Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bought house - need broadband/utilities etc, HELP!

Bought house - need broadband/utilities etc, HELP!

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bought house - need broadband/utilities etc, HELP!

Hello all,

We get our house on Friday and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Can you help?

We need to arrange broadband, phone, electric, foxtel/other, etc.

How do you do it here? How would I go about, for example, keeping the existing electricity supplier for now?

We are in Helensvale, Queensland. I know nothing about broadband speeds etc but we use the internet a lot and my son downloads stuff (movies, music etc). I assume that we could get a good deal by getting the phone and broadband through the same supplier and we would want overseas calls incuded in the package. Could anyone recomend a good value company to go with please?

Any help gratefully received. This is very stressful
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:10 am
Just Joined

mrsm2u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bought house - need broadband/utilities etc, HELP!

I'd call either optus or telstra & go for an all in package for your broadband, phone & foxtel if you want that. They can take ages to set things up so the sooner you decide, the better. You may get cheaper deals by going to separate companies but it's more hassle & Telstra own the lines for broadband so you may end up paying Telstra for an installation whichever company you use.

I'm with Telstra, my husband downloads the entire internet so we pay loads but you can change your plan whenever you feel like it. We pay an extra $10 to have an international call service & I call Spain & the UK for ages & it doesn't go over my $10 prepay. I think that UK is .02c per minute if you do go over. It's well worth taking this package.

I'm with a company called Tru for my gas and electricity just because they had a deal with my lettings agent. But I'm in Sydney so they may not be available to you. They do gas & electric & they can find out who your house is with & apply for the change.

Good luck with the move.

Last edited by mrsm2u; Mar 23rd 2009 at 1:14 am. Reason: missed a bit
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Just been through this. I used, since I had little info to go on in regards costs v usage, direct connect

www.directconnect.com.au

who do it all for free (they get paid by the utility company they use). It was worth it for less hassle and again, because you have no comparison, and the companies they use have decent rates, it made sense to use them and let them do the work.

I did home phone seperate to broadband in the end since it did not make much differecne. Went with Telstra for the home phone and TPG for the broadband. TPG I'd recommend - I use their VoIP service for pratically free calls to the UK.

Foxtel - just went to their stall in the local mall and signed up there and got everything sorted. I had a phone number at the time, which is the first thing to sort as it then makes Foxtel and internet easier to sort or compare.

Good luck
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:26 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will stay with the default energy providers unless you change. Just call a few like Origin, AGL, TRU, Integral to get a quote. If you have reticulated gas most of the above should offer both.

If you get Foxtel you could get CABLE broadband (over the Fox connection not the telohone wire) which is fast. If so, bundle Bigpond, Telstra landline and FOxtel together to get some savings.

Telstra offer low intenraitonal call costs as someone else mentioned but I think use of calling cards (like DAYBREAK) may be a beeter and ultimatley cheaper service. You can of course use VOIP.

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hello all,

We get our house on Friday and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Can you help?

We need to arrange broadband, phone, electric, foxtel/other, etc.

How do you do it here? How would I go about, for example, keeping the existing electricity supplier for now?

We are in Helensvale, Queensland. I know nothing about broadband speeds etc but we use the internet a lot and my son downloads stuff (movies, music etc). I assume that we could get a good deal by getting the phone and broadband through the same supplier and we would want overseas calls incuded in the package. Could anyone recomend a good value company to go with please?

Any help gratefully received. This is very stressful
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:38 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You need to ring an electricity supplier with the date of your move. They will need to take a final read for the old owner, and start to bill you. Otherwise the first time you might see them is when they come to switch off your power in 3 weeks. There's not much difference between the prices ( so much for competition ). You can get a compare here. http://www.thepowertochoose.qld.gov....ty/pricing.cfm

As for phones, iinet.com.au also do joint phone/internet. As with all things Oz what out for contract periods and exit fees.