Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bring in medicine with me or via courier?

Bring in medicine with me or via courier?

Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

moo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bring in medicine with me or via courier?

I know this issue is probably been discussed before.
As some of you are aware i'll be coming to Sydney to start my year long working holiday adventure.
However I need to bring my medication. Which consists of Anti Retriovirals. My consultant in the UK has agreed to supply me enough meds for my stay. The issue how to transport them to Australia. Reading up on it im only allowed to bring in three months supply in my suitcase. Can I send the rest via courier? or can I risk it and bring the whole lot with me?

Before anyone asks yes I can get the meds via the PBS. However after email discussions with a clinic in Sydney the doctor has mentioned the following about PBS and my meds in regards. They come under schedule S100 on the PBS.

Reciprocal Health Care Agreement – Where a patient is entitled to be treated as an eligible person as a visitor from a country with which Australia has entered into a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement, the supply will be limited to the original prescription only. Repeat prescriptions for these patients are not permitted

I am getting travel insurance but thats to cover to stuff like emergency evac etc. I dont want to force my parents to sell their house. In order to bring me back in the case worst happens lol.
Just to add I did contact the hostel about sending them in advance they stated they have no problems with me doing that as long I give them a heads up about it. Apparently they have done this for other guests in the past.

Last edited by moo1982; Jun 11th 2014 at 9:00 am. Reason: m
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bring in medicine with me or via courier?

Originally Posted by moo1982
I know this issue is probably been discussed before.
As some of you are aware i'll be coming to Sydney to start my year long working holiday adventure.
However I need to bring my medication. Which consists of Anti Retriovirals. My consultant in the UK has agreed to supply me enough meds for my stay. The issue how to transport them to Australia. Reading up on it im only allowed to bring in three months supply in my suitcase. Can I send the rest via courier? or can I risk it and bring the whole lot with me?

Before anyone asks yes I can get the meds via the PBS. However after email discussions with a clinic in Sydney the doctor has mentioned the following about PBS and my meds in regards. They come under schedule S100 on the PBS.

Reciprocal Health Care Agreement – Where a patient is entitled to be treated as an eligible person as a visitor from a country with which Australia has entered into a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement, the supply will be limited to the original prescription only. Repeat prescriptions for these patients are not permitted

I am getting travel insurance but thats to cover to stuff like emergency evac etc. I dont want to force my parents to sell their house. In order to bring me back in the case worst happens lol.
Just to add I did contact the hostel about sending them in advance they stated they have no problems with me doing that as long I give them a heads up about it. Apparently they have done this for other guests in the past.
Hi moo - can your consultant in the UK not write you a letter to give to the clinic here - so the clinic here can write out your prescriptions as needed? I wouldn't advise bringing 12 months worth if the regs expressly prohibit that. Can't comment about bringing them in via courier sorry. The only experience I've had in that regard is trying to get an anti depressant medication to my sister while she was on a long holiday in Crete - her bag was stolen and the medication she was on isn't available in Greece. Had to go all the way to the Australian Embassy!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

My consultant will do that anyway. I am going to see her in a few weeks to sort out a letter to bring along with me to hand in to the clinic when I arrive in Sydney. Also a separate letter for the customs officers in case I get stopped and get asked questions about it.

Yes the clinic can give me presrciptions in Sydney however my meds are extremely expensive at least $1000 per month. Im only entitled to two month subsided supply via the PBS. Then im on my own :'(

I want to treat the supply via the PBS as just emergency supply in case something happens like lost bag etc. Its situations like this I am grateful to the NHS and appreciate how lucky I am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read this?

Personal importation scheme

It says 3 month supply (at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer)

Do you take the maximum dose or can you use this concession?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My consultant will do that anyway. I am going to see her in a few weeks to sort out a letter to bring along with me to hand in to the clinic when I arrive in Sydney. Also a separate letter for the customs officers in case I get stopped and get asked questions about it.

