Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying in NZ

Bricklaying in NZ

Old Jan 5th 2004, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

glennhudsonuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BRICKLAYING IN NZ

I am 35 years old and am looking to work abroad for a year, preferably in New Zealand or Canada. What research I have done seems to be geared up to 18-30 year olds for a working holiday. Does anyone have any information on how and whether I can get a visa and where to start?

Last edited by glennhudsonuk; Jan 5th 2004 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:57 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRICKLAYING IN NZ

Originally posted by glennhudsonuk
I am 35 years old and am looking to work abroad for a year, preferably in New Zealand or Canada. What research I have done seems to be geared up to 18-30 year olds for a working holiday. Does anyone have any information on how and whether I can get a visa and where to start?
1. You can't get a work visa without a job offer plus quite a few hoops to jump. Better off getting a job in NZ.

2. Technically, that's a bit illegal. Way to do it is come to NZ as a genuine tourist on a 6 month tourist visa granted automatically to UK citizens on arrival, if anyone asks you are a tourist 100% and you must have a return ticket and credit cards.

3. Look for a job. In Auckland or any number of other cities you (bricklayer - I assume you are a bit handy in general home construction too) will get a job offer on day 1 - no trouble. Then you need to get a work permit - over the counter more or less at the NZIS offices.

4. Check out www.immigration.govt.nz (work).