Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To bring the TV or not to bring the TV?

To bring the TV or not to bring the TV?

Old Sep 26th 2004, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

squalks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To bring the TV or not to bring the TV?

We have a 32inch Digital Sony TV we purchased less than 2 years ago. We cannot decide whether to bring it to Sydney with us or to sell it! Does anyone know if it will work first of all?

Also is our DVD player worth bringing out for the same reason, with or without the TV? and does anybody know what region DVDs are available in Australia?

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Re: To bring the TV or not to bring the TV?

If your TV is a multi-system TV then take it, if not then dont bother. Australia has a different type of PAL signal to the UK. Similar situation with your DVD player, if it is multi-region or chipped take it; if not it will only play DVD's bought here.
Unless of course you take your TV and DVD player to play in one room and buy another out there.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:44 pm
Following our dream..Zzzz

Aussiemad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we're in a similar situation. We have a fabulous TV over here too and was wondering the same as you about shipping it over. However, after having spoken to our shipping people (who were extremely helpful!!) they advised us that unless your TV is PHILLIPS, MITSUBISHI or DAEWOO it's not worth taking as you'll either get picture and no sound or sound and no picture... and that goes for DVD's, VIDEOS etc.... But, if you did decide to take it anyhow it will still be useful in a kids bedroom or rumpus room to watch video's etc.

Luckily all ours are compatable so we're sorted!!

Hope this helps

Aussiemad
Originally Posted by squalks
We have a 32inch Digital Sony TV we purchased less than 2 years ago. We cannot decide whether to bring it to Sydney with us or to sell it! Does anyone know if it will work first of all?

Also is our DVD player worth bringing out for the same reason, with or without the TV? and does anybody know what region DVDs are available in Australia?

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2004, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

squalks is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood that they use a slightly different version of PAL but I was also informed that if we go cable then the receiver would simply have a SCART output which would connect to the TV (as SKY or Freeview does here).If this is the case the TV would function just fine - right?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:24 pm
Following our dream..Zzzz

Aussiemad is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood that they use a slightly different version of PAL but I was also informed that if we go cable then the receiver would simply have a SCART output which would connect to the TV (as SKY or Freeview does here).If this is the case the TV would function just fine - right?
Sorry, that's just gone right over my head???? Maybe someone else can help!!
Good luck,
Aussiemad.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 7:21 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

We've got a nice big screen tv (Mitshubishi 37") and I'm planning on taking that even though I know that it won't decode the Aus PAL signal correctly.

The trick here is to get any other decoder/tuner box that is sold in Aus and to use that as the TV tuner. You can then take the seperate audio/video signals out of the seperate box and feed them straight into our telly. This gets around the problem of Aus using a slightly different flavour of PAL.

As for the "box", this can be anything that can receive and decode signals and make them available via outputs as seperate audio/video signals, i.e. scart sockets, phono sockets. Some examples of how you could do this are :-

> Get a satellite decoder box and feed it's audio/video output into the input of your TV.

> Get a cable TV box and feed it's audio/video output into the input of your TV.

> Get a video record and feed it's audio/video output into the input of your TV.

Any of these ways will work and they all mean that you can take any UK based TV and it will work without any internal modifications.

The only catch is that you won't be able to plug a terrestrial TV aerial into the TV and expect it to receive Aus tv stations. You will have to use the seperate box instead.

Most people will end up buying one of the aforementioned types of boxes anyway (satellite will be a must for us if what I hear about Aus terrestrial TV is anything to go by ) so there wouldn't be any additional cost anyway.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 26th 2004, 7:31 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

I thought it was as easy as buying an Aussie VCR and running the co-ax cable through that before it hits the TV?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 7:35 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a plasma screen check with the removals firm that they're happy to ship. I heard that PSS won't take plasma screen tv's anymore because of the high risk of damage and expense of replacement.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Thanks
Take your TV, buy an Aussie VCR, connect it to the TV using a scart lead or AV leads and turn it on, no problem. Take your DVD player, if it isnt multi-region all you have to do is search the web or wait till someone on here knows the website for changing your DVD player to multi-region one.

Andy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

cooldood is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi, sorry i cant help about the TV, but we have just returned from Florida with a load of dvd films (that cheap could not leave them on the shelf ) we also have a sony dvd player, ours has the built in surround sound which was region 2 only, but half an hour after finding out it would not play the region 1 discs ours was region free with a little help from my laptop and a program i downloaded off the net

if you need any help just ask

Jon
Old Sep 27th 2004, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We have brought our 42" widescreen Toshiba t.v which is only about 2 years old and it works fine. Hubbie took about 1/2 hr to get it tuned in and the sound working properly but it is just fine.

We shipped with PSS who adviced that we should have a wooden box built to protect it in transit. It cost us about £60 and it was worth it.

Hope this helps,

Mandy
Old Sep 27th 2004, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

If sorry if i offend anyone but i'm bloody sick of hearing this question. Just bring your Telly and your DVD player

Try your telly when you get here, if it doesnt work there are hundreds of TV repair shops in Sydney who are more than happy to charge you around $90 to convent your telly to the correct PAL dog food or whatever it is called. Go on the google and search for hacks for multi region DVD. You will find hundreds of sites that will give you the code to type into your DVD player via your remote. You can then watch all DVD's. Dont bring your video player. Thats unless you have loads of money to spend on new stuff

If anybody wants to correct me then just try it
Old Sep 27th 2004, 5:57 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I've got a 3700" Myitchi plasma tv and a brand new DVDVD player recorder.
Will I be able to watch it in Australia?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:18 am

gedge has disabled reputation

OK seriously.
As JH says, bring it and see.
You can always get it fixed here, or buy a vcr over here and tune through it.
We planned to do one of those, but found our tv worked fine. It was a reasonably new Phillips.
If you are not happy with leaving it to chancem and don't want to sell it in the UK, then I would suggest contacting the dealer or preferably the manufacturer. They probably have a web site, and some form of enquiry available.
Like this one...Web
Phone - Customer Information Centre - 08705-111999
(8.30am-6.00pm, Monday -Friday)
Snail Mail -
Sony Customer Information Centre
Pipers Way
Thatcham
Berkshire
RG19 4LZ
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:22 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally Posted by John Howard
If sorry if i offend anyone but i'm bloody sick of hearing this question. Just bring your Telly and your DVD player

Try your telly when you get here, if it doesnt work there are hundreds of TV repair shops in Sydney who are more than happy to charge you around $90 to convent your telly to the correct PAL dog food or whatever it is called. Go on the google and search for hacks for multi region DVD. You will find hundreds of sites that will give you the code to type into your DVD player via your remote. You can then watch all DVD's. Dont bring your video player. Thats unless you have loads of money to spend on new stuff

If anybody wants to correct me then just try it
Well John you have said this before but as I have now spend 9 months trying to get various tv engineers to do the necessary to our two -a;lmost new - uk tv's I have not had ANY luck They are advsised it is not the thing to do , it cannot be done, it is not possible., the new ones do not have the swich over device in it (this was also advised of my 15 year old Grundig so whats the difference) If you can give me the mname of a compan y anywhere in NSW or goin g up to Brisbane we would ebe delighted but in the mean time WE CANNOT GET IT DONE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.