British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Botany Bay - any thoughts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/botany-bay-any-thoughts-315461/)

Waheeda Jul 22nd 2005 2:33 pm

Botany Bay - any thoughts?

My partner and I are moving to Sydney just as soon as we've closed the business here in London hopefully before November. We're thinking about moving to Botany - can anyone help and let us know what Botany is like and if it's easy to get to the CBD and beaches from there?? Our other choice of area is Abbottsford anyone from there??

Storini Jul 22nd 2005 7:35 pm

Re: Botany Bay - any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Waheeda
My partner and I are moving to Sydney just as soon as we've closed the business here in London hopefully before November. We're thinking about moving to Botany - can anyone help and let us know what Botany is like and if it's easy to get to the CBD and beaches from there?? Our other choice of area is Abbottsford anyone from there??

Well the main international airport (Kingsford-Smith) is down that way, so you wouldn't want to get under the flight paths.

HeatherandTim Jul 22nd 2005 9:12 pm

My thoughts are No. There are so many nicer suburbs. Do some more research before settling. Dont know Abbotsford at all so cant comment on that. What about the Northern Beaches....fantastic

soapy© Jul 23rd 2005 1:25 am

like heather and tim says, theres plenty of other areas round about that are nicer. dont really like botany and it is on the flightpath.
try looking at.
little bay
malabar
maroubra
south coogee
coogee
randwick
they are all within 10 mins of botany and 5 mins from a beach.
20 mins to the CBD by car.
it depends on where u want to work?

soapy© Jul 23rd 2005 1:26 am

this link might give u a better idea
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315258

Waheeda Jul 23rd 2005 9:13 am

Thanks guys - I will carry on with the research. Its just all so confusing and difficult to do from here!

NickyC Jul 23rd 2005 9:29 am

Agree with the others - Botany is not currently the best suburb in town.

Having said that, it is probably the cheapest 'eastern suburb' and is supposedly ripe for capital gain over the next few years - or so the real estate agents tell us.

It's a mixture of residential and industrial (a few chemical works plus a container terminal) as well as being very close to the airport. Always been a working-class suburb with mainly small weatherboard houses, but recently a lot of new townhouses have been built there and the demographic is definitely changing.

It's very well placed for both the city and the beaches, so it's position can't be faulted.

If you have to live in the East and it's all you can afford then it's probably not a bad investment. Otherwise, I'd recommend heading north to one of the real beach suburbs.

MrsDagboy Jul 23rd 2005 11:23 am

Originally Posted by nickyc

Having said that, it is probably the cheapest 'eastern suburb' and is supposedly ripe for capital gain over the next few years - or so the real estate agents tell us.

It's a mixture of residential and industrial (a few chemical works plus a container terminal) as well as being very close to the airport. Always been a working-class suburb with mainly small weatherboard houses, but recently a lot of new townhouses have been built there and the demographic is definitely changing.

It's very well placed for both the city and the beaches, so it's position can't be faulted.

If you have to live in the East and it's all you can afford then it's probably not a bad investment. Otherwise, I'd recommend heading north to one of the real beach suburbs.

NICKY!! Been worried about you - glad to see you back safe & sound from the UK :) .

bondipom Jul 24th 2005 7:34 am

Originally Posted by nickyc

Do you think the agents are trying to flog all those new apartments down that way? Mountains of Meritons:scared:. Anyone buying there should also be aware of the location of the toxic plume that is leaking towards botany bay. The legacy of old chemical works.

soapy© Jul 24th 2005 9:02 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bondipom
Do you think the agents are trying to flog all those new apartments down that way? Mountains of Meritons:scared:. Anyone buying there should also be aware of the location of the toxic plume that is leaking towards botany bay. The legacy of old chemical works.

ok brain box whats this. i found it down at lappa today :confused: its on the track to the golf course and shootin range.
lets see how good u are ;)