Bridging Visa or Student Visa ?

Bridging Visa or Student Visa ?

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:17 am
pap
Forum Regular

pap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bridging Visa or Student Visa ?

Hi all,

I picked up this from an old thread (pasted underneath).
Can George, Peter or anyone else answer my query pls:

I am an overseas student studying at Adelaide uni and am graduating in December. I will be appying for my PR under the onshore category end of December (lets say 30th of Dec).

My student visa expires only on March 15, 2003.

Now, my question is that from the 30th of December to the 15th of March will i be on a student visa or a bridging visa ????

Why I need to know this is I because I will be doing 3 months of work experience from Dec to Feb'02. I have already completed 3 months of work exp in 2001.

Now, if I am on a student visa during that period then, at the time of assessment(say if my application is assessed in April 2003), I can claim bonus points for work experience.

But if I am on a bridging visa from Dec to Feb'02, I can't claim those bonus points!!

Any advice would be quite helpful.

Cheers,
Pap

<<All onshore 880 and 881 applications are being processed promptly at the moment, but
you should bear in mind that the temporary visa is intended to allow you to apply for
the permanent visa. When the permanent visa is applied for you go on to a bridging
visa for that application. The bridging visa has full work rights, but it only
applies from the moment that your substantive visa ceases. And no, it is not a good
idea to get your student visa cancelled, but in most cases you should be able to work
full time as a student visa holder.

Bridging visas for onshore graduate applications are normally only evidenced by
Adelaide; if you need the visa you need to send your passport there.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au>>
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:27 am
pap
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bridging Visa or Student Visa ?

Whoops !! It should read Dec-Feb'03

Pap
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pap.

Have a look at form 1187i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1187i.pdf

This form explains that you should make an application for the Graduate Skilled (Temporary) visa once you have completed your course of study in Australia.

The application for the temporary 497 visa is here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1182.pdf

Hope this helps.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk
Offices in Southampton, England and Melbourne, Australia
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:42 am
pap
Forum Regular

It is not a question about Graduate Skilled Temporary Visa at all.
That is only for those you can't apply immediately after their graduation as they might not be able to meet all the requirements immediately or their student visa expires before they are in a position to apply ...so they buy time (6months) to apply.

I will be applying immediately ...my question is about the ambiguity btwn bridging visa and student visa.

Pap
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:51 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Then George's earlier reply answers your question:

"The bridging visa has full work rights, but it only applies from the moment that your substantive visa ceases."

In other words your student visa remains valid until 15/03/2003, at which point you will revert to a bridging visa.

Best regards.
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 7:26 am
pap
Forum Regular

Thank You Alan ,

I have got my answer LOUD and CLEAR !!
Its been written explicitly in Form 1024i (Bridging Visas)

Hmm...now I can sleep in peace !

Cheers
Pap
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 5:24 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pap
Why I need to know this is I because I will be doing 3 months of work experience from Dec to Feb'02. I have already completed 3 months of work exp in 2001.

Now, if I am on a student visa during that period then, at the time of assessment(say if my application is assessed in April 2003), I can claim bonus points for work experience.

But if I am on a bridging visa from Dec to Feb'03, I can't claim those bonus points!!
Bonus points? I'm not aware of any bonus points that you can claim for 6 months of work experience...

Peter
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

There are 5 bonus points for people with 6 months skilled work experience in
Australia within the 4 years before applying. But these can't be claimed if the work
experience was obtained on a bridging visa, even if it was legal to work.

Jeremy

>On 2 Aug 2002 18:28:14 GMT, ptlabs <[email protected]> wrote: pap wrote:
    > > Why I need to know this is I because I will be doing 3 months of work experience
    > > from Dec to Feb'02. I have already completed 3 months of work exp in 2001. Now,
    > > if I am on a student visa during that period then, at the time of assessment(say
    > > if my application is assessed in April 2003), I can claim bonus points for work
    > > experience. But if I am on a bridging visa from Dec to Feb'03, I can't claim
    > > those bonus points!!
    >
    >
    >Bonus points? I'm not aware of any bonus points that you can claim for 6 months of
    >work experience...
    >
    >
    >Peter
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 1:39 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jaj
There are 5 bonus points for people with 6 months skilled work experience in Australia within the 4 years before applying. But these can't be claimed if the work experience was obtained on a bridging visa, even if it was legal to work.

> Bonus points? I'm not aware of any bonus points that you can
> claim for 6 months of work experience...
Oh, the Australian work experience bonus points. Totally forgot about that, my mistake.