Yes the clinic can give me presrciptions in Sydney however my meds are extremely expensive at least $1000 per month. Im only entitled to two month subsided supply via the PBS. Then im on my own :'(

I want to treat the supply via the PBS as just emergency supply in case something happens like lost bag etc. Its situations like this I am grateful to the NHS and appreciate how lucky I am.
Ah, I see. Yes, the medication is hideously expensive, one of my best mates uses it. I can't help thinking that there must be some sort of exception to the quantity rules for people in your situation. Will have a scout around and see if I can find anything out. Lesley's suggestion is a good one too!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:42 am
Concierge

Now that I've read up on it a bit more, it doesn't sound as though you'd have any trouble getting your medication posted/couriered to you here, at 3 monthly intervals. Sounds like the best way to go. Best of luck with planning your trip, you must be really excited!

If you require more than a 3-month supply, you will need to obtain further supplies within Australia or arrange for further supplies to be mailed into Australia. Further supplies of medication (3 months maximum per import) can be forwarded to an individual by post. Please see the personal importation scheme for information about importing products by mail or courier into Australia for personal use.
Entering Australia
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lesleys
Have you read this?

Personal importation scheme

It says 3 month supply (at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer)

Do you take the maximum dose or can you use this concession?
Yep its at the maximum dose. Its a once a day pill regime. Looks like I'll have to send three boxes of three months supply individually.
What will happen it I get caughed with more the three month supply? Just wondered thats all.

Last edited by moo1982; Jun 11th 2014 at 1:12 pm. Reason: m
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Yep its at the maximum dose. Its a once a day pill regime. Looks like I'll have to send three boxes of three months supply individually.
What will happen it I get caughed with more the three month supply? Just wondered thats all.
Breaking a customs regulation will obviously result in a penalty. If you want to find out what that penalty is for the purpose of deciding whether or not to break Australian laws, I doubt you'll get an answer on here.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Breaking a customs regulation will obviously result in a penalty. If you want to find out what that penalty is for the purpose of deciding whether or not to break Australian laws, I doubt you'll get an answer on here.
Best not risk it. It was just a pain just getting the visa in the first place.
Looks like 3 months supply in my hand luggage and the rest sent via courier. Ideally i would prefer the take the lot with me but rules are rules.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Best not risk it. It was just a pain just getting the visa in the first place.
Looks like 3 months supply in my hand luggage and the rest sent via courier. Ideally i would prefer the take the lot with me but rules are rules.
For what it's worth, as I mentioned before I think there should be exceptions for people in situations such as yours.

Good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

For what it's worth, as I mentioned before I think there should be exceptions for people in situations such as yours.

Good luck.
Yeah I know, thanks for your help and advice.
I have to admit it the 5th August doesnt seem far away lol, feelings of both excitment and dread lol
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Yeah I know, thanks for your help and advice.
I have to admit it the 5th August doesnt seem far away lol, feelings of both excitment and dread lol
You'll have an absolute ball
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.

I had no idea that there was a limit on bringing in required medication. I usually bring back a year's supply of Emeperazole from the US, as it costs peanuts there, and is available off the shelf at Wall Mart. I think I was able to kit myself out for a year at the cost of 3 months here.

I've never had any problems with Customs either.

Having to get it mailed to you in 3 month intervals seems like an arsehat, particularly if your consultant has arranged for a year's supply. I think that given you have a 1 year visa and an authorisation from your overseeing consultant, I would be tempted to bring the year's supply and be prepared to state my case if Customs get the arse. I think they would be very unlikely to fine you in those circumstances.

S
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I had no idea that there was a limit on bringing in required medication. I usually bring back a year's supply of Emeperazole from the US, as it costs peanuts there, and is available off the shelf at Wall Mart. I think I was able to kit myself out for a year at the cost of 3 months here.

I've never had any problems with Customs either.

Having to get it mailed to you in 3 month intervals seems like an arsehat, particularly if your consultant has arranged for a year's supply. I think that given you have a 1 year visa and an authorisation from your overseeing consultant, I would be tempted to bring the year's supply and be prepared to state my case if Customs get the arse. I think they would be very unlikely to fine you in those circumstances.

S
Thanks for the feedback.
I admit im tempted to take the lot and argue my case.
I'll mull it over nearer the time. It is alot of hassle getting it mailed in three month increments.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I had never heard it either. I know many people over the years who have brought a year or more suply of the Pill with them, for one thing. And the amount of stuff I bring in from Boots is well over three months supply of Beechams etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.