Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which branch of nursing????

which branch of nursing????

Old May 18th 2005, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

fictionalsummer will become famous soon enough
Default which branch of nursing????

Hi there, i don't venture in here very often, I wonder if anyone can help... at present I'm doing my nurse training and about to branch. I'm still in two minds which branch to choose mental health (my original choice) or general nursing. I'm looking to move to Oz some time after I qualify possibly Queensland, anyone know which would put me in the best position to moving down under and what type of oportunities are available for both types of nursing.
THANKYOU FOR ANY ANSWERS GIVEN, F.S.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which branch of nursing????

Originally Posted by fictionalsummer
Hi there, i don't venture in here very often, I wonder if anyone can help... at present I'm doing my nurse training and about to branch. I'm still in two minds which branch to choose mental health (my original choice) or general nursing. I'm looking to move to Oz some time after I qualify possibly Queensland, anyone know which would put me in the best position to moving down under and what type of oportunities are available for both types of nursing.
THANKYOU FOR ANY ANSWERS GIVEN, F.S.
Sorry F.S.

I do not think you can decide your future career on which branch of nursing will make migration easier.

They are like chalk and cheese.

I was a nurse tutor/lecturer ( all disciplines) but have mainly worked in Mental health.

The reality is that any nursing Qualification will get you into Australia.

You are more likely to get a good permanent post in MH but the job will be very different to the UK.

You will get work as an RGN but it is more likely to be on a casual basis.

It all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do.

Personally I do not think you can work properly in mental health simply because it makes migration easier. I would quesion your motivation if I were an employer. I would also be a bit concerned about your professional ethics

At the end of the day it is up to you.

G
Old May 19th 2005, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

fictionalsummer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sorry F.S.

I do not think you can decide your future career on which branch of nursing will make migration easier.

They are like chalk and cheese.

I was a nurse tutor/lecturer ( all disciplines) but have mainly worked in Mental health.

The reality is that any nursing Qualification will get you into Australia.

You are more likely to get a good permanent post in MH but the job will be very different to the UK.

You will get work as an RGN but it is more likely to be on a casual basis.

It all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do.

Personally I do not think you can work properly in mental health simply because it makes migration easier. I would quesion your motivation if I were an employer. I would also be a bit concerned about your professional ethics

At the end of the day it is up to you.

G
Thankyou G for your reply,

Sorry if the thread sounded as though I would focus my whole nursing career
on a move to another country and yes you would be right to question my motivation and proffesional ethics.

I've been studying for three yeays to get this far (which I know does'nt mean much) and if what motivated me was a move to Oz, I would have given up long ago. I understand nursing is about giving and I would never continue if I did'nt think I could make a positve difference in a persons life. What does motivate me is a genuine love for people, to promote their healing and to care and nurse them in a proffessional manner.

I know I could develope and suit both branches which is why I'm questioning which branch would suit me? Obviosly nursing is a long term career and I'm looking at long term goals. Sorry again if I came across as totally self centered.

I would appreciate if you have time to briefly explain how mental health nursing differs from Australia to the UK.
THANKS AGAIN, FS.
Old May 19th 2005, 1:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fictionalsummer
Thankyou G for your reply,

Sorry if the thread sounded as though I would focus my whole nursing career
on a move to another country and yes you would be right to question my motivation and proffesional ethics.

I've been studying for three yeays to get this far (which I know does'nt mean much) and if what motivated me was a move to Oz, I would have given up long ago. I understand nursing is about giving and I would never continue if I did'nt think I could make a positve difference in a persons life. What does motivate me is a genuine love for people, to promote their healing and to care and nurse them in a proffessional manner.

I know I could develope and suit both branches which is why I'm questioning which branch would suit me? Obviosly nursing is a long term career and I'm looking at long term goals. Sorry again if I came across as totally self centered.

I would appreciate if you have time to briefly explain how mental health nursing differs from Australia to the UK.
THANKS AGAIN, FS.
Hi FS

Sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh. I did not really mean it to be.

My advice would be to follow whichever branch interests you most or which you enjoy.

You may be working for a long time so need to get it right.

I would be happy to give you my views on the Australian system but will do it by PM later.

There have been several less than positive posts by other MH nurses on the Forum. It really depends on which state you wish to work in as standards vary quite widely.

G