Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing Cats To Sydney Australia Help!

Bringing Cats To Sydney Australia Help!

Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

teacup71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing Cats To Sydney Australia Help!

Does anyone have recent experience of taking their cats to Sydney Australia?

I have two 1 year old beautiful male moggies, Bob and Claude. I will be emigrating in April 2013. Can anyone tell me about / give advice on, the process and the costs involved from recent experience?

They are both chipped and neutered. We will fly from Heathrow to Sydney.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Katy.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Cats To Sydney Australia Help!

Originally Posted by teacup71

I have two 1 year old beautiful male moggies, Bob and Claude. I will be emigrating in April 2013. Can anyone tell me about / give advice on, the process and the costs involved from recent experience?

Katy.
Hi Katy,

Have they had their rabies shots yet?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Old Sparkles,
No they haven't had rabies shots, This is what Im looking for information regarding the process of getting them ready to take out.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:53 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Old Sparkles,
No they haven't had rabies shots, This is what Im looking for information regarding the process of getting them ready to take out.
Hi Katy,

There are lots of companies who can help you take your cats with you, but if you are gooing in April, is there anyone in the UK that can look after them for a few months. I say this because from the time of the blood test after a rabies vaccine, to the point they can be released from quarantine is 180 days. Therefore, if you ship them in 80 days, they would have to spend 100 days in quarantine

Here's a link to the official site

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the United Kingdom

and has details of all the steps needed.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Katy.
You are looking into this very very late. As your cats have not had rabies jabs they would need six months of quarantine in Australia. It is not a pleasant place and I am afraid the Sydney quarantine is particularly horrid for cats. Please do not put your cats in there for six months. Can someone look after them here in uk for you until they are ready to go? Otherwise I would suggest rehoming would be the kindest thing to do.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:17 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you contact Louise at http://www.petairuk.com/
We're taking our dogs with them in the summer after checking out many companies. Louise is very helpful. As others have said, you are late in the day for rabies.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for putting your trip off. If want the best experience for your cat you need to start the rabies process now and then wait. Whilst you're waiting you can do more necessary research, organisation etc.. necessary for a big move (for yourself and your cat). If you wait as long as possible the minimum your cat will need to spend in quarantine is 1 month, which is much more doable than 100 days!! I can't even imagine how bad that would be for an animal. Do you know how expensive it is and have you read up on all the necessary documentation you'll require? It's quite a lot of paperwork, vet visits etc.. ,etc.. and, IMO quite expensive (but worth it also IMO).

Read through carefully the link Old.Sparkles gave above and good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat spent 30 days in quarantine- the staff were lovely the place was spotless (Mebourne( but ultimately it is a small cage with twice weekly visits allowed.
I would go for the minimum stay- so def agree with postponing the trip. You need about 7 month lead time.
Rabies shot> blood test a month later>6 months they are OK for just 30 days in quarantine (at least this was the case for us..these do change)
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Dear all thanks for all the information,
The reason we are coming at this late is due to an unexpected return to Oz due to illness. So yes we are aware that there is still a lot to sort out, still nothing that cant be done with some organisation and a happy attitude! We have decided we will leave our cats here for 6 months with a foster cat Momma whilst we get sorted and then have them bought out at later date. Thanks for the info and the time taken to reply.
x