Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bride to be deported from UK?

Bride to be deported from UK?

Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bride to be deported from UK?

Don't think anyone has already posted this one? From today's Brisbane Courier-Mail........

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...5E3102,00.html
Old Jul 27th 2003, 9:37 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bride to be deported from UK?

Originally posted by Pollyana
Don't think anyone has already posted this one? From today's Brisbane Courier-Mail........

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...5E3102,00.html
Damn right as well. Perhaps this will prove to PB, wilf and the like that we believe that the system should work the same for everyone. People shout 'racist' when we say that we don't want people coming in the back door. I don't know how many times, in previous posts, I've said 'it has nothing to do with race' and this story proves my point. This woman has left the UK and now, if she wants to return, she should do it properly.
"I admit to it every single day but where I'm in the right is that I've never claimed benefits from this country, I've always worked and paid taxes even when I was here illegally," Mrs Lee said.
So she should pay taxes. She sounds like she's trying to convince us that she has done us a favour even though she knows that she has done it illegally. I do admire her for paying taxes rather than the back door illegals who don't, but she should have applied from Oz and done things properly. One rule for all. If she loves him as much as she says she does, she would have waited and done things properly.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Steve. There are many ways she could have done this legally so deportation seems reasonable. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is not OK...

We got married before my working holiday visa ran out and then registered the marriage with the Home Office to change my visa status. No fuss at all. Straightforward interview - easy to pass if you're genuine. Not like the grilling I've heard you get in the US.

Even if they hadn't decided to marry before her visa ran out she could still have come back into the UK legally on a tourist or fiance visa, married then changed status. The government rules are not completely heartless.

Presumably she had overstayed her working holiday visa so was blacklisted and unable to obtain tourist or fiance visas to return to the UK. The article conveniently avoids mentioning that! Not the full picture in a newspaper article - how surprising!