Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brickie exoduse from u.k

brickie exoduse from u.k

Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:07 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default brickie exoduse from u.k

i was just wondering will all the aussie bricklayers be moving over to england to take all the money as with the amount of brickies that are leaving this country to live in oz i dont know who's going to lay all the bricks here.

it seems everyone i talk to knows a bricklayer who is either moving to oz our is in the process.

i must know at least ten.

is Australia like Germany ,when the ferry's were full brickies seeking big money in Germany?

is there enough work for everyone?

what do the Aussies think of all the Brit brickies coming over?

would appreciate your comments.

Aston man

Last edited by aston man; Aug 4th 2006 at 9:12 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brickie exoduse from u.k

Originally Posted by aston man
i was just wondering will all the aussie bricklayers be moving over to england to take all the money as with the amount of brickies that are leaving this country to live in oz i dont know who's going to lay all the bricks here.

it seems everyone i talk to knows a bricklayer who is either moving to oz our is in the process.

is Australia like Germany ,when the ferry's were full brickies seeking big money in Germany?

Aston man

Well it seems a odd time to do it, interest rates have just hit the third rise since the election, more are predicted. Aussie TV claims they are now the highest in the world. Media is 100% doom and gloom where housing and cost of living is concerned.

Apart from a few property bubbles in certain areas, housing starts are cooling off, cant see a shortage of tradies in the popular coastal and city areas, plenty to go round already. Trying outback remote locations might be a better bet, or perth is in its own little bubble for the moment, will it continue with interest rates, many would say not.

Would give a bit of thought to the reality of the climate too, summers on its way, most pom tradies drop like flies, cant handle it and look for a career inside.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Aston man
I wouldn't worry about a lack of brickies in England, there are 600,000 Poles, Latvians, Lithuanians, Bulgarians and Romanians moving in to take their place.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:30 am
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I wouldn't worry about a lack of brickies in England, there are 600,000 Poles, Latvians, Lithuanians, Bulgarians and Romanians moving in to take their place.
LOL...maybe so and maybe they're cheaper, but they will never be as good
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:35 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
LOL...maybe so and maybe they're cheaper, but they will never be as good
Cheaper in rate but when it takes them double the time or worse you have to rebuild after 10 years because of shoddy workmanship which is cheaper??

Be proud of your profession the customer doesnt always go for cheapest rate
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:45 am
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Cheaper in rate but when it takes them double the time or worse you have to rebuild after 10 years because of shoddy workmanship which is cheaper??

Be proud of your profession the customer doesnt always go for cheapest rate
Too true !.....I've never had to advertise yet (thanx to word of mouth and recommendations) and its kept me going non stop with work for the last 23 years and counting.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:39 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

how strange that we all moan about poles and we are doing the same as them ,moving to a different country looking for health,wealth and happiness.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:44 pm
Banned

how strange that we all moan about poles and we are doing the same as them ,moving to a different country looking for health,wealth and happiness. dont we all deserve that,where ever you are from ?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:51 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Them eastern europeans work hard.I was on a site where I had to walk up 12 stories .I was moaning like ***** about the lift not working and I having to ship meter boards and tools and that on foot.I looked round at the Eastern Bloc labourers .They were shifting washing machines and fridges by hand step by step !! :scared: Mind you they were probably moaning too.I couldnt understand a word.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:24 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

how strange that we all moan about poles and we are doing the same as them ,moving to a different country looking for health,wealth and happiness. dont we all deserve that,where ever you are from ?
Mate dont confuse the issue of cheap labour with hard graft. What gets my goat is that building firms that use this cheap labour (and I refer to unqualified or unskilled) and then charge exorbidant rates.

If I am going to pay good money I want a tradesmen (should I call it a craftsmen) who knows his/her stuff and takes pride in their work not someone who is a clock watcher.

Does this makes sense to you? I also would be first to support anyone wanting to make a better life for themselves but just not at the expense of making up skills they dont have.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by thebears
Mate dont confuse the issue of cheap labour with hard graft. What gets my goat is that building firms that use this cheap labour (and I refer to unqualified or unskilled) and then charge exorbidant rates.

If I am going to pay good money I want a tradesmen (should I call it a craftsmen) who knows his/her stuff and takes pride in their work not someone who is a clock watcher.

Does this makes sense to you? I also would be first to support anyone wanting to make a better life for themselves but just not at the expense of making up skills they dont have.
i agree with you but i just found it strange that people comment about pole etc. coming here and then they myself included are off to pastures new themselves,its a sticky topic but i wanted to ask as i wondered what the Ozzy's thought of us coming over,do they have the same attitude to us as we do the poles etc.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:38 pm
Melbourne Australia

i agree with you but i just found it strange that people comment about pole etc. coming here and then they myself included are off to pastures new themselves,its a sticky topic but i wanted to ask as i wondered what the Ozzy's thought of us coming over,do they have the same attitude to us as we do the poles etc.
Guess its every where in the world. The people who feel threatened will always complain - but I dont see that many people feeling threatened over here.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Aston man
Plenty of Poles and various other eastern Europeans waiting to take any jobs they can in UK, and in time they'll all be taking jobs in Aus, as they're an employers dream!!!!!
But honestly myself I wouldn't consider brick laying in Aus as the weather must make it very uncomfortable and risks of skin cancer must be extremely high!
Oh and I don't know any brick layer who wants to go to Aus, but talking to someone yesterday who knows Michelle Marsh , her Uncle went to Aus years ago and came back after 2 weeks :scared: as he didn't like it!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:45 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Plenty of Poles and various other eastern Europeans waiting to take any jobs they can in UK, and in time they'll all be taking jobs in Aus, as they're an employers dream!!!!!
But honestly myself I wouldn't consider brick laying in Aus as the weather must make it very uncomfortable and risks of skin cancer must be extremely high!
Oh and I don't know any brick layer who wants to go to Aus, but talking to someone yesterday who knows Michelle Marsh , her Uncle went to Aus years ago and came back after 2 weeks :scared: as he didn't like it!

It aint just the brickies going to Oz it seems to me that a heck of alot of skilled tradesmen are on there way out there too.......i was talking to some guys at work this morning and we all said that the way it is going there will be no skilled workforce her in 15-20 years, there are no apprenticeships going on around here.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
her Uncle went to Aus years ago and came back after 2 weeks :scared: as he didn't like it!
Two weeks seems like a good amount of time to get to know a place. I bet he really got a feel for Aussie life in that time - met some good people, got his first pay cheque, took a few days in Tasmania to do some fishing. Fair enough I say after such an extensive expedition he must have made a very informed choice to return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.