Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bribing the kids

Bribing the kids

Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Bribing the kids

Originally Posted by wombat42
Do you Pom Parents have to bribe your kids to get them to do anything.
People on this forum have said PC has gone mad in the UK. Is this part of it, where you have to treat 7 year old kids as young adults. If they refuse to go to school instead of punishing them with a smack or something you have to sit down with them and negotiate some sort of bribe or payoff.
I dont think discussing or negotiating things with your kids is PC gone mad or treating them as young adults. I personally discuss things in a way that is appropriate to her age and treat her as a PERSON who has feelings of her own and allow her to air them freely.

As for suggesting that punishing your kids with a slap is the way forward then I would suggest your parenting skills are somewhat archaic. I think you will find most studies on the subject have proven that violence is not an effective parenting tool. It should not really have to result in using violence on your kids to get them to 'fall into line'

If you hit your children every time they misbehave then your relationship with them will be based on fear and that is not a situation that I personally wish to be in. I would rather enjoy a loving relationship with her.

As for the bribe - it was meant as a lighthearted thread

Obviously my daughter has been told the reality of the situation. Yes, we can have a dog, when we get our own place with a garden. However long that takes!! and we would have got one anyway as it is something i would also like.

Regarding your advice on the way to bring up kids - following your suggestions the saying 'people in glass houses.............' springs to mind.

Chill out wombat. You are like a bear with a sore head.
When did anyone mention the kids not going to school??? Go cause trouble on another thread- we were just trying to have a giggle. Heaven forbid!

Last edited by desperate2go; Jan 26th 2005 at 9:47 am.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:22 am
Professional Princess

Default Re: Bribing the kids

This trampoline thingy sounds very good.

Although I have some horrific memories (or should it be mammaries) of being 14 years old and doing a competition at school.

I was bouncing up and down as you do on the school trampoline.

When my sports top flew up, revealing a frilly white vest. Yes I say vest because Mother Nature hadn't given me breasts yet.

All the boys saw my 'bee stings' and I was the laughing stock.

Anyway, several years later and I developed and kept developing.

But if a trampoline is the accepted bribe for things, then I refuse to go to work until my husband gets me one.

I already have the dog and a ginger cat, and a trampoline to bounce on would seal the deal.

One thing, if you're in West London and you go near my house, you may just see me boucning up and down.

Only this time, instead of a vest, I will be blacking my eyes instead.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

my thoughts entirely,some people take things to seriously

tracey.
Originally Posted by desperate2go
I dont think discussing or negotiating things with your kids is PC gone mad or treating them as young adults. I personally discuss things in a way that is appropriate to her age and treat her as a PERSON who has feelings of her own and allow her to air them freely.

If you think that punishing your kids with a slap is the way forward then I would suggest your parenting skills are somewhat lacking. It should not really have to result in using violence on your kids to get them to 'fall into line'
If you hit your children every time they misbehave then your relationship with them will be based on fear and that is not a situation I wish to be in. I would rather enjoy a loving relationship with her.

Obviously my daughter has been told the reality of the situation. Yes, we can have a dog, when we get our own place with a garden. However long that takes!! and we would have got one anyway as it is something i would also like.

When did anyone mention the kids not going to school??? Go cause trouble on another thread- we were just trying to have a giggle. Heaven forbid!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

lol, lol, lol, i ve got this picture inmy mind of you with two black eyes jumping up and down on a trampoline,lol...dont worry id be the same if i used one good excersize though

tracey.
Originally Posted by Professional Princess
This trampoline thingy sounds very good.

Although I have some horrific memories (or should it be mammaries) of being 14 years old and doing a competition at school.

I was bouncing up and down as you do on the school trampoline.

When my sports top flew up, revealing a frilly white vest. Yes I say vest because Mother Nature hadn't given me breasts yet.

All the boys saw my 'bee stings' and I was the laughing stock.

Anyway, several years later and I developed and kept developing.

But if a trampoline is the accepted bribe for things, then I refuse to go to work until my husband gets me one.

I already have the dog and a ginger cat, and a trampoline to bounce on would seal the deal.

One thing, if you're in West London and you go near my house, you may just see me boucning up and down.

Only this time, instead of a vest, I will be blacking my eyes instead.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel

Have to say I`ve said a pool & dog too, although have been very honest about the whole move thing and they seem to be ok at the moment

Have to meet for lunch again soon

Sue
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Hi Sue

You are back!!

