Bridge Climb

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about
Default Bridge Climb

To my utter shame I have to confess that I did not make the climb up the harbour bridge.

Both my wife and me did the climb after our wedding in the botanical gardens, and after we had had a small do we attempted the climb.

I made it to the "Catwalk scared:" the bit after the first walkway, whilst my wife did us proud and continued up and over the top.

We have a lovely photo of her on her own looking down at the opera house.

Anyone else want to share their embarrassing moments of grand failure or am I alone?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bridge Climb

Originally posted by Gethy
To my utter shame I have to confess that I did not make the climb up the harbour bridge.

Both my wife and me did the climb after our wedding in the botanical gardens, and after we had had a small do we attempted the climb.

I made it to the "Catwalk scared:" the bit after the first walkway, whilst my wife did us proud and continued up and over the top.

Anyone else want to share their embarrassing moments of grand failure or am I alone?
Ya big Jessie!!

Seriously the Catwalk bit I found the worst:scared:

My wife was terrified when she got to the top of one of the stairs and two trains flew past a few inches from her head

The actual top of the bridge was the easiest. Worth it for the views though.

The scariest bit for me was being breathalysed at the start:scared:

Try again sometime

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:59 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

No shame there, you wouldn't get me going anywhere near a climb like that! Nor will I be going up the Rialto in Melbourne. I went up the John Hancock Tower in Boston and apparently I went a very strange colour. I certainly felt very strange!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:04 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Grayling - that bit where you climb the ladder and trains fly past your ears is the worst bit.

After you get onto the main arch its just a walk up steps.

Definitely worth having another go when you pluck up the courage.

Marko
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

BridgeClimb is expensive.

The Pylon Lookout is a lot cheaper, if not quite as high. You do get a good view of the bridgeclimbers at the same time:
http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/

Jeremy

Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

I think the sun, small amount of champagne and the fact we just got married all contributed to my decision to attempt the climb.

We do find it a bit funny now, so even a memory such as that makes us laugh. Think thats the kind of spirit we picked up from oz, never take things too serious and if you look back, look back with a smile.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I think the sun, small amount of champagne and the fact we just got married all contributed to my decision to attempt the climb.

We do find it a bit funny now, so even a memory such as that makes us laugh. Think thats the kind of spirit we picked up from oz, never take things too serious and if you look back, look back with a smile.
Did you pass the Breathalyser then Gethy?
I wouldn't have done if it had been my wedding do

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I've done the climb twice! once with friends who were visiting from UK and once with my Husband on our wedding anniversary which also was our anniversary of being in Australia for one year!
I thought it was fantastic and really enjoyed it, well worth it, but then I've jumped out of a plane so nothing fazes me!!

Mandy
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

TBH i don't remember the breath test

We only had a couple of glass'es to celibrate, ment to take a sip but i down'd em in one

I do remember the test stairs that you climb and thats when my mind started thinking :scared:
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:10 pm

but then I've jumped out of a plane so nothing fazes me!!
Anyone got any suggestions for something for Mandy to do in Oz that might faze her ?
Know any particularly vicious koalas or anything like that ?

Marko
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by phyonics
Anyone got any suggestions for something for Mandy to do in Oz that might faze her ?
Know any particularly vicious koalas or anything like that ?

Marko
Marko
ALL koalas are vicious :scared:

Apart from those in 'petting'zoos.
Wild ones will try to rip your face off

Could try a forest top walk or something.
What was it that girl was doing who was badly injured near Cape Tribulation last week?

Hot Air ballooning would be a 'no go' for me:scared:
My son recently did one over Uluru though and it was spectacular.

Good luck

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

TBH i don't remember the breath test

We only had a couple of glass'es to celibrate, ment to take a sip but i down'd em in one

I do remember the test stairs that you climb and thats when my mind started thinking :scared:

The test stairs !!!! You pussy !!! Its a ladder against a wall !!

I thought you Yorkshiremen were supposed to be made of stronger stuff than that
Old Jun 7th 2004, 2:33 pm

My only problem with ballooning is how close you could get to electriticy pylons.

So I guess that'd make the outback perfect
Old Jun 7th 2004, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

We (my husband and I) have just one day in Sydney when we validate our visas in early December.

If you had just one day to see Sydney what sights/places to see would you prioritise?

Is the Bridge Climb too large a chunk out of the day, or well worth it?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 6:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by Olive101
We (my husband and I) have just one day in Sydney when we validate our visas in early December.

If you had just one day to see Sydney what sights/places to see would you prioritise?

Is the Bridge Climb too large a chunk out of the day, or well worth it?
December will be the busy season. We had to book the bridge climb a while in advance in October.
If you want to do it it may take several hours. You may have to queue and will have to go through all the safety 'rigmarole' beforehand.
It will use up the best part of a day if you have to wait.Best booked well before you go.

Not cheap either.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.