Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying in Brisbane vs Bricklaying in Perth

Wikiposts

Bricklaying in Brisbane vs Bricklaying in Perth

Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying in Brisbane vs Bricklaying in Perth

Originally Posted by ohippy
Labouring is a good way to go as most of them will start to lay. A lot of labourers are on $220 a day so expected to do a bit of laying for that money. But if you want to be taught on the job it's slightly different as a lot of brickies won't teach as it loses them money. But OH says he would expect you to get there half an hour early, get everything set up and get ahead of yourself, have a set of tools and, in a good week, he'd train. There again, if you are a really good and fast labourer he'd have no problems training as you'd be more useful to him then.
Cheers for the info, is that just info or the possibility of your OH maybe needing a labourer in the next few months? If so I'd be grateful if you could pm me some contact details.

I haven't done it before but I can put my hand to most things and I'm a hard worker and any employers I've had will vouch for that.

Labouring sounds the best way for me to get in to it then anyway, thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:23 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Are there no brickies in Brissy?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brickies wife
Please help. We had almost definitely made up our minds that we would settle in Brisbane, but yet again we are swaying slightly towards Perth. Please can you Builders out there in Brisbane and Perth please tell me what you life is like in Perth or Brisbane. Good and Bad.

Tina
http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/st...7-3102,00.html

BRICKLAYERS are making up to $1200 a day as Queensland's tradesmen and women rapidly overtake professionals in earning power.

Young chippies, brickies, plumbers and electricians are earning big money while their peers who have become lawyers, accountants and other white-collar professionals are struggling to make ends meet.

As university graduates struggle with low wages and HECS debts, tradesmen and women are debt-free and entering the property market.

Queensland Master Builders Association executive director Graham Cuthbert said it was not unusual for bricklayers to make $1200 a day in parts of north Queensland.

"They are making $4.50 a block and that translates to around $1200 a day. There is significant money to be made," he said.

Mr Cuthbert said carpenters, plasterers and bricklayers in Brisbane routinely made $2000 a week on contract work.

"This isn't a passing phase – these conditions are here to stay. These trades are no longer just a job, they're a career," he said.

Most trades take four years to qualify, but the training is practically free for apprentices, who get paid to learn.

A law student can expect to finish college with a HECS debt of $33,000 and an arts student $15,000.

Master Plumbers Association of Queensland executive director Adrian Hart said that in a booming economy plumbers were in demand and making really good wages.

Sunshine Coast plumber Jared May, 22, has been fully qualified for three years after taking up an apprenticeship when he was 15. He now makes about $1500 a week.

"I just bought a house 12 months ago for $330,000 and I own my own ute. I don't really have any financial worries," he said.

Carpenter David Hamill, 21, gets about $900 after tax and other deductions every week: "A lot of my mates are at uni and they are struggling. They don't stop me when I buy a round of drinks, put it that way."

In contrast, accountant Katherine Taylor, 24, who has been working for almost a year since leaving university, is on a salary of $38,000 a year.

She expects her wage to increase as she becomes more experienced.

President of Queensland Young Lawyers Stephen Mackie said: "Anyone who thinks they're going to walk out of university on to the set of Ally McBeal will get a rude shock."

Mr Mackie said that when he left university, "the minimum wage for first-year clerks was about $26,000, increasing to about $28,000 in the second year. To add insult to injury my HECS debt was $25,000".

WW
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:22 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/st...7-3102,00.html

BRICKLAYERS are making up to $1200 a day as Queensland's tradesmen and women rapidly overtake professionals in earning power.

Young chippies, brickies, plumbers and electricians are earning big money while their peers who have become lawyers, accountants and other white-collar professionals are struggling to make ends meet.

As university graduates struggle with low wages and HECS debts, tradesmen and women are debt-free and entering the property market.

Queensland Master Builders Association executive director Graham Cuthbert said it was not unusual for bricklayers to make $1200 a day in parts of north Queensland.

"They are making $4.50 a block and that translates to around $1200 a day. There is significant money to be made," he said.

Mr Cuthbert said carpenters, plasterers and bricklayers in Brisbane routinely made $2000 a week on contract work.

"This isn't a passing phase – these conditions are here to stay. These trades are no longer just a job, they're a career," he said.

Most trades take four years to qualify, but the training is practically free for apprentices, who get paid to learn.

A law student can expect to finish college with a HECS debt of $33,000 and an arts student $15,000.

Master Plumbers Association of Queensland executive director Adrian Hart said that in a booming economy plumbers were in demand and making really good wages.

Sunshine Coast plumber Jared May, 22, has been fully qualified for three years after taking up an apprenticeship when he was 15. He now makes about $1500 a week.

"I just bought a house 12 months ago for $330,000 and I own my own ute. I don't really have any financial worries," he said.

Carpenter David Hamill, 21, gets about $900 after tax and other deductions every week: "A lot of my mates are at uni and they are struggling. They don't stop me when I buy a round of drinks, put it that way."

In contrast, accountant Katherine Taylor, 24, who has been working for almost a year since leaving university, is on a salary of $38,000 a year.

She expects her wage to increase as she becomes more experienced.

President of Queensland Young Lawyers Stephen Mackie said: "Anyone who thinks they're going to walk out of university on to the set of Ally McBeal will get a rude shock."

