Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brain Picking - where would you buy in Perth?

Brain Picking - where would you buy in Perth?

Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:33 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brain Picking - where would you buy in Perth?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I wouldn't touch Perth these days unless it was a house I wanted to live in. I do believe the days of sitting back and watching the price go up is largely a thing of the past. Of course there will be blips but Perth saw such massive raised from 03 to 09 I do not believe it will be repeated again or even or even close in this cycle.

The mining seems to be shedding numbers of staff and the boom was after all the reason for Perth prices to go sky high in everything including housing.
Without a boom I don't see a lot of folk remaining here as there are plenty of other places paying big bucks for those in the area.

I know folk here seem to have some blind soldered faith in housing but I've the feeling it's been done. Anyway I have been looking at investment for sometime and shyed away from Perth prices.
You were saying this over 3 years ago mate

Like others have said, Perth has a distinct shortage in rentals and there is no sign of this letting up anytime soon. I see this all the time as new migrants who join the company that I work for consistently struggle to find rentals.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Yep. Should be better than 4.85% term deposit plus the aim is to buy a fixer upper or one with land to build a second home - all tax deductable. I aim to negatively gear the purchase to offset tax owed and storage costs for my furniture (500 per month!!). Happy to be convinced its a crap idea....??
It is the costs around namely deeds, strata title fees, insurance, rates, water,management fees, little growth in prices with a possible decline....but I would never attempt to convince anyone it is a crap idea,we're all adults.....but living in the inner city and seeing my house price increase way over 200% in eight years does get me thinking prices shot over the mark... nobody has convinced me otherwise.....and pay little attention to industry related opinion with self interest in the matter.
I guess France is no longer an option..............in the moving department......
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
You were saying this over 3 years ago mate

Like others have said, Perth has a distinct shortage in rentals and there is no sign of this letting up anytime soon. I see this all the time as new migrants who join the company that I work for consistently struggle to find rentals.
And prices have gone down,mate,even with a rental shortage. I know folk have have been unable to get prices and have reduced in order to sell. Your point about rentals is true for the moment ......but numbers are being reduced in mining from my understanding.
I've been associated with WA a long time and am yet to be convinced the boom bust cycle is still not part of the way things pan out here.
At the end of the day it's only a forum guys.....none have any special insight and only go on gut feeling...all is lakker....
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It is the costs around namely deeds, strata title fees, insurance, rates, water,management fees, little growth in prices with a possible decline....but I would never attempt to convince anyone it is a crap idea,we're all adults.....but living in the inner city and seeing my house price increase way over 200% in eight years does get me thinking prices shot over the mark... nobody has convinced me otherwise.....and pay little attention to industry related opinion with self interest in the matter.
If you can find a property that has the potential to be developed later, by subdividing or re-building/renovating, then you have to do a bit more homework understanding the planning rules in Perth, which vary from one council to another. Plus there's also the potential for the WA govt to decide that we should all be living in units and pack us in like sardines, more and more suburbs seem to be going that way. Property investment is usually a long-term strategy and if people expect to make a profit in a short period they could get badly caught out. TE, try www.somersoft.com for loads of info.

You don't get all that strata stuff if you buy a house, and it might not apply to small groups such as up to 4 dwellings, but you'd have to check on that. I'm not sure about how much a property manager charges, it might be 8-10% of the rental. There's also other charges such as inspection fees, re-leasing fees and anything else they can get away with, such as hefty tradesmen fees if something needs repairing or replacing. Landlord's insurance is worthwhile but costs a bit more.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
If you can find a property that has the potential to be developed later, by subdividing or re-building/renovating, then you have to do a bit more homework understanding the planning rules in Perth, which vary from one council to another. Plus there's also the potential for the WA govt to decide that we should all be living in units and pack us in like sardines, more and more suburbs seem to be going that way. Property investment is usually a long-term strategy and if people expect to make a profit in a short period they could get badly caught out. TE, try www.somersoft.com for loads of info.

You don't get all that strata stuff if you buy a house, and it might not apply to small groups such as up to 4 dwellings, but you'd have to check on that. I'm not sure about how much a property manager charges, it might be 8-10% of the rental. There's also other charges such as inspection fees, re-leasing fees and anything else they can get away with, such as hefty tradesmen fees if something needs repairing or replacing. Landlord's insurance is worthwhile but costs a bit more.
Indeed there are many costs to factor in and by my calculationd not a great return after deductions. Folk will always argue the toss as is their right but I only say how I see it.

I don't see great capital growth at around 3 to 4% with low capital growth..
Of course over the last 30 years ou could have looked a genius by buying something and sitting on your hands waiting for it to go up,so it is not really very surpring that such myths persist.

I know a couple building on a block at the moment as well. Works ok if you can do a lot of the work yourself and/or with mates help. Once outside labour are used costs go up rather sustantially.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
They do at the moment, I think so anyway. Rentals are incredibly scarce, not surprisingly since our house prices have risen so dramatically!

You do need to pick your area carefully though. You could spend $400,000 on a very nice 3x2 house in a suburb with a poor reputation, and only get $300 per week in rent. Or you could spend the same amount on a dinky (by Oz standards) 2x1 flat in Mt Lawley and get $500 a week.

Location, location,....you know the rest
Yes I agree with the old real estate parlance of location. Do have a few rental properties as well with mixed results.

There are so many costs to be factored into the plan to buy to rent. Strata fees are something to be really considered. They can even amount to more if essential work is considered necessary. So many owners don't attend meetings. Rates and water around $2,000 a year.....the costs go on. With inflated prices here in Perth,I think I can find better places to park money.