Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklayer costs

Wikiposts

Bricklayer costs

Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:05 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer costs

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
trust me and believe astonman, those programs are crap, I've seen plenty of ones about spain, and we lived there for 5 yrs. Not even half true
Friends of mine were one one of those shows about people moving to costa blanca. don't know if anyone saw it, about 18 months ago or 2yrs ago. They opened up a lingerie shop in javea. Shes a big blonde girl and hes fairly tall and bald.
Right bunch or crap. They've been struggling ever since arriving, only to create bigger debts and higher CC bills to try and live.
BBC should put some programs on about failures in a foreign country so people can see the reality.
Keep both feet on the ground and stay real.
Sorry to hijak this thread, back to the brickies now
i just wanted to add,when i was starting on my venture here i would not have a bad word said about australia and was a 100% positive about my move.
any brickies reading this that are coming over here,take no notice of me go for it....

i am sure you will be fine..

good luck..

asst...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aston man
i just wanted to add,when i was starting on my venture here i would not have a bad word said about australia and was a 100% positive about my move.
any brickies reading this that are coming over here,take no notice of me go for it....

good luck..

asst...
Hey Ast,
Keep the advice coming,much appreciated,I'm like you simple life and much better for our kids no one said is was going to be easy.
Cheers,

Fellow Brummie Brikie
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:53 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Blooming hell, does that include the cost of the brick?
No
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:56 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
a dollar a brick, f**k me, think i'm in the wrong trade
Thats standard in Oz
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:04 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

chaps do you know something...

brickies get a hard time here ....a dollar a brick...why not...do you realise thats with all the window frames ,door frames,lintels,trays..

you must remember your not just paying for the brick being laid,your paying for all his experience,a labourer,,plant....
and a product that is going to last 50,60,7o,100 years..

people think nothing of paying 5000 for a tv that may last 5 years tops...

i get sick of people thinking that brickies earn fortunes here,its not true..a lot of them struggle on the wages here...

sorry,i just want brickies who are heading over to perth to know the truth,,,
I have to agree with almost all of this, makes a first hey Ast, as you usually talk bollocks You are also forgetting that these guys have to work outside in the intense heat, covered in flies, covered in sunblock, sweating etc. its bloody hard work thats for sure. I am not a brickie, but do work outdoors quite a lot. Give me an indoor job, with aircon anyday!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

good luck..

asst...
Must admit I agree with you...

As a aircon installer, we get about $300 per install, contract rates..

For what we do, what we cart, licensing, parts , tools, diesel, depreciation, working outside... distances etc... all for what equates to 125 quid !!!

However, we fit lots of them... so thats where the bonus is !! but its frigging hard work... summer, possibly 100 hour weeks are average !
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:24 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I too have some brickie questions as I'm thinking about building but after seeing the standard of builds here I'm going to do it myself and subcontract the various bits out. So with that in mind...

How much is a brick on average, both the type you render over and the type good enough to leave on show. Is is possible to get someone to quote you for all the brickwork, ie for the whole job or do you have to do it by the hour or brick or per meter etc.

If the bricks are to be rendered over does this mean the bricks are cemented together in a less than perfect way as you wont see the pointing?

Any brickies out there want to quote me for 1m wide by 2750mm high in a decent left showing type brick so I can try and guestimate the cost of the brickwork?

Thanks...
Bricks cost approx $200 plus gst
sand and cement $ 50 plus gst
$250 plus 25 gst
Labour cash $ 300
This is a quote on face work outside and blocks inside which measure 300x162 .
plastering inside will cost not much more than $100 including materials if done by me but will cost more if getting a separate trades man in
so all up itll cost you $650 -$ 700
Bearing in mind its a small job and a look in the local paper would be the way to go and you need some one who can plaster as well as lay bricks .For such a small job it would be cost effective to do face work on the outside and blockwork on the in as doing block out and block in would almost cost the same by the time you add render on top for the outside .
Obviously this type of price wouldnt include concrete footings but add another $250 for digging and materials and youll be right .Most tradesmen arnt interested in digging.
Iused to do a lot of small work at one time but unfortunately even though there seems to be amarket there for it ,you can never get enough of it to keep going and most evenings are spent pricing and really i found it not cost effective time wise and decided to move into housing etc .
PS you will have to organise the materials your self as in go and get them .
If i was you and your not too fussy about what brick you use for face ,i would take a drive around and see if there is any building going around and if you see a job thats finished with bricks left over it would be a good idea to ring the builder and ask him/her whats going to happen to them ,as most will just dump them as it costs more to pick them up and load em and take them to another job etc ,so the builder may give you them for nothing or certainly cheaper .

Last edited by king kong; Oct 25th 2007 at 9:37 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:32 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Bricks cost approx $200 plus gst
sand and cement $ 50 plus gst
$250 plus 25 gst
Labour cash $ 300
This is a quote on face work outside and blocks inside which measure 300x162 .
plastering inside will cost not much more than $100 including materials if done by me but will cost more if getting a separate trades man in
so all up itll cost you $650 -$ 700
Bearing in mind its a small job and a look in the local paper would be the way to go and you need some one who can plaster as well as lay bricks .For such a small job it would be cost effective to do face work on the outside and blockwork on the in as doing block out and block in would almost cost the same by the time you add render on top for the outside .
Obviously this type of price wouldnt include concrete footings but add another $250 for digging and materials and youll be right .Most tradesmen arnt interested in digging.
Iused to do a lot of small work at one time but unfortunately even though there seems to be amarket there for it ,you can never get enough of it to keep going and most evenings are spent pricing and really i found it not cost effective time wise and decided to move into housing etc .
PS you will have to organise the materials your self as in go and get them .
If i was you and your not too fussy about what brick you use for face ,i would take a drive around and see if there is any building going around and if you see a job thats finished with bricks left over it would be a good idea to ring the builder and ask him/her whats going to happen to them ,as most will just dump them as it costs more to pick them up and load em and take them to another job etc ,so the builder may give you them for nothing or certainly cheaper .
Thanks king kong very helpfull, I can have a go at pricing it all up now.