British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brickie`s wages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brickie%60s-wages-431912/)

jeffseye Mar 3rd 2007 11:30 am

Brickie`s wages

There is going to be me my partner and our daughter aged 8 we dont live an expensive life stlye in the uk would i be able to support them on a bricklayers wage in australia .
Would need some sort of transport when living there for work and rent for a while would be taken £20,000 only with us any storys from anyone there is it possible i`m tending to sway with the idea that we will struggle even though i have said in other threads it`s rested my mind

thanks

etc Mar 3rd 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Brickie`s wages

My brother in law is a brickie from scotland, now in Aus. There is a labour shortage in perth at the moment for brickies. Yes you would be able to support your family if you worked as a brickie (all things being equal).

I hope someone can quote you accurate wage figures - I cant as my brother in law is now the contractor himself and he is raking it in and has a low tax bracket too.

I hazard a guess at around $300 (give or take) a day for 7-8 hour days as a bricklayer working for sub-contractor. Pretty loose figure sorry. I know brickies that are earning in excess of 2000 pw for 5 1/2 days.

I know my brother in law found it hard at first because he had to build up a reputation. that was in a vastly different economic climate (recession) though, and despite him finding it hard, he always found work. now that he has a rep and has built his own business - all is very well. as there is a current economic boom, a housing boom etc etc here in WA - I think things would be far easier at the moment as far as getting a start and getting known here.
After that - there is work a plenty for the foreseeable future here in WA.

average rent is 275 pw in perth and surrounding suburbs. for a 3 bedroom rental in the outer lying suburbs you would get away with 250-280 easy I think. to check go to www.realestate.com.au . rent may increase in the coming years a bit faster than normal (it already has) - as there is a housing shortage (less than 2% rental vacancy) and has been a dramatic lift in house prices.

(not sure hw it works for expats, but people entitled to welfare in Aus, if they fall on hard times or earn lower wages, can get rent assistance too, there are special provisions for brickies etc who may not work every day of every week)
(having said that, there is currently work avail every day of every week lol)

As far as a car goes, well as I said I can only speak for WA. yes you will need one especially as public transport is not really that good... (not terrible but not as prolific as in the UK)

If you get a small car though (new from 12 grand, second hand from 500 bucks :p ) and work for someone who provides the tools, you should be right. Otherwise if you are going to have your own tools you will need a ute. my bro in law is driving round in a banger that you could pick up for a couple of grand now, but it does the job!)

You should be able to arrange lifts to work with co-workers after a while so your wife can have the car.

hope that helps but also hope someone who knows the ins and outs of the trade can tell you more.