Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing back items from China holiday?

Bringing back items from China holiday?

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

DanziM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing back items from China holiday?

Hi guys, my first post so HI to all of you. Thanks for providing this forum, seems alot of action on here!

Im just returning home after 3 years at uni in England. I just graduated so my time is up, but i experienced every part of the United Kingdom and it really has grown on me. Ill admit most aussies dont give it a chance, but 3 years is more than enough to see it my way.

Anyway to my question, ive come here as many of you im sure have been in my position and maybe have an answer.

Im currently in China for 3 weeks as a stop off before Cairns and ive bought myself a new set of Golf clubs. Everything here is 20% the price it is in aus or uk(and yes they are real! - suprising) Ive paid about $300 but the Australian equiv is about $950 for the same thing.

What i want to know is will i be charged any tax or duty on these when i bring them back? I know full well our customs system is terribly notorius for picking on the smallest things, so hence why im posting here. Ive looked on the customs website, but it gives nothing about having to declare anything like this!

Im clueless and dont wish to have any issues once i arrive back. I also have a load of other things, but not to the scale and cost of the clubs.

Any replies much appriciated, thanks.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing back items from China holiday?

You should not have any problems.
Might be worth keepimg the invoice from the place you have bought them just in case.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanziM
Hi guys, my first post so HI to all of you. Thanks for providing this forum, seems alot of action on here!

Im just returning home after 3 years at uni in England. I just graduated so my time is up, but i experienced every part of the United Kingdom and it really has grown on me. Ill admit most aussies dont give it a chance, but 3 years is more than enough to see it my way.

Anyway to my question, ive come here as many of you im sure have been in my position and maybe have an answer.

Im currently in China for 3 weeks as a stop off before Cairns and ive bought myself a new set of Golf clubs. Everything here is 20% the price it is in aus or uk(and yes they are real! - suprising) Ive paid about $300 but the Australian equiv is about $950 for the same thing.

What i want to know is will i be charged any tax or duty on these when i bring them back? I know full well our customs system is terribly notorius for picking on the smallest things, so hence why im posting here. Ive looked on the customs website, but it gives nothing about having to declare anything like this!

Im clueless and dont wish to have any issues once i arrive back. I also have a load of other things, but not to the scale and cost of the clubs.

Any replies much appriciated, thanks.
The duty free allowance is about AUD1000, so you will be fine.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say just rub some mud on them so they look like they are a bit used...but then probably AQIS will have you for the dirt!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, when we came in they asked me if I had anything which had cost over $1000, when I said yes they said was it more than a year old, in which case I wouldn't need to pay duty. So as it is worth under $1000 you should be fine.