money would be know object but the stress on the dog would. Is there no-one in your home country that could look after the dog? I am lucky that my parents mind my dog when we are away but I would much rather kennel my dog over here than transport him to the otherside of the world to then spend 30 days in quarantine and 60 days in Australia before transporting him back.
KJJ.
Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
My family want to bring their dog with them for a few months when they come to visit me in Sydney. The dog has a pet passport as gores to france from Uk often, so i think getting back into UK no such a problem, my question is:

what is regulation for bringing pets into Australia for a few months. Has anyone dones this. I would really be greteful of some comments.

Thanks.

Christian and Jules.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what others have said - it would be crazy to take a dog on holiday to Australia. It would be an insane waste of thousands of pounds, but even if it were free it still would not be worth the stress to the dog of travelling & quarantine.
Plenty of people find it hard to justify shipping pets when they emigrate permanently, and some decide it is not worth it financially or for the animal.
I am planning to have my dog transported when I emigrate next year, but I'm just shutting my eyes when the numbers come up for how much it will cost, I can't believe it! Have told OH that we could buy five more when we got there for the price it will be - hope dog realises how much we are investing in him! He will be insured for as much as possible once we are there - I would be devastated and furious if he got poisoned or run over in the first month.
Any how, I don't think it is feasible to take a dog on hols to Australia. Sorry!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Thank you for all your replies. I told my family before it was a crazy idea, it now seems more and more crazy now I know what is involved. Hopefully they will listed to you guys as I have sent them all your replies by e-mail.

Thanks a bunch.

Christian and Julie.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

I think ur forgetting an important issue here- even if ur prepared to pay to get the dog there and it spends 30 days in quarantine, how long will it be in quarantine when it returns to the uk? could be upto 6 months
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:23 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShellnTez
I think ur forgetting an important issue here- even if ur prepared to pay to get the dog there and it spends 30 days in quarantine, how long will it be in quarantine when it returns to the uk? could be upto 6 months
Not relevant - as Oz is so tightly controlled, the UK only require vet checks and some injections whilst in Oz before being brought straight into the UK and with no quarantine.
It is same as coming back from europe with an animal on a pet passport...