Mr Mackie said that when he left university, "the minimum wage for first-year clerks was about $26,000, increasing to about $28,000 in the second year. To add insult to injury my HECS debt was $25,000".

WW
Well all I can say mate is some of us "accountants" are on that per hour not per day
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

If that's true - why are so many brickies heading West from the East Coast !! If I was earning $4.50 a brick I wouldn't travel that far to earn only $1.10 a brick. Would be interesting to see how many brickies do get that or are they all sunning themselves in their mansions on the seafront !
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:36 pm

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to doubt if there are any brickies in Brisbane at all - if there is, can anyone verify this news report.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
If that's true - why are so many brickies heading West from the East Coast !! If I was earning $4.50 a brick I wouldn't travel that far to earn only $1.10 a brick. Would be interesting to see how many brickies do get that or are they all sunning themselves in their mansions on the seafront !

A cyclone temporarily pushed the rates up in one small area up north, that was translated into brickies earn $6000 a week on a 2 page spread in sundays paper It was never $4.50 a brick but they did claim $4.50 a block our brickie sent crews up there and the most they got was $2.50 a block, thats as a contractor with all overheads.

You can search on jobs in far north qld, there will be loads of them at this time of year always is, high 30's and 96% humidity, plus weeks with tools down due to the wet season and guess why

I guess its like the stories that brickies in perth are earning $1000 a day All good fun but if you want the real rates cresta posted a link to tradies wages in a recent thread.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 19th 2006 at 9:05 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

OZSpur will become famous soon enoughOZSpur will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I'm beginning to doubt if there are any brickies in Brisbane at all - if there is, can anyone verify this news report.
Absolute bollox
If only it were true
Top money you can hope for here in Brisbane is $35 an hour and expect to have some fuhrer type fella cracking the whip behind you.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by OZSpur
Absolute bollox
If only it were true
Top money you can hope for here in Brisbane is $35 an hour and expect to have some fuhrer type fella cracking the whip behind you.
Thanks for the info - same as here in Vic then. Isn't it bloody annoying when you read reports like that? My hubby is on $30 per hour, travels two hours a day (own time), works like a dog and gets two short breaks. Rubbish isn't it?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

OZSpur will become famous soon enoughOZSpur will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Thanks for the info - same as here in Vic then. Isn't it bloody annoying when you read reports like that? My hubby is on $30 per hour, travels two hours a day (own time), works like a dog and gets two short breaks. Rubbish isn't it?
two breaks? the jammy git!!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:07 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

for god sake let me at it,,i wont it so bad its killing me,,,let me at them bricks..i just want to be there now,,,pool the first week,boat the second ,third i could retire and spend all my time on the boat...

please ,please,oz gov,,,let me in.....
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Neil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wafc
I'm hoping ot be in Perth in Dec/Jan, I'm in I.T. at the minute but I would really like to get in to bricklaying, god only knows how I'm going to go about it though as I can't really afford to get an apprenticeship as we'll need some decent money coming in from the start as we'll be first time buyers out there.

Any ideas on good ways of getting in to bricklaying I'd be grateful to hear them?

I was thinking of maybe applying for a labourers job to start with and working my way on from there.
Once you get over there contact a TAFE college, same as our technical colleges. There's a few round Perth. I'm teaching bricklaying in UK and want to do same in Perth; in UK I'd recommend a night school or day release with an employer, so you can keep the money rolling in. It takes a lot of sweat to becoming a bricky. Perhaps you can do a taster course first to see if you like it; perhaps plumbing/plastering/joinery etc is more for you. Best to find out first.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:00 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil Jackson
Once you get over there contact a TAFE college, same as our technical colleges. There's a few round Perth. I'm teaching bricklaying in UK and want to do same in Perth; in UK I'd recommend a night school or day release with an employer, so you can keep the money rolling in. It takes a lot of sweat to becoming a bricky. Perhaps you can do a taster course first to see if you like it; perhaps plumbing/plastering/joinery etc is more for you. Best to find out first.
this might sound awful ,but i would of thought it would be best to learn bricklaying here first,then go out.
its not as easy as it looks,i wouldn't of thought unless you are lucky ,someone out in oz is going to have time to teach you on site.

also unless you have got a few quid ,you will need to have some sort of income..

i am sorry to say but its not going to be easy,what ever you do...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by STEVE&TERRI
Hi Guys
my husband is also a bricklayer here in Perth,the wages here are between $280-350 a day,loads of work here too. Always another deal around the corner ,people say that you can earn alot more but we have found that this wage is about the same all around the Perth area.He is currently working in Ellenbrook on $1.10 a brick.which he has found the best deal so far.Hope this helps.Terri
never ceases to amaze me; one family cannot make ends meet on brickie money, others doing fine.

You really have to see for yourself!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Neil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to allNeil Jackson is a name known to all
Smile Re: Bricklaying in Brisbane vs Bricklaying in Perth

Originally Posted by aston man
this might sound awful ,but i would of thought it would be best to learn bricklaying here first,then go out.
its not as easy as it looks,i wouldn't of thought unless you are lucky ,someone out in oz is going to have time to teach you on site.

also unless you have got a few quid ,you will need to have some sort of income..

i am sorry to say but its not going to be easy,what ever you do...
But where would you rather learn? Miserable UK or Oz? You could do IT work during the week rather then labouring. I know where I'd rather be, and it isn't breaking the ice on an oil drum of water at 7.30AM on a February morning.
The choice is yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.