Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brickies in queensland

brickies in queensland

Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice
Default brickies in queensland

having spoken to a few pommie brickies recently we all agree that the brickies who have work are worried about hanging on to there jobs and those of us laid off at xmas have no idea what is going to happen about getting more work. if your a brickie wanting to come to queensland and the brisbane area please don't at the moment. wait untill the world recession is over then there will be loads of work. i know you will think that your the greatest trowel and will easy get work but there are great trowels here with no work, so be warned. also it is our opinion ( pommie brickies i know and me) that the aussies are closing ranks and if you ring for work and you have a pommie accent you've got no chance, just an opinion. but we are brickies and we are here, so believe what you want, but thats how we see it at present. so will people stop telling brickies in england that there is loads of work in brisbane and queensland, please. your not doing them any favours and you are making it thougher for us. sorry to ruin your dreams for now. steve.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all
Default Re: brickies in queensland

Originally Posted by stevenick
having spoken to a few pommie brickies recently we all agree that the brickies who have work are worried about hanging on to there jobs and those of us laid off at xmas have no idea what is going to happen about getting more work. if your a brickie wanting to come to queensland and the brisbane area please don't at the moment. wait untill the world recession is over then there will be loads of work. i know you will think that your the greatest trowel and will easy get work but there are great trowels here with no work, so be warned. also it is our opinion ( pommie brickies i know and me) that the aussies are closing ranks and if you ring for work and you have a pommie accent you've got no chance, just an opinion. but we are brickies and we are here, so believe what you want, but thats how we see it at present. so will people stop telling brickies in england that there is loads of work in brisbane and queensland, please. your not doing them any favours and you are making it thougher for us. sorry to ruin your dreams for now. steve.
Can i just say, that have been looking on aussie website and there are brickie jobs advertised for QLD. Why is this then if there no work?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by sutty77
Can i just say, that have been looking on aussie website and there are brickie jobs advertised for QLD. Why is this then if there no work?
rang everyone and they say just checking whos available and will get back to me. have you rang any? you must remember also that there are loads of brickies ringing trying to get the work as well. like i'm saying we are here , you can believe what you like thats your right. also generally aussies will employ other aussies first, just an opinion, but shared by most pom brickies and there plenty of aussie brickies looking for work. sorry if you don't like the truth but its about time a brickie told it. things are not good.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sutty77
Many agencies advertise jobs just to get people on their books. You only have to read the threads on here to see that there are actually far less jobs than there used to be.
A agency is out to sign people up; people on here are posting from bitter experience.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:03 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

I have been saying exactly the same thing. OH is a plumber, we have been here 5months and he still has no work.
It is not that we are not trying, we have literally applied for hundreds. There are jobs on the internet but you don't hear anything back, or call and they don't get back to you. Also i think the jobs are already gone before they hit the press. Just like in England everyone has contacts that will fill the job but they still need to go through the procedure of advertising it first...i just wish that we were back in the UK where OH's contacts are, it may be slow over there but at leat he would have somethng
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by betsyboob
I have been saying exactly the same thing. OH is a plumber, we have been here 5months and he still has no work.
It is not that we are not trying, we have literally applied for hundreds. There are jobs on the internet but you don't hear anything back, or call and they don't get back to you. Also i think the jobs are already gone before they hit the press. Just like in England everyone has contacts that will fill the job but they still need to go through the procedure of advertising it first...i just wish that we were back in the UK where OH's contacts are, it may be slow over there but at leat he would have somethng
sorry to here your situation. i have generally worked since i have been here but job came to an end at xmas and the next job was cancelled, so laid off at the worse time. i just feel that people should know the truth so that they can make decisions based on that. the other problem is finding other work, you need licences and training for every thing here. a job in the paper for traffic controllers ( these are basically lolly pop people for those not having been to australia) said you need to do a traffic control coarse and have experience! driving jobs you need to do all kinds of coarses to get one, so people coming here and thinking i'll doing anything will find they can't unless they do some kind of coarse to get some piece of paper to show you can do that job. the coarse will most probably take time and cost a few hundred bucks. its not lazyness that some people don't have work, this is not england you can't just rock up somewhere and start work, you will have to do some training or coarse. people should understand that and be prepared.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:45 pm

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

I know that when we were planning our move BE was our main research tool, so yes it is EXTREMELY important that people tell it as it is. I wouldn't like to think of others being in the position we are in, we may have to go home in 2months when our lease is up
It gets a bit annoying when you get stick on here for telling the truth ....especially from some people that aren't even here yet!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:58 pm

sorry to here your situation. i have generally worked since i have been here but job came to an end at xmas and the next job was cancelled, so laid off at the worse time. i just feel that people should know the truth so that they can make decisions based on that. the other problem is finding other work, you need licences and training for every thing here. a job in the paper for traffic controllers ( these are basically lolly pop people for those not having been to australia) said you need to do a traffic control coarse and have experience! driving jobs you need to do all kinds of coarses to get one, so people coming here and thinking i'll doing anything will find they can't unless they do some kind of coarse to get some piece of paper to show you can do that job. the coarse will most probably take time and cost a few hundred bucks. its not lazyness that some people don't have work, this is not england you can't just rock up somewhere and start work, you will have to do some training or coarse. people should understand that and be prepared.

Barista licence (yes coffee!)
Retail qualification
Housekeeper Cadetship (yes housemaid course!)
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:45 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is by the time you finally admit that you need to do something else your usually to skint to be able to afford the course fee.:curse: