Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Breaking my rental agreement - Cleveland, anyone want a 3 bed rental?

Breaking my rental agreement - Cleveland, anyone want a 3 bed rental?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breaking my rental agreement - Cleveland, anyone want a 3 bed rental?

Hi everyone, my unit purchase goes unconditional today and we complete on 7th December, only 2 1/2 months into my 6 month rental agreement! :scared:
Anyone need a rental in this area from mid December - January? The place isn't posh but its right smack in the middle of town,next to the train station and close to Raby Bay, 3 bedrooms AND WAIT FOR IT...only $290 a week rent which is pretty good for round here. When we moved here we couldnt find anything and at the last minute got this place so I thought the estate agents wouldnt mind me shortening the lease but they wont. A few BE people have suggested that If I can find someone interested in moving in then they should be ok with it? So if your interested PM me!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking my rental agreement - Cleveland, anyone want a 3 bed rental?

I'd have it if its still available towards the end of January.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:40 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking my rental agreement - Cleveland, anyone want a 3 bed rental?

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi everyone, my unit purchase goes unconditional today and we complete on 7th December, only 2 1/2 months into my 6 month rental agreement! :scared:
Anyone need a rental in this area from mid December - January? The place isn't posh but its right smack in the middle of town,next to the train station and close to Raby Bay, 3 bedrooms AND WAIT FOR IT...only $290 a week rent which is pretty good for round here. When we moved here we couldnt find anything and at the last minute got this place so I thought the estate agents wouldnt mind me shortening the lease but they wont. A few BE people have suggested that If I can find someone interested in moving in then they should be ok with it? So if your interested PM me!
Apparently breaking a lease is a standard procedure throughout Oz. You give agents as much notice as possible - they advertise as soon as you have given notice with an 'available from' date (about a week after you move out to allow for checks etc) and you are liable for the rent until a new tenant is found. You also get your bond back as soon as the new tenants move in after the agents send the claim off. We broke our lease a few months ago and luckily only had to pay 3 weeks rent on it. I think the agents also charged us a weeks rent (or thats what it equated to) for advertising fees.

Good luck anyway!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Apparently breaking a lease is a standard procedure throughout Oz. You give agents as much notice as possible - they advertise as soon as you have given notice with an 'available from' date (about a week after you move out to allow for checks etc) and you are liable for the rent until a new tenant is found. You also get your bond back as soon as the new tenants move in after the agents send the claim off. We broke our lease a few months ago and luckily only had to pay 3 weeks rent on it. I think the agents also charged us a weeks rent (or thats what it equated to) for advertising fees.

Good luck anyway!
Hey thanks for the advice. I did ask them and they said they wouldnt consider it but I also got advised by someone else to wait until after xmas and ask again as thats when more people are looking at renting. So I'll deffo give it a go!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

fadgefieldclose is an unknown quantity at this point

hey how u doin. have u offloaded ur rental place yet ? were comin over jan 9th and need somewhere in that area. suppose its gone tho by now.
could u possibly let us know how u dropped on something like that. cheers derek n pat
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadgefieldclose
hey how u doin. have u offloaded ur rental place yet ? were comin over jan 9th and need somewhere in that area. suppose its gone tho by now.
could u possibly let us know how u dropped on something like that. cheers derek n pat
Hi there
To be honest I havent bothered too much yet as I just started work this week so have my hands full. I am still going to break the lease so if you get no joy before 7th December PM me (thats when I will be completing on the place I bought and will be looking at notifying the rental after that)
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

fadgefieldclose is an unknown quantity at this point

hi again. forgot to ask if there was any furniture in it ? were shipping our stuff over and haven,t got a thing except clothes ? thanks derek
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadgefieldclose
hi again. forgot to ask if there was any furniture in it ? were shipping our stuff over and haven,t got a thing except clothes ? thanks derek
will pm you
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kellyjs
will pm you

Re Breaking Lease

I spoke to someone today who broke the lease early in the contract - she only lost abut 70$ because she sought advice from rental bond people, advertised property, arranged viewings - a 15 minute slot just like agencies, they took the applications, passed on to agency who were no help whatsoever, they moved out, new tenants moved in - problem solved.

Sue