Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brickie going to central coast ?????

brickie going to central coast ?????

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

shazlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy brickie going to central coast ?????

hello, you all sound really friendly on here. found you yesterday. i must say you have scared my with your messages about brickies and the central coast area. we have family in northern beaches, sydney and central coast and as long as we are not too far away we dont mind where we live. 2 adults and 2 boys 6 and 12. some os you have made central cost out to be rough with no economic future, what is it really like trying to find work as a brickie, we dont mind going up to newcastle area. please help someone. thanks xx
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brickie going to central coast ?????

Originally Posted by shazlee
hello, you all sound really friendly on here. found you yesterday. i must say you have scared my with your messages about brickies and the central coast area. we have family in northern beaches, sydney and central coast and as long as we are not too far away we dont mind where we live. 2 adults and 2 boys 6 and 12. some os you have made central cost out to be rough with no economic future, what is it really like trying to find work as a brickie, we dont mind going up to newcastle area. please help someone. thanks xx
Hi Shazlee

We are in the Hunter Valley about 50 mins from Newcastle. My extremely limited knowledge of the Central Coast consists of a lady I met who moved to here from The Entrance, her Husband had a small building company, work for him had dried up on the Central Coast and after placing an ad in our area, he found himself commuting to here, eventually they made the move to follow the work.

The other info came from my Dad, he has his own Painting firm in the Hunter Valley, any work he cannot take on, a Painter travels from the Central Coast to pick up his work.

Perhaps someone actually based in the area would be more qualified to put you straight on wha the reality is, I wouldn't base my decision on hearsay from a forum. See what replies you get from someone on the Central Coast.

In terms of Newcastle direction, work in the building Industry is good. My Husband is in the industry and got work after 1 week, jobs are always advertised. I will be getting the Newcastle Herald tomorrow, if you like I could see if there are many ads for Bricklayers, just to give you an idea. Also have a look on job websites, put in the Cental coast and see what comes back (you have probably done this already!!). In terms of location we can be in Sydney in just under 2 hours.

One last point, I am living in Cessnock, most opinions of the place are that it is the arse end of the earth and locals have a third eye in the middle of their head!!!! It couldn't be more different, I am on the doorstep of the Vineyards, which provide the most beautiful back drop as well as wonderful places to eat and visit, I have all the amenities I need in the Town, my children's schools are excellent, people have made me welcome, I am 50 minutes away from stunning beaches are Port Stephens and under 2 hours from Sydney for when I need my 'City Fix'!!! The point I am making is that sometimes you have to see for yourself and make your own mind up.

Good luck and don't panic just yet!!

Nikki
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:25 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Shazlee

We are in the Hunter Valley about 50 mins from Newcastle. My extremely limited knowledge of the Central Coast consists of a lady I met who moved to here from The Entrance, her Husband had a small building company, work for him had dried up on the Central Coast and after placing an ad in our area, he found himself commuting to here, eventually they made the move to follow the work.

The other info came from my Dad, he has his own Painting firm in the Hunter Valley, any work he cannot take on, a Painter travels from the Central Coast to pick up his work.

Perhaps someone actually based in the area would be more qualified to put you straight on wha the reality is, I wouldn't base my decision on hearsay from a forum. See what replies you get from someone on the Central Coast.

In terms of Newcastle direction, work in the building Industry is good. My Husband is in the industry and got work after 1 week, jobs are always advertised. I will be getting the Newcastle Herald tomorrow, if you like I could see if there are many ads for Bricklayers, just to give you an idea. Also have a look on job websites, put in the Cental coast and see what comes back (you have probably done this already!!). In terms of location we can be in Sydney in just under 2 hours.

One last point, I am living in Cessnock, most opinions of the place are that it is the arse end of the earth and locals have a third eye in the middle of their head!!!! It couldn't be more different, I am on the doorstep of the Vineyards, which provide the most beautiful back drop as well as wonderful places to eat and visit, I have all the amenities I need in the Town, my children's schools are excellent, people have made me welcome, I am 50 minutes away from stunning beaches are Port Stephens and under 2 hours from Sydney for when I need my 'City Fix'!!! The point I am making is that sometimes you have to see for yourself and make your own mind up.

Good luck and don't panic just yet!!

Nikki

hi nikki

we spent five weeks in cessnook last august and loved it
i know we were in "holiday mode" but i can definatley see the attraction

we stayed at the micro brewery on the edge of town which some some reason i cannot remeber the name of

and we travelled to sydney each week on the train to vist relies for the amazing cost of 34 bucks for the 3 of us ( couldnt belive the first time we went as we paid 50 bucks to park in sysdey for 2 hours the previous week )

o and our favorite vineyard my mcguigans god the made you feel so welocme with no pressure to buy kust taste the wine have a chat etc
( we ended up loving their black lable shiraz and drink nothing but know )

regards steve
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi nikki

we spent five weeks in cessnook last august and loved it
i know we were in "holiday mode" but i can definatley see the attraction

we stayed at the micro brewery on the edge of town which some some reason i cannot remeber the name of

and we travelled to sydney each week on the train to vist relies for the amazing cost of 34 bucks for the 3 of us ( couldnt belive the first time we went as we paid 50 bucks to park in sysdey for 2 hours the previous week )

o and our favorite vineyard my mcguigans god the made you feel so welocme with no pressure to buy kust taste the wine have a chat etc
( we ended up loving their black lable shiraz and drink nothing but know )

regards steve
Hi Steve

Yeeessss!!!!! A positive post about Cessnock!!!!! Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself, you probably stayed at Potters??

I know what you mean about the train, my O/H and I went to Sydney by train last time we were on holiday, my O/H couldn't believe the cost, so cheap when compared to what we would pay for a Manchester / London ticket!!

McGuigans is great, did you go to the Cheese Factory next door? My Step-Mum is the Manageress there!!

Regards

Nikki
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Steve

Yeeessss!!!!! A positive post about Cessnock!!!!! Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself, you probably stayed at Potters??

I know what you mean about the train, my O/H and I went to Sydney by train last time we were on holiday, my O/H couldn't believe the cost, so cheap when compared to what we would pay for a Manchester / London ticket!!

McGuigans is great, did you go to the Cheese Factory next door? My Step-Mum is the Manageress there!!

Regards

Nikki
potters that was the place

and yes we did go into the cheese place and came out with olives

mmm what happened there then