Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying - uk to australia ? Advice please.

Bricklaying - uk to australia ? Advice please.

Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Littlemissdonx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bricklaying - uk to australia ? Advice please.

Hi, I am new to this so hope i am going about writing this in the right way and in the right place?! Any help on this would be much apprciated, so thanks in advance-

Me and my boyfriend are going over to Australia on a working holiday visa. We will be staying in Perth. My boyfriend is a bricklayer with a city and guilds qualification and lots of experience. He wants to work as a bricklayer while we are there. Has anyone else done this?

The main question I have is that is his uk qualifiation recognised over there or will he need to do any tests to prove his skills before he can work? I find it all quite confusing and cant find a definate answer to this?! I know he will need an ABN and a Blue/white card for health and safety, does he just need his uk qualification to apply for this? Or is it a longer process than that?

Any insight would be greatly apprciated, thanks very much.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Nickolov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklaying - uk to australia ? Advice please.

If he is to be self employed he will have to get a license, in Queensland it is with the BSA.not sure about Perth
To get the licence you have to show Qualifications and have them recognized, do a management course and have a financial statement to contract with the public,all very expensive and long winded

If you are only on a working holiday it would probably work out better to get a job with a Building company and work under there license.
Landscape companies also are a good source of employment and will employ direct

You will have to get a white/blue safety card to work on any site and provide PPE

Good luck
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

You only need a license if you are going to work for yourself directly for clients.

Working for a company all you need to be is good enough plus the blue card. The blue card is a 4 hour course which you cant fail.

Not too different from the UK, just get a start with someone, work harder than anyone else and keep your job.

Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

No licence required in perth !!!!!!!
blue card online or as the other person said 4 hr course easy!!!!
just watch out for the flies !! you will have a brick in one hand and a trowel in the other, and flies in your eyes and up your nose.
just be flexible as its different over here and will take some time to get used to it.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

you dont need anything in perth except the blue card. when you get here have a drive around the new suburbs and just ask the tradies if they have any work.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perth tiger
you dont need anything in perth except the blue card. when you get here have a drive around the new suburbs and just ask the tradies if they have any work.
Blue card is old school, is now White card
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
only in some states
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
your fine on site with a blue card. the only ones iv seen with white are supervisors.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perth tiger
your fine on site with a blue card. the only ones iv seen with white are supervisors.
Can't get a blue card in Pilbara now, is all white card.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

White card is a nationally recognised construction industry card. It is replacing all the blue/green and whatever other coloured cards there are in Australia.

Anyone with a blue card will find that when they come to renew it they will be asked to do the white card instead. The white card doesn't expire.

http://bluecardwa.com.au/

It's really easy to get...it must be I have one
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Littlemissdonx
Hi, I am new to this so hope i am going about writing this in the right way and in the right place?! Any help on this would be much apprciated, so thanks in advance-

Me and my boyfriend are going over to Australia on a working holiday visa. We will be staying in Perth. My boyfriend is a bricklayer with a city and guilds qualification and lots of experience. He wants to work as a bricklayer while we are there. Has anyone else done this?

The main question I have is that is his uk qualifiation recognised over there or will he need to do any tests to prove his skills before he can work? I find it all quite confusing and cant find a definate answer to this?! I know he will need an ABN and a Blue/white card for health and safety, does he just need his uk qualification to apply for this? Or is it a longer process than that?

Any insight would be greatly apprciated, thanks very much.
Couple of hubby's friends came over on a year working visa, they got the construction card (you can do it online or take a course, very easy) no having to prove skills in Bricklaying just go to the sights, ask around or apply for jobs you see in papers etc, they had a great time travelling around, working and seeing some of WA

Have fun
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
White card is a nationally recognised construction industry card. It is replacing all the blue/green and whatever other coloured cards there are in Australia.

Anyone with a blue card will find that when they come to renew it they will be asked to do the white card instead. The white card doesn't expire.

http://bluecardwa.com.au/

It's really easy to get...it must be I have one
PMSL, when we first arrived we had to apply for a white card. We paid about a hundred bucks each for two white cards then within three months we were informed that white cards were no longer valid.
We had to reapply for a blue card, we sat again for another 4 hours in a stuffy little classroom paid out another $200 bucks for a shitty piece of blue paper that looked like a pre-schooler had run it through a laminator. It was all good though as the "all new blue cards" didn't expire so we'd have them for life.
NOW YOUR TELLING ME I NEED A WHITE CARD AGAIN!!!! :curse:
You couldn't make this shit up. Good job I kept the old white ones
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
PMSL, when we first arrived we had to apply for a white card. We paid about a hundred bucks each for two white cards then within three months we were informed that white cards were no longer valid.
We had to reapply for a blue card, we sat again for another 4 hours in a stuffy little classroom paid out another $200 bucks for a shitty piece of blue paper that looked like a pre-schooler had run it through a laminator. It was all good though as the "all new blue cards" didn't expire so we'd have them for life.
NOW YOUR TELLING ME I NEED A WHITE CARD AGAIN!!!! :curse:
You couldn't make this shit up. Good job I kept the old white ones
Good old Queensland If your blue card doesn't expire, maybe you don't need to do it again? I'll see what I can find out, we have projects over there too. In fact, the QLD business unit is the biggest one for us.

(here's the site for the construction industry cards in QLD anyway) http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace...ning/index.htm

I was lucky, when I took my test it was just as the white cards were being introduced. 2 months earlier and I would have had to do the green card, which would only have been valid for 3 years.

I really don't want to sit through that course again boring is an understatement!!

Last edited by Wendy; Oct 24th 2010 at 8:00 am.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Littlemissdonx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for all your replys, you have put our minds at rest :-) I can't wait to be over there!!

Any other advice or info is always appreciated, thanks again.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Mark King is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Bricklaying - uk to australia ? Advice please.

If you already have a Queensland or WA Blue Card already then you do not need to sit the course again. According to WorkSafe WA, they will continue to accept the Blue Card as meeting the requirement and they have stated that the cards no longer expire. See:

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/WorkSa...n_training.pdf

Some companies may still require you to get a white card even though you have a blue card and they are within their rights because WorkSafe only mandate the minimum requirements. But if asked, it is the construction company and not the training company or WorkSafe that is requiring this.

If you have gotten your card through us (AVELING), we will also replace your blue card for a white card for a small fee.

Hope this helps given the comments in the middle about blue cards not being accepted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.