Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying Jobs in Melbourne

Bricklaying Jobs in Melbourne

Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:58 am
Struthers

sstruthers30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklaying Jobs in Melbourne

My partner is a bricklayer. We have been in Melbourne for 3 months and he hasn't been able to find any work. There seems to be about 2 jobs in the paper a week and more often than not they are for apprenticships. He has tried agencies, visiting sites and just ringing other bricklayers from the Yellow Pages. I was wondering whether anyone else was having the same problem? Or is it just us.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying Jobs in Melbourne

Originally Posted by sstruthers30
My partner is a bricklayer. We have been in Melbourne for 3 months and he hasn't been able to find any work. There seems to be about 2 jobs in the paper a week and more often than not they are for apprenticships. He has tried agencies, visiting sites and just ringing other bricklayers from the Yellow Pages. I was wondering whether anyone else was having the same problem? Or is it just us.

We have been in Melbourne since the end of august and agree about the work advertising.

When you look in the papers it seems to be the same jobs every week. Have you tried getting The Age at the weekend, thats supposed to be the best one for jobs.

Good luck
Old Oct 26th 2005, 12:24 pm
Struthers

We look on mycareer.com.au (which is the Age site) and careerone.com.au (which is the Herald Sun site) everyday.

It seems a bit worrying when they are advertising in the UK for tradesmen and I don't think the new workplace regulations are going to help. Maybe it is just Melbourne as there seems to be a lot of work in Perth/Brisbane.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sstruthers30
hi guys, just wondering what part of melbourne your at?

hubbie is also a brickie, we have been here 6 months now, we just sat down with the yellow pages and phoned, cost a bloody fortune, but it worked,

louise
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carloubateman
hi guys, just wondering what part of melbourne your at?

hubbie is also a brickie, we have been here 6 months now, we just sat down with the yellow pages and phoned, cost a bloody fortune, but it worked,

louise
i found out most of the jobs in the newspaper's were gone by 6;30, just got to go out to sites and ask directly. are you working.

john
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:07 am
Struthers

We are currently living in the city. My partner has been doing some labouring work but no luck on the bricklaying front. He has tried city sites but they didn't have any work - it looks like it is back to the yellow pages. He had previously worked in Sydney from 98-01 and there was a lot of city work we thought it would be the same in melbourne especially with the Commonwealth Games.

We would be interested to know if there is much work in suburbs on the new housing estates out west and south east. The houses are so cheap and the brickwork looks quite rough - it would be good to get a realistic idea of wages.

Thanks for your replies!!