Pool and dog are all a part of the lifestyle arent they
Pool may have to wait for me though- unless a padddling pool counts.
Good luck tomorrow.
See ya soon for a

Rach
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

yo, sue, you managed to get on line again today, are you ok.

tracey.
Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi Rachel

Have to say I`ve said a pool & dog too, although have been very honest about the whole move thing and they seem to be ok at the moment

Have to meet for lunch again soon

Sue
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:55 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperate2go

As for suggesting that punishing your kids with a slap is the way forward then I would suggest your parenting skills are somewhat archaic. I think you will find most studies on the subject have proven that violence is not an effective parenting tool. It should not really have to result in using violence on your kids to get them to 'fall into line'

If you hit your children every time they misbehave then your relationship with them will be based on fear and that is not a situation that I personally wish to be in. I would rather enjoy a loving relationship with her.

Regarding your advice on the way to bring up kids - following your suggestions the saying 'people in glass houses.............' springs to mind.

here here
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

So far, we have promised the kids a pool, an iguana (hot country see) and a parrot but we're trying to point out that we won't need a parrot cos of all the lovely birds we'll get in the garden.

Also, holidays to GBR, etc. etc.

I have promised myself a big fast shiny motorbike!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
yo, sue, you managed to get on line again today, are you ok.

tracey.

Hiya Tracey ....Dare I say it but it seems to be working ok at the moment

Alls well just having a battle with the people that wanted to buy our house I think they`ve gone a bit mad?? STRESS

Meds tomorrow :scared:

Sue
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

first one to sign the contract...thats what i say,if your having trouble, :scared: good luck with your meds ill ring you tomorrow night and see how you got on.

tracey.

Alls well just having a battle with the people that wanted to buy our house I think they`ve gone a bit mad?? STRESS :

Meds tomorrow

Sue
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:22 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Alls well just having a battle with the people that wanted to buy our house I think they`ve gone a bit mad?? STRESS

Meds tomorrow :scared:

Sue
hi sue good luck for tomorrow with the meds
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cadman
So far, we have promised the kids a pool, an iguana (hot country see) and a parrot but we're trying to point out that we won't need a parrot cos of all the lovely birds we'll get in the garden.

Also, holidays to GBR, etc. etc.

I have promised myself a big fast shiny motorbike!
Id quite like a shiny motorbike too........but also a man to drive me round on it!!
The pool is looking like a more realistic prospect by the minute.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Was reading yesterday when someone said their kid didnt want to go, and immediately thought someone would reply, tell him he'll get a dog/horse/pool.

Having three kids who moved out here I reckon its a crazy thing to do, most people arrive and have to rent, so the pet thing will often be difficult, majority of rental houses dont have pools, too much bother for the landlord, so thats less likely too. Getting a dogs a crazy thing to do until you are sure your are not one of the many who head back to the UK after a while.

Most mum and dads are very stressed the first few months job hunitng etc, really think most kids will feel pretty cheated once they arrive and realise the more likely realistic situation of the first year. Hows your average 7 year old gonna feel when the ponies and backyards with koalas turn into mum and dad screaming at each other over wages or schools or cost of living

Not being rude just realisitic.
Yep, I agree with this, but we weren't shouting at each other - just not speaking at all - and then there were the days when I got home and did my budget and realised my money had been spent before I even had a chance to think about anything for myself or the house and I would just go to my room and cry for a while. But I promised my children they would have a better life here and they do, I promised them that it would be hard going but worth it in the end and it is. I think being honest with your children is very important, they have to come over to a new life, leave everything behind and start all over, you do not want them to have unrealistic expectations of how the first while is going to be. But a dog doesn't hurt and Wombat, I disagree with you - in the end the children will go where the adults want to go but it doesn't have to be a hateful experience. It's bad enough as it it without getting all authoritarian as well.

As for myself - well, I've promised myself a whole host of things - so many dreams so little time

Last edited by G'Day; Jan 26th 2005 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:49 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Do you Pom Parents have to bribe your kids to get them to do anything.
People on this forum have said PC has gone mad in the UK. Is this part of it, where you have to treat 7 year old kids as young adults. If they refuse to go to school instead of punishing them with a smack or something you have to sit down with them and negotiate some sort of bribe or payoff.
Its not just the kids that have been offered bribes, I have too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.