Just out of curiosity, does DIMIA count the Aussie work experience accumulatively? It isn't clear from the Migration Booklet if it should be one job of at least 6 months, of multiple jobs of minimum 6 months' duration put together.

Again, there is the question of whether work experience before graduation can be considered skilled, and therefore applicable to be on the SOL.

Peter

Last edited by ptlabs; Aug 3rd 2002 at 1:41 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 3:30 am
pap
Forum Regular

<<Just out of curiosity, does DIMIA count the Aussie work experience accumulatively? It isn't clear from the Migration Booklet if it should be one job of at least 6 months, of multiple jobs of minimum 6 months' duration put together. >>

You can accumulate six months of work experience in your related profession over a period of 4 years, in other words can be done on an "installment" basis as long as its within the 4 years of applying.

Also, I spoke to DIMA about whether work experience before graduation counts ! Yes, it does absolutely but only if it is in the related profession i.e the one from the SOL for which you get your skill assessment done .

Cheers
Pap
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 3:35 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by pap
Also, I spoke to DIMA about whether work experience before graduation counts ! Yes, it does absolutely but only if it is in the related profession i.e the one from the SOL for which you get your skill assessment done .
That sounds like good news.

BTW, if you're applying as via the Skilled Indendent - Onshore Overseas Student category, do have enough points to reach the passmark without the 5 bonus points for Aussie work experience?

Peter
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 3:55 am
pap
Forum Regular

Hi Peter,

I do have 115 points without the bonus points ....but just a bit scared to apply with just 115 (what if they increase the pass mark again).

So I am trying to get 120 with the Australian Work Experience Bonus points.

The most frustating thing is... my profession "Electronics Engineer"
was on the MODL last year till someone got a brain wave to chop it from the list this year...too bad !!

BTW, I am graduating with a Bachelors in Electronic Engineering from Adelaide Uni.

Cheers
Pap
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 6:20 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

> I do have 115 points without the bonus points ....but just a bit
> scared to apply with just 115 (what if they increase the pass
> mark again).
> So I am trying to get 120 with the Australian Work Experience
> Bonus points.

Fair enough. But you would be relieved to know that Skilled Independent - Onshore Overseas Student applications are handled much much quickly than other Skilled Independent categories.

> The most frustating thing is... my profession "Electronics
> Engineer" was on the MODL last year till someone got a brain
> wave to chop it from the list this year...too bad !!

MODL would never have applied to you, as your category virtually rules you out of claiming points for MODL. MODL points are usually only given if you have at least 1 year of experience in the MODL occupation, which you will not have been able to accumulate while being a fulltime student.

> BTW, I am graduating with a Bachelors in Electronic Engineering
> from Adelaide Uni.

Congrats. At least IEAust wouldn't have given you any problems with your skills assessment. You lucky devil, didn't have to write a CDR!

Cheers,
Peter
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 6:22 am
Jaj

>On 3 Aug 2002 04:28:13 GMT, pap <[email protected]> wrote: I do have 115
    >points without the bonus points ....but just a bit scared to apply with just 115
    >(what if they increase the pass mark again). So I am trying to get 120 with the
    >Australian Work Experience Bonus points.

Remember that the May 2002 pass mark increase did not apply to applications already
in the system, although there's no guarantee that the same thing would happen if the
pass mark went up again.

Also, you must apply within 6 months of getting your final exam results (and you need
a skill assessment to do this) - it is not a good idea to delay longer to try and get
5 extra points if you have the pass mark.

>
    >Also, I spoke to DIMA about whether work experience before graduation counts ! Yes,
    >it does absolutely but only if it is in the related profession i.e the one from the
    >SOL for which you get your skill assessment done .

Australian skilled work experience does *not* have to be in the nominated occupation.
It can be in any skilled occupation.

However, one of the requriements for work experience is that it should be
post-qualification. By definition, work experience before you get your degree is
unlikely to count as skilled, unless you already have another degree.

Have you thought of doing the NAATI accreditation in a community language, assuming
English is not your mother tongue? But I'm not sure if I would delay applying while
waiting to do NAATI if you already have the pass mark.

Jeremy

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 6:24 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by ptlabs
MODL would never have applied to you, as your category virtually rules you out of claiming points for MODL. MODL points are usually only given if you have at least 1 year of experience in the MODL occupation, which you will not have been able to accumulate while being a fulltime student.
What am I talking about? My earlier statement only applies to Computing professions. Anyway, it's a moot point since the MODL is rather lean these days.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.