Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To bring motorbike or not???

To bring motorbike or not???

Old May 13th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To bring motorbike or not???

I know there was a thread here a while ago on motorbikes, but I can't find it.

Basically, I need t oknow the following:

My husband has just changed his bike ('97 Honda Pan European) just 2 weeks ago. We are moving to Adelaide in November. Looking at the import forms for shipping, it looks like he can't take it as he's not owned it for 12 months????? is this right?

He changed the bike the day the visa's arrived!!!! typical!

Can anyone shed any light on this??

If indeed he can't take it, roughly how much does bikes cost in Oz? have heard more than its likely to cost to import!!
Old May 13th 2008, 9:03 am
Just Joined

ey up 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To bring motorbike or not???

Unless you have owned it for a year your'e not allowed to import, if you are really attached to it leave it with someone & get it sent at a later date, it's a lot easier to sell it & buy here.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

So..are they fairly "cheaper" in oz? looking to pick one up when i get there...

cheers

C
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point

From what we've seen via websites, bikes are extortinate for anything decent. There seems to be a lot of cheap trials type bikes. Doesn'[t seem to be anything like the european standards available - maybe we are lookoing in the wrong place!
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lettik
From what we've seen via websites, bikes are extortinate for anything decent. There seems to be a lot of cheap trials type bikes. Doesn'[t seem to be anything like the european standards available - maybe we are lookoing in the wrong place!

Thats i thought..having had a v quick look....has anyone done a quick calc to see if its worth bringing one in? Or is there a v loose rule of thumb calc as in customs list price + % x % = amount payable

Be interesting to see.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

micko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant futuremicko has a brilliant future

That's a realy weird rule. It seems crazy to me that you can't import your own property, no matter how long you've owned it. I mean you must have paid tax on it already when you bought it. I'd check this with Aussie customs to make sure you get the correct information.

Apart from that there are loads of bike shops in Adelaide. I'm fairly certain you'll be able to get just about anything you want, especially if you're after a jap bike. As for costs, I'm not sure as I haven't looked yet.

What you need to look out for is all the bloody speed cameras in Adelaide. You can't ride like you do in the UK, cause you're licence won't last long.

Anyway good luck with the move and let us know the answer you get from the customs people.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by micko
That's a realy weird rule. It seems crazy to me that you can't import your own property, no matter how long you've owned it. I mean you must have paid tax on it already when you bought it. I'd check this with Aussie customs to make sure you get the correct information.

Apart from that there are loads of bike shops in Adelaide. I'm fairly certain you'll be able to get just about anything you want, especially if you're after a jap bike. As for costs, I'm not sure as I haven't looked yet.

What you need to look out for is all the bloody speed cameras in Adelaide. You can't ride like you do in the UK, cause you're licence won't last long.

Anyway good luck with the move and let us know the answer you get from the customs people.
On the importatation of own property...i'm having to give away about 12 bottles of whisky before i go...some nice ones as well as i dont think u can take them either...
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:46 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

this is a motorbike thread with loads of info including shipping: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479975

Personally I would not recommend shipping especially if its a japanese new model. They are readily available in Aussie with all the usual trimmings. Prices vary but there is more scope to haggle ( we found ) when tendering cash or buying more than one ( that is for buying new ). If you are shipping an exotic or old masterpiece then of course yes. I recommend you get on the honda australia website (all manufacturers have similar) and look for dealers in the area / state you are moving to. We got the names, phone numbers and emails for all dealers east and north NSW and we emailed them all for their best price. We got around £1000 off list UK price (this included all on the road costs ~ which are DIFFERENT to the UK so beware).

The secondhand bike market is more buoyant and much more costly - which is a good thing at trade in. You're not selling your baby for next to nothing which is what we found in the UK. Depreciation is much much slower.

Off road bikes as you'd expect have high demand and as a result in built up areas there are more thefts of these too!!!!!!!

One last warning. Accessories are COSTLY here. Especially dealer / manufacturer extras so you might want to research anything you might need and buy before comiing over. Also - clothing etc is not as advanced. There are some home grown bike clothes and accessories manufacturers but in my opinion they are NOT as high quality as Frank Thomas, Hein Gericke etc. You CAN get the popular names - Arai, Shoei, Alpinestars but you have to hunt.

Also eBAY is nowhere near as popular!!!!!!! So cheap kit is difficult to come by. Again - research before coming out and buy before you fly. The exception might be Draggin jeans (kevlar inserts) which are useful for summer riding ~they are just about to be stocked in the UK by Hein Gericke. Vented or airflow mesh jackets are also VERY popular here but beware, some of them look a bit like a hairnet - I'm not sure they would survive a serious OFF!

Next - if you're into track days. Hmmm ............. well you might have to do a LOT or travelling to get to anything decent. BUT, the pilgrimage to motoGP every year at Philip Island is NOT to be missed for those on the east and south east of Aussie. Sorry to those on the north and west but the planes are always ready to fly you over!

Originally Posted by Lettik
I know there was a thread here a while ago on motorbikes, but I can't find it.

Basically, I need t oknow the following:

My husband has just changed his bike ('97 Honda Pan European) just 2 weeks ago. We are moving to Adelaide in November. Looking at the import forms for shipping, it looks like he can't take it as he's not owned it for 12 months????? is this right?

He changed the bike the day the visa's arrived!!!! typical!

Can anyone shed any light on this??

If indeed he can't take it, roughly how much does bikes cost in Oz? have heard more than its likely to cost to import!!