Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boring, sensible, tedious thread - sorry!

Boring, sensible, tedious thread - sorry!

Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:13 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future
Talking Boring, sensible, tedious thread - sorry!

Having a fit of the sensibles tonight (oo-er), and was wondering if I could get some advice. I have read through the really helpful ' all the info you need, parts 1 - 3' threads, and searched round for other info, but could use some advice on the following:

Is it advisable to (did people, or do they wish they had) take things with you like printouts of medical records, Vet records, credit card history, bank statements etc?

Is it worth getting a credit reference thing (from experian / equifax) to prove I am creditworthy, or will this be meaningless in Australia?

What other sorts of sensible things am I forgetting?

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:37 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Boring, sensible, tedious thread - sorry!

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
Having a fit of the sensibles tonight (oo-er), and was wondering if I could get some advice. I have read through the really helpful ' all the info you need, parts 1 - 3' threads, and searched round for other info, but could use some advice on the following:

Is it advisable to (did people, or do they wish they had) take things with you like printouts of medical records, Vet records, credit card history, bank statements etc?

Is it worth getting a credit reference thing (from experian / equifax) to prove I am creditworthy, or will this be meaningless in Australia?

What other sorts of sensible things am I forgetting?

Cheers
Credit history means nowt in Oz...you are basically starting from scratch, which is a bit of a pain in the arse........on saying that (hubby did have a job mind u) we got mortgage.....credit card no probs

They dont seem interested in the medical history either unless you have an ongoing condition. You need kids vacination records.

Even down to the car insurance and home insurance they just beleived us r no claims discount bla bla we had no hassles there either.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:43 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
Credit history means nowt in Oz...you are basically starting from scratch, which is a bit of a pain in the arse........on saying that (hubby did have a job mind u) we got mortgage.....credit card no probs

They dont seem interested in the medical history either unless you have an ongoing condition. You need kids vacination records.

Even down to the car insurance and home insurance they just beleived us r no claims discount bla bla we had no hassles there either.
Our car insurer (Vero) wanted to see our no claims bonus from the UK. Different insurers will probably require different things...

Being a pessimist I'd say bring certified copies of every document you can think of to Oz, and if you don't need it, great.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

If you know anyone in Australia make sure you have their address as for some credit checks you may have to provide a reference from someone who knows you who've lived here for a year or longer.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, take a year's bank and utility statements, plus letters from insurers, BUPA etc. Costs nothing and can and will be a great help.

Beware insurers who "take your word for it"! Fine until you have a claim, and then they may well ask for the proof: will you be able to retrieve it 5 years down the line? Better to get written acceptance from them that they have sen and accepted the previous record at the outset.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:12 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

Thank you to all who replied - looks like belt and braces for this sensible chick!