Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying in Australia ????? Help and advice

Bricklaying in Australia ????? Help and advice

Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Australia_max is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklaying in Australia ????? Help and advice

Hello I'm an Australia citizen(passport holder) and British passport holder (dual nationality) I'm going to be joining the British army as an royal engineer builder/bricklayer and looking at finding out what I will need as a basic requirement to bricklay back home in oz as a basic requirement should I choose to move back on departure of the army after 10 years or so.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 21st 2016 at 8:46 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying in Australia ????? Help and advice

Originally Posted by Australia_max
Hello I'm an Australia citizen(passport holder) and British passport holder (dual nationality) I'm going to be joining the British army as an royal engineer builder/bricklayer and looking at finding out what I will need as a basic requirement to bricklay back home in oz as a basic requirement should I choose to move back on departure of the army after 10 years or so.

Could I ask why bricklaying? we just know of lots of bricklayers both here in the UK and Australia all complain about the weather either way to hot or to cold and most at a certain age complain about their backs, hands etc after years of physical hard work plus it is (like a lot of trades) at times an unpredictable line of work, I only asked in the first place as if I were joining any of the forces (my DH was an electrician in the Royal Navy many many moons ago but was offered loads of courses to progress in) I would try and get as "high up" as I could while training was being offered and paid for then when you come to leave the forces you have a lot more options. Good luck anyway with what you decide.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Australia_max is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny enough you have said 'why bricklaying' I've had the conversation with dad about what's going to be best and he asked the same thing. I guess bricklaying was the first thing that came to mind as something that looks like a good skill to learn. However as he's a director of building surveying company; pushed me into choosing the 'surveying engineer' option as you gain a level 5 higher diploma which I could use towards university should I choose to pursue that route after leaving. Your daughter if you don't mind me asking did she pursue an electrical career after she left? I could imagine every electrical company wanting to snatch up an ex forces tradie? Electrician was going to be my second choice along with plumbing as third
Old Dec 27th 2016, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_max
Funny enough you have said 'why bricklaying' I've had the conversation with dad about what's going to be best and he asked the same thing. I guess bricklaying was the first thing that came to mind as something that looks like a good skill to learn. However as he's a director of building surveying company; pushed me into choosing the 'surveying engineer' option as you gain a level 5 higher diploma which I could use towards university should I choose to pursue that route after leaving. Your daughter if you don't mind me asking did she pursue an electrical career after she left? I could imagine every electrical company wanting to snatch up an ex forces tradie? Electrician was going to be my second choice along with plumbing as third
Hi, it was my Husband.....he did not he decided to leave the Navy when his "time was up"....I thought at the time he might of been a bit hasty and nowadays he might say now and again....I should of "stayed in" and entered the Electrical Engineering course I was offered....but in all honesty my husband through hard work has "done" well since he left, he returned to being an Electrician for his fathers firm, then went into Telecommunications then health & safety (which has been his career for many years now) I can see his view it might of been easier if he had stayed in but we will never know....you cannot go back. Just while you have a good chance of improving your career I would grab any course offered and also think of what you would like to "do" for the rest of your life .......work wise. Good luck with everything, all the best for the New Year.