British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brick-veneer-homes-good-bad-279494/)

RockHopper Jan 23rd 2005 9:05 pm

Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 
We have been looking at property around the Canberra area and quite a few of the houses have been built with brick veneer. Does anyone have pros and cons to owning a brick veneer home?

Thanks

Siren & Brian Jan 23rd 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 

Originally Posted by RockHopper
We have been looking at property around the Canberra area and quite a few of the houses have been built with brick veneer. Does anyone have pros and cons to owning a brick veneer home?

Thanks


There is nothing wrong with brick veneer, just mean you have either a timer or metal stud wall inside and brick wall on the out. It works, keeps the rain out. I actually have 2 to build in the next few weeks.

MarkMyWords Jan 23rd 2005 11:05 pm

Re: Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Does anyone have pros and cons to owning a brick veneer home?

As opposed to...?

RockHopper Jan 23rd 2005 11:09 pm

Re: Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 

Originally Posted by Siren
There is nothing wrong with brick veneer, just mean you have either a timer or metal stud wall inside and brick wall on the out. It works, keeps the rain out. I actually have 2 to build in the next few weeks.

Thanks Brian

Seeing you in the trade, in and around Canberra the new houses seem to be built with double brick, would you know a reason for this and why the change from the vaneer.

Regards

MrsDagboy Jan 24th 2005 12:06 am

Re: Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Thanks Brian

Seeing you in the trade, in and around Canberra the new houses seem to be built with double brick, would you know a reason for this and why the change from the vaneer.

Regards

Cavity brick/double brick keeps the cold out better.

bondipom Jan 24th 2005 12:09 am

Re: Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Thanks Brian

Seeing you in the trade, in and around Canberra the new houses seem to be built with double brick, would you know a reason for this and why the change from the vaneer.

Regards

As Mrs DB points out double brick insulates much better. Canberra regularly goes below freezing in winter.

Quinkana Jan 24th 2005 1:26 am

Re: Brick Veneer Homes - Good or Bad
 
Double brick with no cavity insulation is slower and more expensive to heat and cool than brick veneer with cavity insulation.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:42 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.