Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Braces - Orthodontics

Braces - Orthodontics

Old Oct 9th 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough
Talking Braces - Orthodontics

For all parents worrying about the cost of braces for their children I thought I would share our recent experience. My eldest daughter came here with her braces already fitted so we had to find an Orthodontist to continue her care. She needs the applicance (fixed) for the next twelve months after which time she will have a retainer (a removable appliance they wear at night or so we thought). This was discussed with the dentist who advised that rather than a removable retainer here in Australia they now fit the retainer to the back of the teeth. This gives the child the feeling of not having the appliance nor the appearance of wearing one but ensures they wear it and finish treatment. If you can imagine its just a single wire behind the teeth. This will be worn for approximately 1 year. The total cost of all this is $2,000.00 payable over two years.
Our younger duaghter needs a brace and we saw the Orthodontist last week who quoted us $3,000.00 for the total package - start to finish, again payable over two years.
So for any parents out there that was interested to know the costs I thought I would share our experience with you. If you are wondering why I'm posting at 04.15am I'm working the night shift
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Braces - Orthodontics

No wonder your working nightshift to pay that off.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough

Hi Bordy,
Yes working nights to pay the extra. Relatives in UK said rather than send presents for christmas and birthday's they will put money into an account each month which basically means half will be paid by them. Fantastic for us, kids not so keen, but hey at that price they are getting a life long present. Not so sure they will be so convinced come christmas though .
Tried to edit own post due to awful spelling mistakes, hard at this hour.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally Posted by MistySunshine
For all parents worrying about the cost of braces for their children I thought I would share our recent experience. My eldest daughter came here with her braces already fitted so we had to find an Orthodontist to continue her care. She needs the applicance (fixed) for the next twelve months after which time she will have a retainer (a removable appliance they wear at night or so we thought). This was discussed with the dentist who advised that rather than a removable retainer here in Australia they now fit the retainer to the back of the teeth. This gives the child the feeling of not having the appliance nor the appearance of wearing one but ensures they wear it and finish treatment. If you can imagine its just a single wire behind the teeth. This will be worn for approximately 1 year. The total cost of all this is $2,000.00 payable over two years.
Our younger duaghter needs a brace and we saw the Orthodontist last week who quoted us $3,000.00 for the total package - start to finish, again payable over two years.
So for any parents out there that was interested to know the costs I thought I would share our experience with you. If you are wondering why I'm posting at 04.15am I'm working the night shift
You're lucky my daughter had braced fitted 10 months, $4,900 for the whole package payable in 26 months, now she has gone off with the boyfriend and i'm left with the bill.
I have 2 jobs both night shift!!!!!

Mandy
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
You're lucky my daughter had braced fitted 10 months, $4,900 for the whole package payable in 26 months, now she has gone off with the boyfriend and i'm left with the bill.
I have 2 jobs both night shift!!!!!

Mandy
Hi Mandy,
After reading your post it has made me think that the cost is not bad all things considered. The youngest daughter it also includes a plate fitted. Not quite sure what it is, but something along the lines of a plate on the roof of her mouth to help her jaw in positioning. Well find out tomorrow when it is fitted.
As regards your daughter I'm sorry your left with the bill. Don't know what I would do in your position. Your post made me feel I have nothing to moan about.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

That price you quoted seems rather cheap to me, It cost us x 2 , on both our adult daughters, over 5,000 Aud each, once they had been through all the associated treatment that goes along with it, both had jaw surgery as well though, this was about 8 years ago.

Both my wife and I were both nightshift workers then, My wife just got off of nights after 15 years.

Looks like we have to do the same thing with our youngest two as well, one is 11 so about 2-3 years for her before we start, and the youngest 7, so another 7 years for him.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered one thing we did do, and it is a little known, but very good advice that our tax accountant gave us, was have the treatment done, both in the same year. As medical expenses once they go over a certain limit are tax deductable as the full rate of tax.

Doubt if we will be able to do that with our younger two, as there is a four year age difference dammit.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:09 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just remembered one thing we did do, and it is a little known, but very good advice that our tax accountant gave us, was have the treatment done, both in the same year. As medical expenses once they go over a certain limit are tax deductable as the full rate of tax.

Doubt if we will be able to do that with our younger two, as there is a four year age difference dammit.

Good point Ozzie, make sure you keep the reciepts if you get it paid before June next year & take them to your accountant when you get your tax done next year.

Its a right nightshift thread this one, everyone on it so far works nights.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bordy
Good point Ozzie, make sure you keep the reciepts if you get it paid before June next year & take them to your accountant when you get your tax done next year.

Its a right nightshift thread this one, everyone on it so far works nights.
Does the tax thing still work if you are paying it monthly? I thought you had to pay it in one payment to get tax back?

Mandy
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's what you pay in the course of a year, I think it has to be above 5,000 Aud on Medical expenses in one year before you get any tax back.

I think from memory, we got 40 pct of anything above the 5,000 that we spent in that year, and on our accountants advice, we bought everything we thought we had to in the space of that year.

We will try the same when it's the younger two's turn.

A Good tax accountant is valuable asset in Aussie.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MistySunshine

That is so cheap get it in writing or check out his qualifications , as others have said 2/3 times those amounts have been paid by others on here.

Tax save your medical receipts once over $1500 you get 20C in the $1 back, so on $2000 you get a refund of $100. If the item was something you can claim on medicare, say a docs visit $50 and you got back $28 you can only claim tax back on the $22. Dental is not covered by medicare.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I read it on the ATO E-tax was anything over $1500 out of pocket medical expenses. Any amounts claimed back from Medicare or health insurance would not count towards the $1500.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
That is so cheap get it in writing or check out his qualifications , as others have said 2/3 times those amounts have been paid by others on here.

Tax save your medical receipts once over $1500 you get 20C in the $1 back, so on $2000 you get a refund of $100. If the item was something you can claim on medicare, say a docs visit $50 and you got back $28 you can only claim tax back on the $22. Dental is not covered by medicare.
Hi thanks for the advice on checking his qualifications and getting quote in writing. We got the two quotes and treatment plan saying that this was the total amount. Our daughter is under Professor David David here (a top cranio-facial surgeon) and he recommended us to go with this Orthodontist as he is very well qualified - BDSc (Queensland) D ORTH RCS (England) MS (Rochester New York) and also a Fellow of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons England. Although my husband did check his qualifications and asked several people. I appreciate what you are saying though as I would not have known where to start as regards checking them out with price comparisons but then ensuring you get good treatment also. I now feel that we are fortunate as regards the cost issue.

Ozzieeagle, thanks for the tip. We have commenced both their treatment this tax year so will tell hubby to sort it out. Thanks for the advice.